Advice Request G-Data is using a load of RAM.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I BOUGTH IT and i felt it was very heavy . I just uninstalled it
I am using it on HP laptop i3 4GB Ram and SSD and the system is very responsive. No delays and no slowdowns.

Screenshot (83).png

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
I am using it on HP laptop i3 4GB Ram and SSD and the system is very responsive. No delays and no slowdowns.

View attachment 242799

People are so scared when they see some AV using memory RAM, even if it doesn't impact on the performance of the system. They complaint. No reason to do that.
If doesn't have any delays or slowdowns why complaint about usage of RAM?

Nonsense.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
People are so scared when they see some AV using memory RAM, even if it doesn't impact on the performance of the system. They complaint. No reason to do that.
If doesn't have any delays or slowdowns why complaint about usage of RAM?

Nonsense.
Yes, most users do not understand that the use of RAM does not mean that it is heavy, use of RAM makes the program faster, more responsive, without weighing the processor, RAM is made to be used. If you like your program because it consumes little RAM, be careful, as it is probably running out of processor and this is being heavy. The GDATA is super light, I never had any problems with it.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes, most users do not understand that the use of RAM does not mean that it is heavy, use of RAM makes the program faster, more responsive, without weighing the processor, RAM is made to be used. If you like your program because it consumes little RAM, be careful, as it is probably running out of processor and this is being heavy. The GDATA is super light, I never had any problems with it.
Already the second person who said that RAM is made to be used. Yea, thats true but definitely not from the security solution that most people want to forget after installing it. If you have a PC with 16gb of RAM it might be no problem, but there are people out there with less.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Already the second person who said that RAM is made to be used. Yea, thats true but definitely not from the security solution that most people want to forget after installing it. If you have a PC with 16gb of RAM it might be no problem, but there are people out there with less.

If you have less, you can't blame the AV. That is your problem.

For that reason they have trial, who bought something without trying? They have trial for that reason.

ESET is very light and if you care about that you should go with them.

Now, don't say "it's consuming a lot of RAM" when you have the trial available for 30 days before purchase.

You can go with Webroot, but they don't are so good. You will have a light AV. I prefer ESET instead Webroot

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If you have less, you can't blame the AV. That is your problem.

For that reason they have trial, who bought something without trying? They have trial for that reason.

ESET is very light and if you care about that you should go with them.

Now, don't say "it's consuming a lot of RAM" when you have the trial available for 30 days before purchase.

You can go with Webroot, but they don't are so good. You will have a light AV. I prefer ESET instead Webroot
So you basically say people who don't have have enough money to buy a better system but want to be protected, need to go with a solution like Webroot (which isn't good) or a free AV, just cause the solutions with good protection are using half of their RAM and even want money for that? Also nobody said that I bought the product or if i tried the trial to test it out. So stop making up stories. I'm using ESET atm, and its working great and barely uses any RAM. The intention of my post was to find out if there is a problem with the software or if it's normal that it uses so many resources. Anyway, hope you get my point. :)

Reactions: Trooper

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
So you basically say people who don't have have enough money to buy a better system but want to be protected, need to go with a solution like Webroot (which isn't good) or a free AV, just cause the solutions with good protection are using half of their RAM and even want money for that? Also nobody said that I bought the product or if i tried the trial to test it out. So stop making up stories. I'm using ESET atm, and its working great and barely uses any RAM. The intention of my post was to find out if there is a problem with the software or if it's normal that it uses so many resources. Anyway, hope you get my point. :)

Wait, you don't want to use a solution that use half of their RAM but you don't want to have a better system? Who is the fault here? From AV Company? They don't force you to use their solution.

You must accept that they are using RAM. If you don't want they use RAM choose another AV Company. What you want? They lower their RAM usage for you bought?

The same argument, you can use "I don't have a money, so I want to purchase this AV but is expensive I don't have money, instead I want to have it"

You will force they accept your money? You will force they to lower their prices because you don't have enough money to buy their product?

