App Review Gdata Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Gdata test!
Gdata is a German company, quite well known, offering its security suite for years.
Based on 2 Antivirus engines (Bitdefender and its own, CloseGap / GDATA Engine), the suite has evolved over the years.
The interface still does not change... it dates from... 2014 !
It seems old-fashioned, but the editor must keep it in order not to lose the regulars.
Gdata has become light in consumption, that's a fact! In spite of a rather average consumption, the impacts felt during the 2021 version are not there anymore.

In protection, Gdata surprised me. It is a huge surprise!
BEAST has done a good job and has managed to make a clean machine!
The 2 engines have also evolved and have avoided several traps that I set.
There are still 2 detected by NPE, but Gdata has blocked the actions, it is easily removable.
I congratulate the Gdata Team for this performance, congrats !

Watch my reviews on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Average but no impact on the system
Phishing URL test : 4/4 (1 dead)
Malware URL test : 9/9 (1 dead)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 9 files to 484.
GDATA catches all my samples and VBS attacks via BEAST!
2 VBS files are present in the Roaming but inactive, Gdata has blocked the actions, these files are easily deleted.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
GDATA : 0
Hitman Pro : 0 (the detected file has been quarantined by GDATA BEAST (the alert arrived late) )
NPE : 2 (2 tracks, easily removable)
ESET : 0

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : Yes, system clean

@L0ckJaw request

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Installed it…. tried to like it…… but this???
5243CC0D-BFC9-420B-BF12-E9A723D7FE8E.jpeg

Even tagged the mothership as spam.😳
I’m out! Back to ESET on this one. Got to have an antispam, and my faves have all done away with it. Plus, I’ve collected 116,000 spam addresses over the years. It just plain works. 🤘

Peace to all ✌️

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
It's a while since I used G-Data, the reason I stopped was issues with SONOS connecting across my network, that's no longer a potential problem - I really liked the ability to install the modules of choice on setup? - I'd forgotten about G-data & will give it a whirl when I have a minute, I always felt G-data was a company I could trust.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
It's a while since I used G-Data, the reason I stopped was issues with SONOS connecting across my network, that's no longer a potential problem - I really liked the ability to install the modules of choice on setup? - I'd forgotten about G-data & will give it a whirl when I have a minute, I always felt G-data was a company I could trust.
Trust is also a big reason for me, they are so transparant in what data they collect and you can even opt out and remove it when you want.

Support is also great , I asked them to merge 2 serial numbers together and they did this within one hour. So I have 2 years license now.

Bitdefender collects a lot of data and no way out of removing this from them.

And it’s light on all my systems. No slowdowns or so what.

The test from @Shadowra proves what I knew already , the new version is good. And they improve the engine all the time , it still looks like from 2014 but it works so why change haha

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
BEAST queries their cloud first for known file metrics / hashes , before self analysis.
Detection names-> Beast(File cloud) (with specific name: Verdict.Malware), is a cloud block (known threat to their Cloud) not actually a BB block. Signature yet to be created for that sample

https://malwaretips.com/threads/remcosrat-02-04-2022.113087/ - BB in action

Last edited by a moderator:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I changed the settings from Quarantine to Delete, since i dont wanna keep the samples/malware.
When using this setting the delete proces is alot faster.
IMO, it's better to keep it at the default Quarantine settings. You never know when you're gonna get hit with a false positive. So in that case you may lose your important file. You're not using G-Data to remove 100 malware, so the slow removal issue should not bother you.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
For me if you bomb so many malware to it, you have to wait for it to clean. When in real life will you ever get so many malware in once ? If you are so lucky pls remove your pc and stop using it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.