App Review G DATA Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
G DATA Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Simple and red. All the options are nicely accessible thru tabs.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
It uses the Bitdefender engine and in-house engine and the protection is really good. Every malware sample or phishing website is blocked.

The behavior blocker is one of the best I have ever used.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
Time spent using product
Computer specs
HP mini tower
i3 ( 2015 )
Nvidia
10GB RAM
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Multi-user devices
  5. Financial banking or trading
  6. High-end or medium spec PCs
  7. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Same as F-Secure They need to change that Bug Defender Engine with Avira :)
A G Data continues with Bitdefender because it knows it's the best option, they don't need the Avira subscription to become better, the security modules are many and effective, in addition to Bitdefender they have their own engine (ClosedGap), they have the cloud , behavior blocker (one of the best on the market) and the DeepRay protection that when I tested it on the HUB proved to be very strong and active, G Data is a solid company, they don't mess with the team that is winning.

And always in my tests Bitdefender subscriptions were faster than Avira. That is, it makes no sense to leave a company that is one of the best in the world to go to another that has always been in decline and that was bought by another security company not for its potential, but for the number of fixed customers for the brand, Avira has unfortunately become a very bad security product and no light at the end of the tunnel.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Same as F-Secure They need to change that Bug Defender Engine with Avira :)
Avira engine is terrible (bad detection of script malware, inadequate heuristic ability, and heavily rely on the Cloud) and is the main weakness of F-Secure. Avira’s malware analysis team is terrible, too. They even marked two MBR Lockers as “clean” twice!

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avira engine is terrible ( heavily rely on the Cloud)
Also i suspect their cloud is connected to Metadefender / Virustotal api .Since i have seen a pattern of suspicious .detections from early hour samples i collected were only detected by a handful of enterprise expert cyber companies (3-4) , were also getting blocked by APC upon execution.

Clearly some "api linked hash based scanner" is in use, however AVIRA is nevertheless a good monster signature giant. Their PUP / Joke / Scam tools detection is one of the best i have seen

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Also i suspect their cloud is connected to Metadefender / Virustotal api .Since i have seen a pattern of suspicious .detections from early hour samples i collected were only detected by a handful of enterprise expert cyber companies (3-4) , were also getting blocked by APC upon execution.

Clearly some "api linked hash based scanner" is in use, however AVIRA is nevertheless a good monster signature giant. Their PUP / Joke / Scam tools detection is one of the best i have seen
Attack techniques change over time. There are an increasing number of fileless attacks in the wild. If Avira does not update its detection technologies, it will become obsolete.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
G DATA always performs towards the lower end of the scale in lab tests of exploits, fileless, malicious scripts, and banking trojans. It's lab test record does not inspire confidence.

Completely wrong.
Gdata uses Bitdefender's engine, which is very well known in detection, and their own engine.

Having tested it yesterday in private, it gave me back a healthy machine even though I was not nice to it (RAT, Bot, VBS Script, Excel Exploit etc)
Everything was detected and quarantined.

He also has his BB which is BEAST and DeepRay which are excellent.

Please look at the MalwareTips tests, or test yourself before saying wrong things...

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Completely wrong.
Gdata uses Bitdefender's engine, which is very well known in detection, and their own engine.

Having tested it yesterday in private, it gave me back a healthy machine even though I was not nice to it (RAT, Bot, VBS Script, Excel Exploit etc)

Please look at the MalwareTips tests, or test yourself before saying wrong things...
Mind sharing a video if you made one ?

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Completely wrong.

Not wrong at all. Just check out G DATA results at avlab.pl or others. G DATA always performs below average in properly designed and implemented professional antivirus lab tests.

G DATA worse than average for banking protection:

G DATA worse than average (almost the worst) for fileless malware:

MalwareHub is not professional testing. It is testing performed by non-professionals using amateur methodology.

Nobody is talking about signatures here. Detection by signature is a joke. Nobody can take any review seriously that emphasizes detection by signature.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.