App Review Gdata Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
About the damaged database it doesn’t make much sense to have this issue. Database integrity check is performed by looking at catalogue where all relevant file hashes are stored. Every Bitdefender update does this:
  • Downloads the new files
  • Copies the whole database (in case of massive false positive or another problem the old database can quickly be reverted)
  • Renames the old directory incrementing the database version (example from x.y.z.3032 to x.y.z.3033)
  • Replaces the relevant files with what’s been downloaded.
If something goes wrong in this process, it can’t be that absolutely the whole database is damaged and needs to be replaced — Bitdefender releases frequent updates and at most they modify few files. Maybe G Data for security reasons attempts to redownload the whole database if integrity check failed, but it’s not a great decision, as I mentioned above this database is massive.

Trend's removal engine is normal now, except they change UAC to default settings, no matter at what settings it was set before
Different products have different ways of removing. For AVG/Avast behavioural blocking (the IDP process) always monitors and records (even if you switch it off or you opt not to install it). Once something is detected, the recordings provide the relevant removal information. This can be very easily tested by anyone who has doubt in that. That’s why Avast removal is quick.

For Norton, the ERASER (Enhanced Remediation and Side Effects Repair) engine starts checking for other components similarly to Trend Micro but it also checks the journal to establish the threat actions and undo them. This is what delays Norton removal a lot. For example when removing a PUA, Norton will delete all registry entries and will even remove the desktop icon.

For Trend Micro, several engines are called. One of them is correlational engine (described also in TM documentation) and the other one is damage cleanup engine + damage cleanup template. The template includes (I have read it in logs that are generated somewhere in TM folders upon removal) many actions, including re-enabling task manager, regedit, UAC to default level. For every detection this sequence of “repair” is performed.

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello and welcome to the Gdata test!
Gdata is a German company, quite well known, offering its security suite for years.
Based on 2 Antivirus engines (Bitdefender and its own, CloseGap / GDATA Engine), the suite has evolved over the years.
The interface still does not change... it dates from... 2014 !
It seems old-fashioned, but the editor must keep it in order not to lose the regulars.
Gdata has become light in consumption, that's a fact! In spite of a rather average consumption, the impacts felt during the 2021 version are not there anymore.

In protection, Gdata surprised me. It is a huge surprise!
BEAST has done a good job and has managed to make a clean machine!
The 2 engines have also evolved and have avoided several traps that I set.
There are still 2 detected by NPE, but Gdata has blocked the actions, it is easily removable.
I congratulate the Gdata Team for this performance, congrats !

Watch my reviews on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Average but no impact on the system
Phishing URL test : 4/4 (1 dead)
Malware URL test : 9/9 (1 dead)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 9 files to 484.
GDATA catches all my samples and VBS attacks via BEAST!
2 VBS files are present in the Roaming but inactive, Gdata has blocked the actions, these files are easily deleted.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
GDATA : 0
Hitman Pro : 0 (the detected file has been quarantined by GDATA BEAST (the alert arrived late) )
NPE : 2 (2 tracks, easily removable)
ESET : 0

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : Yes, system clean

@L0ckJaw request
Hello @Shadowra , this great video is a year old but I have a question: does GData protect well the Wi-Fi connections ?

Reactions: roger_m

kamiloxf

Level 1
Apr 3, 2016
Please try to get Paloalto Cortex XDR Pro software for testing, I would like to see how this solution compares to other solutions for the Enterprise sector DeepInstinct, CrowdStrike, SentinelOne

Reactions: Shadowra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.