Gnosis's UPDATED (11-29-13) CONFIGURATION

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: ZOU'S CONFIGURATION

Knowing you ZOU you would have a backup option?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

Knowing you ZOU you would have a backup option?

Actually, I do not. My OS is so ancient, and I really have no crucial data stored, so I take it for granted. I figure by the time I need a back up solution, my junky, oversized Seagate, Shanghai shyster hard drive will quit working and then I can upgrade OS's and find a lovely Japanese SSD.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

ZOU1 said:
Actually, I do not. My OS is so ancient, and I really have no crucial data stored, so I take it for granted. I figure by the time I need a back up solution, my junky, oversized Seagate, Shanghai shyster hard drive will quit working and then I can upgrade OS's and find a lovely Japanese SSD.

Ahh, right I see. Guessing that XP has been a favourite for a while now :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

ZOU1 said:
Right on, brother from Down Under!

Ha, by the sounds of it, you must love us aussies :p

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

You are a peculiar bunch at the very least, esp. you and Mr. X. hehe Jolly blokes....................

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

You would really benefit by purchasing a new pc. Using an old and outdated OS is a big security blunter no matter what protection you use.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
You would really benefit by purchasing a new pc. Using an old and outdated OS is a big security blunter no matter what protection you use.

Yes, that might be correct, but on how advanced ZOU is I think he would be okay, plus he loves XP :p

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

The term "advanced" is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone can say they are advanced but a true techie wouldn't be using an old and outdated OS. Never mind an even older pc. Also Theatfire is not even being developed any more. Threatfire is a behavior blocker to be used to complment your real time antivirus. It is not intended for use as a stand alone means of protection. Threatfire has not been updated since 10/2011.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
The term "advanced" is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone can say they are advanced but a true techie wouldn't be using an old and outdated OS. Never mind an even older pc.

I see, yes, but like my Dad says he's not going to give up XP, unless he is forced too. Plus how would you know what ZOU does?

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:
The term "advanced" is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone can say they are advanced but a true techie wouldn't be using an old and outdated OS. Never mind an even older pc.

"advanced" in my eyes are the ones who can use any OS, software and hardware within 30mn without guides or messing them all. :D

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

A true "advanced" user of a pc does not need 50 million layers of security either cause they know the benefits of safe surfing. An true advanced user has an arsenal of tools handy which can remove virtually any malware. If the malware cannot be removed then an image can be mounted. If you are not keeping your system backed up or imaged then your not a so called advanced user. One can use every means of protection out there but it does not mean you wont get infected. Security is worthless without a backup plan.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Having so many layers of security is not bad, unless you know what your doing with them. If you have no idea, it's best to stick to an AV and a backup option.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

A true "advanced" user of a pc does not need 50 million layers of security either cause they know the benefits of safe surfing. An true advanced user has an arsenal of tools handy which can remove virtually any malware. If the malware cannot be removed then an image can be mounted. If you are not keeping your system backed up or imaged then your not a so called advanced user. One can use every means of protection out there but it does not mean you wont get infected. Security is worthless without a backup plan.

Sandboxie is a virtual browser/sandbox quarantine, not "layers of security".

As far as TF AV, it simply lets me know everything that is going on that I would otherwise be clueless about, such as individual Windows updates installing, stat gathering by program vendors, and malicious actions that malware is ATTEMPTING to execute, etc.

I have Dr. Web Live, and Avira Rescue on standby. ComboFix is a click away as well.

A "true advanced user" also has two other PC's at his disposal, or not. In my case, it is the former.

I do not need a backup plan for this PC. It has NO crucial info or games stored on it. Windows won't support ancient XP for long anyway. If it crashes, it crashes.................then I go get Windows 7, or worse, I become an Apple hipster (never happen). Besides, I don't store anything in this PC that I cannot otherwise do without.

I was speaking of Umbra's multiple layers on a side note.

Oh. Well, I needed to get that out there anyway. lol

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

A Mac Book Pro is a wise choice. Bought one for my son. There are hundreds of cases of malware jumping out of Sandboxie unless you configure it properly. I know everything going on in my pc. Its called task manager. The layers was a side note to Umbra not you ZOU. Either way you look at or no matter how you roll the dice is comes out the same.

Windows XP= Outdated
Threatfire= Outdated and not in development

If I were you I would go with CIS and remove everything else.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

A Mac Book Pro is a wise choice

I know Apple has good stuff, but for some reason I am really, really stubborn about switching. Microsoft and custom built PC's just seems like more fun.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

A 2 year warranty. No malware worries. Never crashes. Free classes.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

You are absolutely right. This one works really well though, and I know it like myself; that goes a long way. Even when Microsoft stops supporting XP, I am betting it will barely make a difference since they are so tardy getting those security updates out. Rumour has it that some third party software designers will attempt to support XP in Microsoft's absence. Quite frankly, XP being so outdated and losing support will make malware authors and hackers believe that everyone is getting away from XP, so maybe they won't target XP machines at that point (their malware will be aimed at Vista, 7, 8, etc.)

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:
A true "advanced" user of a pc does not need 50 million layers of security either cause they know the benefits of safe surfing.

For me there is no such things as safe surfing.

An true advanced user has an arsenal of tools handy which can remove virtually any malware. If the malware cannot be removed then an image can be mounted. If you are not keeping your system backed up or imaged then your not a so called advanced user. One can use every means of protection out there but it does not mean you wont get infected. Security is worthless without a backup plan.

Exact, i covered all the layers possible, and never got infected since unless i allow myself to be infected with a purpose.

Aventador said:
I was speaking of Umbra's multiple layers on a side note.

you are new to the forum so you don't know what is the purpose of my config, and what i do with my system.
Here many members that knows me for a while, understood perfectly why my config is like that.

i like to test compatibility between multiple security products then sometime throw malwares on it to check their permeability, then i post my conclusions here.

Don't put statement when you have no clues, thanks.

It is not because someone behave differently than you that they do wrong.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.