App Review G DATA Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
G DATA Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Simple and red. All the options are nicely accessible thru tabs.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
It uses the Bitdefender engine and in-house engine and the protection is really good. Every malware sample or phishing website is blocked.

The behavior blocker is one of the best I have ever used.
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
Time spent using product
Computer specs
HP mini tower
i3 ( 2015 )
Nvidia
10GB RAM
250GB Samsung Evo SSD
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Multi-user devices
  5. Financial banking or trading
  6. High-end or medium spec PCs
  7. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Shadowra is just a Youtube tester. Not an authority. Even a 5 year old can craft a test and give you the result you want.

There are lots of valid complaints about G DATA. It taking forever to quarantine malicious files is one of them. That issue, along with many others, have been on the forums for a long time. G DATA is a "sustainment" project and its publisher is only applying marketing updates once every few years.
I ask you nicely, pls stop polluting this forum.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Ok. The detection rate is awesome and when you stumble on 20+ malware at once ? Never gonna happen
While in real life scenarios it won't happen, you did say that removal is now fast. This is why I went to the trouble of upgrading Windows and testing again, only to find it's just as slow as before.
The new update from yesterday made the removal fast.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Shadowra is just a Youtube tester. Not an authority. Even a 5 year old can craft a test and give you the result you want.
I am not on YouTube, proof that you don't read anything.
And stop insulting my work and those of others!
If you don't like it, don't watch.
I've proven enough as a tester.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

I am not on YouTube, proof that you don't read anything.
And stop insulting my work and those of others!
If you don't like it, don't watch.
I've proven enough as a tester.
People that make video tests are called Youtube testers. You just are not a professional tester and your video tests only give a basic indication of protection capabilities, based mostly upon signatures. These are not criticisms. They are statements of fact.

Most products you rate as excellent shall fail under professional advanced testing.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
People that make video tests are called Youtube testers. You just are not a professional tester and your video tests only give a basic indication of protection capabilities, based mostly upon signatures. These are not criticisms. They are statements of fact.

Most products you rate as excellent shall fail under professional advanced testing.

With your message, you prove again that you have not seen any test.

The protocols of these testing companies and mine are different.
They use a more or less dated archive and do an analysis. Some use Zero-Days but the portion is quite small.

On my side, all links or files are up to date.
On the pack, I mix. I put a lot of Zero-Days, some dated and some old to see the reaction of the antivirus.
If I decide that an Antivirus is effective, it is.
And I remind again that the tests, whether it is me or others, are to be used in comparison with others and not to be based on one!

NB : I don't test only signature detections 😉
Please don't talk when you don't know please....

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

If I decide that an Antivirus is effective, it is.
You are a Youtube tester. It is just your opinion. It is unfortunate if it hurts your feelings, but Youtube testers don't have a lot of credibility, even the well-established ones who have been around for 10+ years.

Unless antivirus testing is done to a well-accepted framework, such as AMSTO, then it may or may not meet the bare minimum standard. You Youtubers and Malware Hub testers keep referencing that you use Zero-Day malware, as if you are the only ones doing it. In some established AV lab tests, 100% of the malware samples or test frameworks are 100% Zero-Day. So you are not doing better testing, not even with a stretch of the imagination. And at least the labs test all AV against the same threats at the same time in a properly controlled environment, whereas Youtube testers just test 1 product at a time.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
You are a Youtube tester. It is just your opinion. It is unfortunate if it hurts your feelings, but Youtube testers don't have a lot of credibility, even the well-established ones who have been around for 10+ years.

Unless antivirus testing is done to a well-accepted framework, such as AMSTO, then it may or may not meet the bare minimum standard. You Youtubers and Malware Hub testers keep referencing that you use Zero-Day malware, as if you are the only ones doing it. In some established AV lab tests, 100% of the malware samples or test frameworks are 100% Zero-Day. So you are not doing better testing, not even with a stretch of the imagination. And at least the labs test all AV against the same threats at the same time in a properly controlled environment, whereas Youtube testers just test 1 product at a time.

It is normal that we test one product at a time, we need the machines, the time etc that we do not have.
We also have a job on the side, some have a family too.

After as I said, if you don't like it, don't look at it.
But to insult a job, even the Hub's, I say no.
Now I'll stop answering you because it's useless, you're bound to believe a completely false idea.
Have a nice day.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017

Might be as per yours . But none in the forum asked your version , but u r free to do so by opening your own thread.

Support positively n credit for someone's work in a positive way and address with your remarks in a better way
Also, kindly "stop speaking abusing comments", in someone else thread.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
also not make g-data look so bad, ESET tested with the same pack today, and this wasnt good.... after the test my images were encrypted, lots of malware running but on the good side, it got through 900 samples in 15minutes
process explorer eset
esetFAIL.png

gif of the test (76mb ish)

as yet is there anything that can beat hardened windows defender? hmmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
G DATA is more expensive than Bit Defender. What does it offer extra if it uses Bit Defender's engine?
The engine is only a very small part of an antivirus solution.
What you get that was developed by GDATA is, e.g..:
  • BEAST: Behavior monitoring and blocking
  • DeepRay: In-memory scanning
  • Perceptron: AI based detection
  • GDATA engine: Additional signatures to Bitdefender's engine, created by AI and by analysts, that includes also unpacking technologies, algorithmic detection etc, as there is more to an engine than just scanning files.
  • Smart detections: These include context information, e.g., where the file comes from, how often it was seen, on which systems etc
  • Cloud protection: Blocking the newest threats before the protection arrives with the signature update
  • Anti-ransomware module: Additional behavior based protection separate from BEAST, specifically for ransomware detection
  • Exploit protection: specific module to detect exploits
These are probably not all features/technologies but I think enough to make clear that the engine is just a very small part. If we just took Bitdefender's engine, it would not suffice for protection. Bitdefender themselves also have more than the engine in their products (like any major AV). I don't know enough about them to specifically compare GDATA with it, but I believe it is a good thing that we have different solutions for protection. The more diverse the landscape of security products, the harder it is for criminals to create malware that evades all of them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.