Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014

Release 17.9 beta 1 (4.40.860):
New features:
  • New Event history window. This dialog now has the similar look and feel with App and file control, and it is run as a separate process, thus the product will be consuming less memory while the Event history window is not open.
  • Custom proxy address now supports authenticated proxies.
Fixed issues:
  • Scan Wizard crashes if you clear the event history with the "scan started" event (PBL-6715)

--

Attached the new Event history window.

Attachments

• 1593775101995.png
    1593775101995.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 934

Level 1
Verified
Dec 30, 2017
Currently on beta 3

Release 17.9 beta 3 (4.40.1961):
New features:

• Rewritten fsscan.exe (the command line and scheduled scanner). Scan reports are now identical with reports created by scan wizard.
  • Added support for DuckDuckGo search engine (PBL-7035)
Fixed issues:

• Various cosmetic and functional issues with Events history view (PBL-6806, PBL-6793, PBL-6879, PBL-6831, PBL-6801)
  • PBL-6659 In Scan wizard, the description text on the "restart needed to clean malware" window is not fully visible is some languages
  • PBL-6861 Harmful file's location may be missing from the scan report after a quick scan

Level 1
Verified
Dec 30, 2017
Release 17.9 beta 4 (4.40.2309):
New features:

- New Banking Protection notification. This dialog has been rewritten and now better handles large resolutions.
- App and file control dialog (excluded items, quarantine) now allows you to select multiple items and perform operations to them.

Fixed issues:

- Various cosmetic issues

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Can someone please explain the main difference between consumer version and beta ? Is it better ? How do you like the GUI ?
The beta is.... well... a beta. It is a representation of what the next stable release will be. It is of course designed to improve the product but bugs in the meantime can lead to worse protection than the stable product.
The recent trend has been that they’ve been trying to facelift the UI to be consistent with their shiny new design language but they have been putting in good things under the hood. 17.8 surprisingly brought AMSI as well as a better DeepGuard that tries harder to keep an eye on “trusted” processes that could be exploited to do dirty deeds.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Another thing is, F-Secures Beta version is 100% free. Still, I always recommend using the stable version. One also have to consider that F-Secures support is not the same and support is many times much more important then people think about. Especially when one sooner or later comes to that moment when it's time to reach out.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Release 17.9 beta 5 (4.40.2634):
New features:

• Scheduled scanning logic was modified, duplicate entries for same infections should not happen any more
  • The file scanning phase in Scan wizard is now shown with green color instead of yellow (PBL-7099)
  • Settings / Support page has an option to turn on debug logging
  • Banking Protection notification is now shown on every monitor (PBL-7109)
Fixed issues:

• SAFE_BUG-03093: Scanning report shows placeholder for more than 100 not scanned items (PBL-7083)
  • Scan Wizard freezes on large collection (30000+) (PBL-6837)
  • Product does not fully uninstall if it was uninstalled and upgraded before (PBL-7053)
  • "am/pm" is shown in Windows 10 if 24 format is chosen (PBL-7119)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I like the UI tweaks/changes they done, but I'm curious about the removal of the memory scan. For some reason dropped from the Ultralight core and the UI change only visible on the beta version for now as seen in the video. Will be fixed for the next upcoming version, in November.
I'll probably try reach out this upcoming week and ask a bit more.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014

Release 17.9 beta 6 (4.40.2908):

New features:

• USB drive scan: when a USB drive is inserted, a notification will be shown, allowing the user to scan it with a click of a button. These notifications can be disabled from Scanning settings. In non-English installations, the notification texts are not readable, this will be fixed in the next release (also the setting description is not translated yet).
Fixed issues:

• Settings "product support" text changed to "customer support" (PBL-7177)
  • New banking frame prevents taskbar access (PBL-7174)
  • Scan looks hanged when scan completed very fast (PBL-7171)
  • Banking protection green frame now show also for a 2nd display during the banking session (PBL-7160)

Level 1
Verified
Dec 30, 2017
Release 17.9 beta 8 (4.40.3255):
Fixed issues:

"USB device found" flyer notification texts are now also shown in other languages than English
USB device found flyer is not shown if you plug the device again under OSFMount drive emulation (PBL-7260)
The "Run support tool" button text is not pronounced by Narrator (PBL-7181)
Storage device "scan" button text does not fit in the flyer on Windows 7/8 (PBL-7238, note that in non-English installation, this issue still remains)
AMSI gets disabled when Virus protection (real-time scanning) is disabled (PBL-7234)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Forgot to share a bug that I reported which I found a few weeks ago. It is related to F-Secure's removal engine.
They first very nicely acknowledged the bug or in their words, a "limitation" of the product. But he didn't think it's something serious and said it won't be prioritized. Then I tried to make my case and explained it in more details and even showed an example how this can be easily fixed by following what ESET does. This time he accepted that it's a problem and should be fixed.
Now I doubt whether it's going to be fixed soon because some other older and more important bugs haven't been fixed yet. But he said the proposed solution shouldn't be too difficult. So let's see if they do anything.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I wonder if posting here @ MT, etc. will give give them a nudge, or do they even bother with forums?
I don't think they notice forum posts. I created this bug using their beta program and surely they listen to any bug reports reported by beta testers.
He said he created an internal ticket so the devs will notice this but the priority is not set to high I think, so not expecting this to get fixed soon.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.