App Review Gdata Internet Security 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello ! :)
Today we will test Gdata and see how it protects a computer.
Gdata Software is a German company that is well known to the public.
In the past, it used Bitdefender + Avast as its antivirus engine. In 2014, Avast left its place for their in-house engine, CloseGap.
The interface of Gdata is very old, not updated since... 2014... 7 years old....
Despite its age, it remains clear, the antivirus is well configured by default.
In terms of protection, Gdata is solid... except on 2 points.
In terms of protection from known malware, Gdata does an excellent score and even makes up for it with its virus base and its pro-active BEAST module!
On the other hand, in Phishing detection it is to be reviewed because it is too weak.
I would like to come back to its system named BEAST, which allows to identify malicious behaviors very quickly and to intercept the attack.
On paper, it is an excellent idea, but there is still a lot of work to be done.
Although it has stopped infections with this module, it unfortunately lets my home Ransomware through, taking the computer hostage. Gdata did not react at all!
Remember also on the pack, Gdata took 1 minute to scan, but 1h40 to delete, which is too long!
Despite the misstep on my Ransomware, Gdata is still a very good antivirus, but some gaps are still there.

RAM Usage : Medium
Phishing Test : 2/5 (3 missed)
Malware URL test : 10/10 (all detected)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected by database and BEAST BB)
Malware Pack : Remaining 52 files.
Home Malware : 0/1 => MBR Blocked by my malware. End of the test

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
With all due respect, but I don't take "youtube testers" seriously, we already have experienced testers on this site, I don't think this kind of artificial video test here on the site is cool. Just my opinion!
If you don't like some material you can just keep scrolling, there's no need to point fingers on nobody :)

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
With all due respect, but I don't take "youtube testers" seriously, we already have experienced testers on this site, I don't think this kind of artificial video test here on the site is cool. Just my opinion!

Hello,

Thank you for your advice, but I'll tell you no.
Everyone has a place on MalwareTips, whether it's me or the other testers.
I and the others do the same: A new VM, under Windows, with an antivirus (which is configured or not) and we evaluate. That's it.

Of course you have the right to give your opinion, but sorry if you don't like my videos, we can't please everyone ^^

PS : Of course I am a tester, but I also look at others ;) (I don't call them "competitors" I hate that word, but colleagues) like @harlan4096 / @upnorth , CS Solution, League Of Antivirus etc )

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Everyone is better with more testing even bad testing by small YouTubers can be beneficial by bringing more people into security related places like forums , jobs etc

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra
when you have time test F-Secure :D

Hello :)

Already tested 😉

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
5 samples as phishing test is a bit low to judge a product. But the web protection is not top notch compared to other products. There signatures are great with the dual engine. Beast and deepray are great technologies but they seem to struggle with the latest ransomwares.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.