Advice Request G-Data is using a load of RAM.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well, I saw many of you guys saying that G-Data got very light over the years and that ur systems feel pretty snappy with it. I personally have quite a good pc and don't really notice any slowdown, still I'd like to know why the memory usage is so high - even higher than ZoneAlarm when i last tested it.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,471

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
I don't know why you don't contact the support? You pay for it, contact the support.

Using more RAM doesn't mean that isn't Light... GData it's more lighter than the past.

Maybe he's monitoring a suspicious process or program running in your computer? BEAST and DeepRay have that feature to check behaviour.

Here in MalwareTips we can't solve your problems with Antivirus, you should contact the antivirus company.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I chose the wrong word then. Cause it feels light on my system, or at least it doesn't make it slow by any means. Still the memory usage is way too high. The support told me to turn off every shield and restart the system after disabling every shield individually. That took me quite a while and didn't change anything. So i reinstalled G Data and still no changes. Bill already said that it's also the case on his system, so it might just have a high memory usage in general. Hope it will be fixed in future versions, cause it really seems like a great product.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
I think you missunderstood, resource usage =/= light, what it means by light is the impact on system performance, still, that is an unnaccaptable amount.

No, that is wrong. Because it's consuming more RAM doesn't mean that will impact on system performance.

Do you want a example? Lets think you have Website A and Website B, they host the same website with the same size of DB.

Website A have a VPS with 4GB RAM

Website B have VPS with 2.5GB of RAM

Can website B, be more fastest than A? Of course, server side optimizations, web server optimization, gzip compression, and many other things can make Website B more faster than the A.

Why? Because isn't only have 4GB, optimization and tweaks is important to balance and make it more faster.

That can be the case of GData. Like Bill K said, is using memory but no impact. That's the key. If isn't impacting your system performance why are you complainting about?

IMO.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
BD engine tends to use lots of RAM when you have more than 8GB of RAM
Emsisoft also uses the BD engine and it wasn't using nearly as many resources as G Data when i last tried it. But if it's really the BD engine then let's hope that they switch to Avira soon, as Bitdefender's signatures are going downhill anyway.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
No, that is wrong. Because it's consuming more RAM doesn't mean that will impact on system performance.

Do you want a example? Lets think you have Website A and Website B, they host the same website with the same size of DB.

Website A have a VPS with 4GB RAM

Website B have VPS with 2.5GB of RAM

Can website B, be more fastest than A? Of course, server side optimizations, web server optimization, gzip compression, and many other things can make Website B more faster than the A.

Why? Because isn't only have 4GB, optimization and tweaks is important to balance and make it more faster.

That can be the case of GData. Like Bill K said, is using memory but no impact. That's the key. If isn't impacting your system performance why are you complainting about?

IMO.
Thats what I litteraly said, I litteraly just said that if it uses a lot of resources it does not mean it slows down your system

Reactions: Kongo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Emsisoft also uses the BD engine and it wasn't using nearly as many resources as G Data when i last tried it. But if it's really the BD engine then let's hope that they switch to Avira soon, as Bitdefender's signatures are going downhill anyway.
Hi SecureKongo ,this might be worth a try, Prosses Lasso it is a free program that can help regulate your system(Used to be popular before windows 10) If anything else allows lots of tweaks gl

Reactions: bribon77 and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hi SecureKongo ,this might be worth a try, Prosses Lasso it is a free program that can help regulate your system(Used to be popular before windows 10) If anything else allows lots of tweaks gl
It’s described as a CPU optimization-tool. That won’t help, cause the CPU usage is pretty low. The only problem is the high RAM consumption. Thanks for your recommendation anyway :)

Emsisoft in default settings only scans at access
Enabled on access scan in G Data. Still no big difference...

Mr7ech

Feb 17, 2020

I also experience high memory usage but only with this product. And I've tried a lot of alternatives before.
And I fully support using an Avira engine instead of Bitdefender. Hope to switch to another engine G DATA.

Reactions: Kongo and bayasdev

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Every G Data user of either AV, IS, or TS versions of home product lineup, to improve the overall performance of the system should have set "Only check on execution"
1.JPG

Then disabling/un-checking "Check system areas during system start", thus will get you faster loading up times and snappier starts, recommended is to double ensure system is completely malware-free before setting this, safe example is after clean format of fresh Windows install.
2.JPG

Next is having to monitor some of your critical folders in particular, like shared folders in your network, OneDrive/Google Drive, that means those folders are always checked on read and write access e.g. I have only AppData monitored as particulary it's the common place for malware to be dropped at first.
3.JPG

And last but not least, is at the Web Protection section, set "Only check downloads up to a size of 10 MB" to either 1 or 2 MB, depending on your connection speed - you do not want your AV to increase your internet page loading speeds noticeably..
4.JPG

If you still feel system is sluggish or not acting as you wanted, get rid of the modules you are not using, G Data gives you that option, either before installation, or after at the "Apps & Features" selecting G Data and hitting "Modify" next to "Uninstall"
1.1.JPG

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Every G Data user of either AV, IS, or TS versions of home product lineup, to improve the overall performance of the system should have set "Only check on execution"
View attachment 242308

Then disabling/un-checking "Check system areas during system start", thus will get you faster loading up times and snappier starts, recommended is to double ensure system is completely malware-free before setting this, safe example is after clean format of fresh Windows install.
View attachment 242310

Next is having to monitor some of your critical folders in particular, like shared folders in your network, OneDrive/Google Drive, that means those folders are always checked on read and write access e.g. I have only AppData monitored as particulary it's the common place for malware to be dropped at first.
View attachment 242311

And last but not least, is at the Web Protection section, set "Only check downloads up to a size of 10 MB" to either 1 or 2 MB, depending on your connection speed - you do not want your AV to increase your internet page loading speeds noticeably..
View attachment 242312

If you still feel system is sluggish or not acting as you wanted, get rid of the modules you are not using, G Data gives you that option, either before installation, or after at the "Apps & Features" selecting G Data and hitting "Modify" next to "Uninstall"
View attachment 242313
Thanks a lot! :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.