Sorry, things doesn't work like this. If you don't have better System, choose another solution that will fit with your system. Simple as that.

You have three choices:

1. Accept the usage of RAM of AV and use it.
2. Upgrade your System and use it.
3. Don't use them.

Hope you get my point ;)

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Wait, you don't want to use a solution that use half of their RAM but you don't want to have a better system? Who is the fault here? From AV Company? They don't force you to use their solution.

You must accept that they are using RAM. If you don't want they use RAM choose another AV Company. What you want? They lower their RAM usage for you bought?

The same argument, you can use "I don't have a money, so I want to purchase this AV but is expensive I don't have money, instead I want to have it"

You will force they accept your money? You will force they to lower their prices because you don't have enough money to buy their product?

Sorry, things doesn't work like this. If you don't have better System, choose another solution that will fit with your system. Simple as that.

You have three choices:

1. Accept the usage of RAM of AV and use it.
2. Upgrade your System and use it.
3. Don't use them.

Hope you get my point ;)
Yes I do, even tho I don't really wanna accept it cause you're replying like you own G-Data and want to protect it with your life :ROFLMAO:. Anyway, it's true that there are only those three options. But let me explain what I mean. It's just like buying a bad optimized game which has so much potential but isn't playable on most machines. Thats basically the same with G-Data. Everybody, or at least most people should be able to use it, and not only people with high-end machines. I'm not saying that it is not like you said, I'm just saying that G-Data products are not in an acceptable state in my opinion. Even tho they use Bitdefender's engine, they can be improved a lot in terms of RAM usage. G-Data was always known for being pretty heavy, which I don't feel now anymore. The only problem is the RAM usage which can be improved with a Engine switch for example. Now I'd appreciate it if you could stop acting "super smart" and rather try to get what I'm trying to say :cautious:.

Reactions: Trooper

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Purchased after the Trial version? Are you able to get a refund?
Even cancelling the subscription is a pain... You have to fill out a form and send it to them. I wouldn't even want to know how it goes with refunds :ROFLMAO:.
But that was some years ago when i bought a subscription, not sure how it works now.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Even with 8GB of RAM, unless you often have many browser tabs open, or run other memory intensive software, then the amount of RAM used by your AV should not matter. People are obsessed about how much RAM security software uses, when browsers will often use much more. In Windows 7, in some cases, Windows Update would use well over 1.5 gigs of RAM, but people are more concerned about how much RAM an AV uses.

If you have 4GB or less, then memory usage by antiviruses may be something to consider. If you have more than that, in my opinion, it's not even worth checking how much RAM is being used.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Even with 8GB of RAM, unless you often have many browser tabs open, or run other memory intensive software, then the amount of RAM used by your AV should not matter. People are obsessed about how much RAM security software uses, when browsers will often use much more. In Windows 7, in some cases, Windows Update would use well over 1.5 gigs of RAM, but people are more concerned about how much RAM an AV uses.

If you have 4GB or less, then memory usage by antiviruses may be something to consider. If you have more than that, in my opinion, it's not even worth checking how much RAM is being used.
Even over 4gb the lower ram plus more IO usage can decrease so much performance from specific workloads.
But low ram system slow old HDD can even affect some lighter use cases or even make some programs / games fail to run in your low end system ( personal experience).

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Even over 4gb the lower ram plus more IO usage can decrease so much performance from specific workloads.
But low ram system slow old HDD can even affect some lighter use cases or even make some programs / games fail to run in your low end system ( personal experience).
Good old Minecraft days, when you thought 15 FPS are just fine, cause you never played on a "real" pc :ROFLMAO:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
After installing it, remember to do full scan(all of your drives). So subsequent scans are a lot faster and applications etc start faster, because i think, its then only check hash of the files. It's somewhat slow when installing new programs etc. If i remember this right, it's keylogging protection only protects web browser(s) by default. That's why it fails SpyShelter keylogger test in all programs other than browsers. So if you want to add keylogging protection, for example Steam, you need to add steam.exe and steamwebhelper.exe etc.

Kind regards,
-sepik

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.