• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Asrock B450M Pro4
  • 2 x 8GB Geil EVO X DDR4-3200 CL16 UDIMM
  • Palit GTX 1070 Ti Dual Fan
  • Samsung 850 EVO 256GB M.2 SSD
  • Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
  • WD Red 3TB
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@generalwu :

• This is total overkill :eek::
    • Avast Internet Security
    • OSArmor
    • SecureAPlus Freemium
You may stay with Avast IS + SysHardener, no need OSA and/or SecureAPlus.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :giggle:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Agree with harlan4096 . Avast internet security have very good protection . With syshardener is rock . You can use this configuration for better security and performance

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Hi @harlan4096 and @stefanos, thank you for the feedback.

I would like to check with you guys the reason of it being overkill, as I can recall OSArmor is an anti-exploit software so do you mean that Avast itself will be able to detect exploit?
While for SecureAPlus I'm using it for anti-executable function. Does that conflict with Avast?

For system backup I'm sorting my storage space soon and will be reflecting the changes when done.

Cheers. :cool:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Completely overkill and should be more minimalistic in approach. Too many browser extensions and Avast Hardened Mode w/ Syshardener really is all you need on your system as you have this installed prior.

With the browser extensions as a separate debate point some are not even needed and you also have two extensions that do the same thing in Emsisoft & Windows.

I think this personally is a poor setup, but with anything else, you're free to debate your reasonings.

~LDogg

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the feedbacks, I've made some changes according to your recommendations and reflected the changes on the thread.

Edited my Avast AV from IS to Premium Security
Does this affect the security level of my system?

Reapplied syshardener suggested tweaks
Removed the following:
  • NVT OSArmor
  • SecureAPlus Freemium
  • Chrome Extensions:
    • Emsisoft Browser Security​
    • Some other Extensions (Couldn't remember the names, removed them before editing the thread)​
Added some Chrome extensions:
  • Picture-in-Picture Extension By Google
  • Sprucemarks
Also another question, which Chrome extension would be better in protection?
  • Emsisoft Browser Security?
  • Windows Defender Browser Protection?
The last I check on "Evjl's Rain" thread on Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings,
WDBP has a score of 28/31 phishing links. (URL: here)

Hence I've chosen WDBP instead of Emsisoft.
Also I've seen some other user using Bitdefender Trafficlight along with the other protection extension, would that be advisable?

Would appreciate some feedbacks. Cheers. :cool:

Last edited:

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@harlan4096 Haha, yup.

Trying to gain some improvement of privacy and security while using Chrome browser. :cool:
Would love to have some feedback on those too if possible.

Reactions: Nevi

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I suggest to remove useless extensions. Those extensions will not protect your privacy. They are just gonna make security and privacy holes as @harlan4096 said.
For example I use only 2 extensions: Adguard and BitWarden and no security and privacy issues at all. I don't care if they know I'm ordering pizza.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Thales Thak you for your feedback, upon further review I've removed the following extensions.
  • IDN Safe (Chrome version >58 now protects IDN spoofing)
  • IPF*ck (Not working at intended, unable to randomize IP addresses)
  • Canvas Defender (Based on this Reddit thread (URL: here) the owner of the extension is not privacy friendly, also Privacy Possum does canvas anti-tracking)
To further enquire about the rest of my extensions:
  • HTTPS Everywhere:
    • According to this reddit post (URL: here), it still helps in preventing SSL stringing attack, would like to seek advice here if this is still applicable given the post are 2 years old.​
    • Would replacing with smart https be better (URL: here)?​
  • Decentraleyes:
    • According to my quick google, it replaces web CDN scripts with local scripts to prevent third party access. With the Adguard installed, would it still be relevant given the further reaches of Adguard's scripts?​
Many thanks.​

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Thales
To further enquire about the rest of my extensions:
  • HTTPS Everywhere:
    • According to this reddit post (URL: here), it still helps in preventing SSL stringing attack, would like to seek advice here if this is still applicable given the post are 2 years old.​
    • Would replacing with smart https be better (URL: here)?​
  • Decentraleyes:
    • According to my quick google, it replaces web CDN scripts with local scripts to prevent third party access. With the Adguard installed, would it still be relevant given the further reaches of Adguard's scripts?​
Many thanks.​

HTTPS probably not necessary with Chrome. You have Avast which has web scanning so you don't need WDBP. Some people use Decentraleyes with Privacy Possum and an adblocker. I myself use µBlock Origin and Privacy Possum to keep it simple. If you are that concerned about privacy then you should consider changing browsers to Chromium, Brave or Firefox. Google is definitely not your friend.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@oldschool & @bribon77 Thank you for your feedback. I've removed Decentraleyes as per suggested here.

However I would not removed WDBP as I'm also using Chromebook (With Google account sync-ed) and I feel that it will help when I'm using my Chromebook.

I would like to know given that I'm using Chromebook would HTTPS Everywhere still applicable in Chromebook? I assume it might not.

Cheers.:cool:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
@oldschool & @bribon77 Thank you for your feedback. I've removed Decentraleyes as per suggested here.

However I would not removed WDBP as I'm also using Chromebook (With Google account sync-ed) and I feel that it will help when I'm using my Chromebook.

I would like to know given that I'm using Chromebook would HTTPS Everywhere still applicable in Chromebook? I assume it might not.

Cheers.:cool:

General Wu,

I think you've done well to react to the input you have been given and to simply your setup.

And HTTPS Everywhere is (surprisingly) still a good extension. Some have complained that it slows websites and it uses too much memory. On the computer that I use it on, I have not noticed these things. But I don't see enough value in the extension to use it on my primary computers.

I don't know if using Chromebook makes any difference. @ForgottenSeer 58943 probably knows.

-Sergeant Burrito

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I personally wouldn't bother about Privacy, leave this as the last part of your setup, as sticking to Privacy aspects only can leave you paranoid with vulnerable parts of your computer exposed, stick to one security extension for the web browser, ad blocker, 2 Factor Authentication extension if needed. The think about 1-2 Privacy extensions which do actually work.

~LDogg

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Burrito Thank you for the compliment, I too do not feel that it has slow down my web surfing and the resources it take also do not affect me. If the feedbacks are generally okay I would keep it in the list, just for the sake of inclusive-ness. I still do visit sites without HTTPS and I hope that it might helps.

@LDogg Appreciate your feedback and I too agree that enhancing privacy is the last leg of the journey which I felt I'm at hence the enquires. If the feedbacks are generally okay I would keep the extension, "Privacy Possum", in the list.

I've disabled the following extension in light of going minimalistic/lightweight.
  • Joel's Password Generator
  • LINE Messaging
  • Picture-in-Picture Extension By Google
  • Sprucemarks

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
My AV subscription ended recently and I bought the wrong version of Avast (Without FW)

Does anyone have any recommendation, perferred low cost or free options if possible.
I'm looking at Binisoft WFC at the moment as I've good experiences with it.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm looking at Binisoft WFC at the moment as I've good experiences with it.

WFC, or TinyWall Beta 2.99.xx. TinyWall is very close to release (in the new year) and the current Beta is rock solid. Unlike the early version 2.1xx which was a GUI for Windows Firewall, the new one is built on Windows Filtering Platform. You may find it here (y)(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.