App Review G DATA Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
G DATA Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Simple and red. All the options are nicely accessible thru tabs.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
It uses the Bitdefender engine and in-house engine and the protection is really good. Every malware sample or phishing website is blocked.

The behavior blocker is one of the best I have ever used.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
Time spent using product
Computer specs
HP mini tower
i3 ( 2015 )
Nvidia
10GB RAM
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Multi-user devices
  5. Financial banking or trading
  6. High-end or medium spec PCs
  7. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
The reason is what happens in the removal process is that, even though we select "delete" as the recommended option G data first tries to "dis infect" that file if fails -> Delete. If this check occurs on huge pack, then as expected process time would be long.

As of date, i see no trick to bypass this default "dis infect" action.

Last edited:

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
just grabbed the g-data trial (antivirus only, not the total) on my test VM, installed ok, kind of annoying it needed to update the program after id just installed it by a supposed web installer... and then it had restart apps/service, then 2 minutes later said it needed a windows restart...

anyway, extracted from zip 1800 samples from the past 8-10 days to downloads folder.... it did nothing, didnt spot anything by itself.. (i wasnt running malware, just extract to static folder for static scan)
but then manually ran a scan on the folder, and sure enough it picked up a lot 1712 of the samples, missing 80 or so
i clicked on execute actions to quarantine.... and it just sat there for an hour, doing nothing, restarted machine, same again, it detects and finds the items quick,. but cannot remove them.
I then rebooted again and attempted to uninstall... up popped a website "gdata has been uninstalled", minimized and in the background was this.....
gdata.png

seems pretty slow & buggy.
luckily I just reverted to fresh checkpoint on VM, but if this was a live machine, it could cause someone issues

past few days have tried out sophos/kav/bd/wd/f-secure safe and so far g-data is the only fail (maybe just bugs)

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
just grabbed the g-data trial (antivirus only, not the total) on my test VM, installed ok, kind of annoying it needed to update the program after id just installed it by a supposed web installer... and then it had restart apps/service, then 2 minutes later said it needed a windows restart...

anyway, extracted from zip 1800 samples from the past 8-10 days to downloads folder.... it did nothing, didnt spot anything by itself.. (i wasnt running malware, just extract to static folder for static scan)
but then manually ran a scan on the folder, and sure enough it picked up a lot 1712 of the samples, missing 80 or so
i clicked on execute actions to quarantine.... and it just sat there for an hour, doing nothing, restarted machine, same again, it detects and finds the items quick,. but cannot remove them.
I then rebooted again and attempted to uninstall... up popped a website "gdata has been uninstalled", minimized and in the background was this.....

seems pretty slow & buggy.
luckily I just reverted to fresh checkpoint on VM, but if this was a live machine, it could cause someone issues

past few days have tried out sophos/kav/bd/wd/f-secure safe and so far g-data is the only fail (maybe just bugs)
Seems like something with your system. I test like crazy and all is well

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Seems like something with your system. I test like crazy and all is well
nothing with the system, clean updated win10 VM in a HV production checkpoints used to restore back between each product....
just been doing the same with EmsiSoft, thats also a great solution!
G-Data is just buggy and slow (well more than slow, it failed to remove static samples thats it did correctly identify, and failed to uninstall correctly)
Glad works for you and you are happy with it

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
nothing with the system, clean updated win10 VM in a HV production checkpoints used to restore back between each product....
just been doing the same with EmsiSoft, thats also a great solution!
G-Data is just buggy and slow sorry
Are you the same person as Lothar ?
Bashing is your hobby ?

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Are you the same person as Lothar ?
Bashing is your hobby ?
lol who is lothar?
I wouldn't go praising something that doesn't work, if your happy with it good! glad it works. Im not "bashing" it either, I just gave it a bsaic test in the same way ive tested a few others in the past few days, the only one to fail has been g-data, thats not a bash, its just what happened, maybe i needed to leave it longer than 1 hour to do something?

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
lol who is lothar?
I wouldn't go praising something that doesn't work, if your happy with it good! glad it works. Im not "bashing" it either, I just gave it a bsaic test in the same way ive tested a few others in the past few days, the only one to fail has been g-data, thats not a bash, its just what happened, maybe i needed to leave it longer than 1 hour to do something?
Pls get rid of your x86 system and buy something new. You are funny

Reactions: Venustus

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
im not the one being overly protective and childish, I just tried the product in a VM doing the same tests ive done in the past few days with exactly the same configuration and G-data stalled when it came to trying to remove, possibly it was too high a count of samples in reality 1800 is a lot for it to process) (but none of the others failed)
Its obviously a good product as it has users out there and it gets great VB tests...G-data have been around for years... It just wouldnt be my choice after that test, its not a BASH, happy it works for you, and keeps you protected.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The new update from yesterday made the removal fast. They are improving the product everytime
I haven't used G Data for quite some time, so I decided to try it again to see if the speed of quarantining files has improved. The version of G Data installed on my test PC was over a year old and when I checked for product updates, it said there were none. I downloaded the web installer, and it download and installed v25.5.11.316 from July of 2021. When I launched G Data after the upgrade, it found a newer version, but refused to install it because I'm running and old build of Windows 10.

It's a shame that old version of January of 2021 did not find any product updates. Right now I can't upgrade to a newer build of Windows due to there not being enough free disk space. I will resize some partitions to free up space and try again and then see if I can update G Data. I've got nearly 40 other antiviruses installed on the same computer and none of them have issues with running on outdated Windows 10 builds.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I haven't used G Data for quite some time, so I decided to try it again to see if the speed of quarantining files has improved. The version of G Data installed on my test PC was over a year old and when I checked for product updates, it said there were none. I downloaded the web installer, and it download and installed v25.5.11.316 from July of 2021. When I launched G Data after the upgrade, it found a newer version, but refused to install it because I'm running and old build of Windows 10.

It's a shame that old version of January of 2021 did not find any product updates. Right now I can't upgrade to a newer build of Windows due to there not being enough free disk space. I will resize some partitions to free up space and try again and then see if I can update G Data. I've got nearly 40 other antiviruses installed on the same computer and none of them have issues with running on outdated Windows 10 builds.

use this tool after uninstalling GData and reinstall after a reboot again

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.