Advice Request Freedome vpn added malware protection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am new to F-Secure Total, so far I have only installed SAFE. I like it!! running it in vm. I have not installed Freedome, yet. I already have a vpn that I have been using for several years, and it works great. Little or no slowdown. No logs. I'm somewhat reluctant to install Freedome thinking maybe it will mess up my already installed vpn. A valid concern? I see F-Secure claims or implies Freedome is an additional protection against malware websites. Is that true? I think my current vpn offers standard vpn privacy, but does not block websites. With SAFE I also have F-Secure browser extension, so other than privacy provided by vpn, does Freedome actually provide more malware protection?? Does Freedome keep logs??
PS I went to F-Secure website and tried to use their chat, but it said it was block by a browser extension!? Curious, I checked the extensions and was not obvious that any were blocking their chat.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-Secure Freedome does keep logs. They are very upfront and honest about it, and for several reasons. One good example:
After all, our goal is to secure your privacy when browsing the web, not securing your anonymity when committing crimes.

PS I went to F-Secure website and tried to use their chat, but it said it was block by a browser extension!? Curious, I checked the extensions and was not obvious that any were blocking their chat.
Very typical issue because of adblockers. Been there done that. Disable the extra extensions one by one in your browser and refresh the page to help pinpoint. That normally should do the trick. Also remember to scroll down on the page as the chat window is located in the right bottom corner.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
F-Secure Freedome does keep logs. They are very upfront and honest about it, and for several reasons. One good example:

Very typical issue because of adblockers. Been there done that. Disable the extra extensions one by one in your browser and refresh the page to help pinpoint. That normally should do the trick. Also remember to scroll down on the page as the chat window is located in the right bottom corner.
fwiw, there's a Sep 2020 review of freedome in PCmag, seems fair, article put it into some context for me with comparisons. So I installed freedome ok. No obvious issues, but it does seem a tad slower than the other vpn I use, so I say to myself yeah but it perhaps adds some protection at least on paper. :whistle: Speedtest DN= 9.50 Mbps. ISP is giving me 450 Mbps. Very prelim info, I need to do better testing re speed. I was hoping to 30 - 50 with freedome. Hey Question with Freedome running any need for the F-Secure browser extension?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
fwiw, there's a Sep 2020 review of freedome in PCmag, seems fair, article put it into some context for me with comparisons. So I installed freedome ok. No obvious issues, but it does seem a tad slower than the other vpn I use, so I say to myself yeah but it perhaps adds some protection at least on paper. :whistle: Speedtest DN= 9.50 Mbps. ISP is giving me 450 Mbps. Very prelim info, I need to do better testing re speed. I was hoping to 30 - 50 with freedome. Hey Question with Freedome running any need for the F-Secure browser extension?
Seen other reviews say similar and other vendors comes with much more options, servers etc. So yeah it's many times fair reviews, but as always one need to try to be sure. My own small tests I always came back to Freedome and one reason been the speed, but that's with their local server.

If you only use Freedome and not SAFE, there is no need for using the browser extension as Freedome works system wide. But with SAFE installed, it's highly recommended as it's a requirement for several features in SAFE.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
1666424349838.png
It does, however I couldn't find a page it blocks quickly.
Works similar to Google Safe Browsing (also part of Brave Browser,...), extensions like AdGuard (actually an Adblocker) or Bitdefender Traffic Light, and last but not least the products by AV vendors (K7 also intercepts malicious pages, without the need of any extension).
The VPN does not need a extra extension to do it's magic.
EDIT: The feature has been here for years, never interrupted any AV I used. Simply does not give you access to non-trusted pages (no skip option like in some Browser extensions). If you still want to access, turn off with the button shown in screenshot.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Seen other reviews say similar and other vendors comes with much more options, servers etc. So yeah it's many times fair reviews, but as always one need to try to be sure. My own small tests I always came back to Freedome and one reason been the speed, but that's with their local server.

If you only use Freedome and not SAFE, there is no need for using the browser extension as Freedome works system wide. But with SAFE installed, it's highly recommended as it's a requirement for several features in SAFE.
good info, thanks, but yesterday Freedome was slow for me. But I did few tweaks on vm system and everything is faster today, but have not checked Freedome today, yet.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
View attachment 270192
It does, however I couldn't find a page it blocks quickly.
Works similar to Google Safe Browsing (also part of Brave Browser,...), extensions like AdGuard (actually an Adblocker) or Bitdefender Traffic Light, and last but not least the products by AV vendors (K7 also intercepts malicious pages, without the need of any extension).
The VPN does not need a extra extension to do it's magic.
EDIT: The feature has been here for years, never interrupted any AV I used. Simply does not give you access to non-trusted pages (no skip option like in some Browser extensions). If you still want to access, turn off with the button shown in screenshot.
thanks!! Right now I'm running my usual vpn in vm, and gee on the keyboard and screen it feels as fast as real win10 direct connection, ie, not running a vpn! I like the speed of my long standing vpn, sadly did not see that with Freedome last night, but need to play with it some more (since I do have the license).

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, good news, today Freedome vpn is running acceptably fast. So good! Giving me a good impression today. Just my impression sitting at keyboard. No reason to "test" its speed because its running at normal good speed.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've been having intermittent sluggishness issues with my VM, but I think not related to freedome. I called FS today about licensing clarification, and asked them about malware protection provided by freedome, ie, how does it add security provided by SAFE and their browser extension. If I understood tech correctly, it's the same malware protection but blocked at their server rather than at your pc. It's mostly blocking ads that could have malicious links. I'm going to try freedome on my host win10 and compare "feel" of speed with my current vpn.

Reactions: Sorrento

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I did install Freedome 2.55 on my win10. Now see it as nicely fast, in fact some things even run faster / snappier thru vpn. I like it. I suspect it will become my primary vpn. I will probably keep my other vpn as a backup as servers do go down every once in a while, ie, my experience.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I thought later versions of F-Secure don't ask you to do that? - However, with Shadow Defend not running go into Program Files & delete the three .exe files & dump them in recycle bin - Then install your F-Secure clone then afterward restore the Shadow Defender files from the bin, will work OK then. :)
:)

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I did install Freedome 2.55 on my win10. Now see it as nicely fast, in fact some things even run faster / snappier thru vpn. I like it. I suspect it will become my primary vpn. I will probably keep my other vpn as a backup as servers do go down every once in a while, ie, my experience.
Best VPN I've ever used in my iPhone, by far.

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I thought later versions of F-Secure don't ask you to do that? - However, with Shadow Defend not running go into Program Files & delete the three .exe files & dump them in recycle bin - Then install your F-Secure clone then afterward restore the Shadow Defender files from the bin, will work OK then. :)
:)
Thank You I will give that a try

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.