App Review Gdata Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have to agree with @L0ckJaw for the most part. Who cares if G-Data needs 2 minutes to remove a single file or wether it needs 3 hours for the first full scan? First of all, there is no system that is infected with thousands and thousands of threats. Thats not a realistic scenario at all. I understand that it can get annoying when testing the product that way, but it shouldn't be a reason not to buy the product, as you won't face such issues on your host system in your day to day life. Same thing with the full system scan. Why would you even need to run a full system scan, when G-Data can protect you in real-time? The only time I ever run a full system scan with my AV is right after installation, to be sure that my previous solution didn't miss anything. After that the real-time protection should take care of the rest. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

I really liked the ability to install the modules of choice on setup?
Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, GData, AVG, Avast and Dr Web are the only options, I can think of right now, that allow you to choose components that you want to install. Other vendors such as Kaspersky and Bitdefender force install their VPNs. Of course you can always uninstall VPN, but Bitdefender used to reinstall it after every major update.

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
Hi
I agree, delete suspicious files is slow
and my very serious problem is: after find any suspicious files, G Data do change folder options. did not showing hidden files and protected operation system files!!!
I talked to support but they didn't understand and didn't solved problem

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hi
I agree, delete suspicious files is slow
and my very serious problem is: after find any suspicious files, G Data do change folder options. did not showing hidden files and protected operation system files!!!
I talked to support but they didn't understand and didn't solved problem
Looks like they follow Bitdefender's removal procedure. It's been like this for Bitdefender since 2009 at least. When Bitdefender's real time protection detects a couple of threats, it will block everything from modifying hidden files toggle and enable the show file extension option. Apparently this is a method used by them to stop malware from modifying system settings. You get control over it again after restarting the system. Trend Micro was like this also many years ago, but they let you enable hidden files if I remember correctly. Trend's removal engine is normal now, except they change UAC to default settings, no matter at what settings it was set before. Norton often keeps a blank 0 KB file of the same name as the malware in that location. This is part of Norton's removal engine, and it's done to prevent malware from regenerating on that location. It gets removed after system restart.
So, don't expect G-Data to do anything about it. That's how their removal engine is designed to work, as far as I am concerned.

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
Looks like they follow Bitdefender's removal procedure. It's been like this for Bitdefender since 2009 at least. When Bitdefender's real time protection detects a couple of threats, it will block everything from modifying hidden files toggle and enable the show file extension option. Apparently this is a method used by them to stop malware from modifying system settings. You get control over it again after restarting the system. Trend Micro was like this also many years ago, but they let you enable hidden files if I remember correctly. Trend's removal engine is normal now, except they change UAC to default settings, no matter at what settings it was set before. Norton often keeps a blank 0 KB file of the same name as the malware in that location. This is part of Norton's removal engine, and it's done to prevent malware from regenerating on that location. It gets removed after system restart.
So, don't expect G-Data to do anything about it. That's how their removal engine is designed to work, as far as I am concerned.
Also another new problem
When the computer shuts down due to an electric shock
The G-Data database is damaged
We have to wait for the database to be updated, so that the computer can be used
Due to this problem, the system speed decreases drastically

My computer:
ASUS ROG B560-F
32GB Ram
11400 CPU
SSD 1TB WD SN750

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Also another new problem
We have to wait for the database to be updated, so that the computer can be used

My computer:
ASUS ROG B560-F
32GB Ram
11400 CPU
SSD 1TB WD SN750
That's awful and very surprising. I think you should move to another product if G-Data is causing that much trouble for you.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Also another new problem
I already had this problem when my second computer shut down due to a storm...
The computer was very slow to start, and Gdata indicated that the virus database was damaged...
I was able to run an update to fix the problem but it was a pain.... .

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
This is really a big flaw
I thought the problem was with my computer or Windows
But after changing Windows and numerous tests, I realized that there is a serious problem
In my opinion, how can an antivirus that cannot protect the database engine protect us from attacks?
I already had this problem when my second computer shut down due to a storm...
The computer was very slow to start, and Gdata indicated that the virus database was damaged...
I was able to run an update to fix the problem but it was a pain.... .

Reactions: JB007

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
I'm sorry, can you elaborate? How often is your computer rebooting due to electrical surges?
This problem occurs every time there is a power cut
Like lightning
Like power surges
Such as power outages due to administrative problems

Reactions: JB007

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
In my opinion, how can an antivirus that cannot protect the database engine protect us from attacks?
This problem occurs every time there is a power cut
Like lightning
Like power surges
Such as power outages due to administrative problems
Blame any AV for not being able to work properly in those kind of very specific harsh conditions and circumstances, is very farfetched. The main problem lays elsewhere.

If one live in a country/area where the power grid and ones buildings main power protection fails and allows these type of spikes/power surges, it's more then recommended to add a UPS ( uninterruptible power source ) or at least a portable power outlet with a built-in basic surge protection. A corrupt database of any software is normally the least of problems if an actual fire would start.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
blaming an antivirus for bad electrical installation or meteorological phenomena is a joke right, soon there will be people asking security companies to put modules in the antivirus program against meteorological phenomena and short circuits? :rolleyes:

MASOUD

Level 1
Verified
Jan 9, 2015
Blame any AV for not being able to work properly in those kind of very specific harsh conditions and circumstances, is very farfetched. The main problem lays elsewhere.

If one live in a country/area where the power grid and ones buildings main power protection fails and allows these type of spikes/power surges, it's more then recommended to add a UPS ( uninterruptible power source ) or at least a portable power outlet with a built-in basic surge protection. A corrupt database of any software is normally the least of problems if an actual fire would start.

blaming an antivirus for bad electrical installation or meteorological phenomena is a joke right, soon there will be people asking security companies to put modules in the antivirus program against meteorological phenomena and short circuits? :rolleyes:
It seems you did not understand what I meant
Why should the database of a security product be damaged during a power outage?
Why are none of the other products like this?
I am a fan and lover of GDATA
But this is very annoying

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Hmmm... maybe some folks need to upgrade their surge protector?

A good surge protector (SP) should have clamping at 440V or less. I always go for 330V. For clamping, LOW is better.

The SP's response time should be a nanosecord or less! LOW is better.

Joules mainly are a measure of how much cumulative surges the SP can handle before it dies. High is good BUT low clamping trumps high joules.

BTW, be sure that the surge protector will cut power to your computer AND/OR otherwise alert you when the surge protector eventually fails -- and it will.

Me & my aging laptop computer have been through several thunder & lightning storms over
the years. A couple of them scared me a lot. Both me & my computer survived just fine. I have never scimped on the surge protectors I buy.

Last edited:

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Also another new problem

My computer:
ASUS ROG B560-F
32GB Ram
11400 CPU
SSD 1TB WD SN750
I had to uninstall G Data because it often happens to me that when I start Windows something doesn't work correctly with the G Data database update, thus resulting in a total block of the internet.
Restarting the system solves the problem until until it comes back after some time totally at random.
It's very annoying to have to restart for this reason here and G Data is the only antivirus that presents me with this problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.