Gnosis's UPDATED (11-29-13) CONFIGURATION

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
RE: ZOU'S CONFIGURATION

Of course there us such a thing as safe surfing. If all you do is check your email (web based), read some news articles and go on Facebook it is virtually impossible to get infected. 95% of malare infections are self inflicted. Been surfing the internet for over 10 years and never one infection. No matter how you look at no one needs so much security. If you practice safe surfing and use common sense the likely hood of you getting a malware infection is slim to none. I could careless if I got infected. Why worry. Thats what a system image is for. Enjoy the internet. Dont fear it.

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:
Of course there us such a thing as safe surfing. If all you do is check your email (web based), read some news articles and go on Facebook it is virtually impossible to get infected. 95% of malare infections are self inflicted. Been surfing the internet for over 10 years and never one infection. It called "Have no clue". Thanks. No matter how you look at no one needs so much security.

Tell that to the customers i had which get infected by reading infected mails, went to some hijacked legit websites and infected via their friends posting "cool" links on facebook...

btw, i don't say do like me, for example i set up my girlfriend laptop with just Panda Cloud AV Pro ( because she requested a light and efficient set & forget solution) and rollback RX, using my Acronis boot CD to backup her system.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Web based email infections are virtually nonexistent cause every web based email scans attachments. Anyone with "common sense" should know if an email is legit or not. Notice how I said safe surfing and using common sense. Clicking on a fake link defines "self inflicted". Do you buy a junk used car? If so then buyer beware.

"There is a sucker born everyday". Just like there are "Click happy, self infected users". The customer you mentioned only has himself to blame by being "click happy'. If your so dumb to click on a Facebook link saying "Hey check this out" then you deserve the out come. Those are not friends posting that anyways. Its a link bomb. As soon as one person clicks is it gets posted weather you like it or not. Most likely what happened is your client click on an email scam which then led him to a Facebook link scam. Again his own fault. I sit down with all my customers and educate them on how they got infected to begin with. If it happens again then they only have themselves to blame.

D

Deleted member 178

Every internet users don't have our knowledge or "common sense", like in real-life people get cheated by others.

Most of the customers i had can be classified as "old people", "casual users" or "just-got-my-first-computer" category with no clues of the threats they may find on internet. they don't deserve to be classified as "suckers" or "dumb" people as you said.

Pay respect to others, please.

you really remind me someone...

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Sorry to say but your sadly mistaken. In today's world there is too much news out there. Its on the radio,tv and internet. If you buy a used car without looking it over and its a junk its your own fault. If you buy a house without a proper inspection and it falls apart its your own fault. If you are a click happy person and get a malware infection you only have yourself to blame. Its called everyday common sense. If its too good too be true then it is. Never did I mentioned "our knowledge". But I see this on a daily basis. People get infected cause they are click happy and dont pay attention. The main answer I get when I ask the question "What were you last doing online?" is "I dont know". Do you sign on the dotted line without reading the fine print?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
If its too good too be true then it is.

Well that is one thing that is true.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Naked Security posts good information about click happy Facebook scams. MypageKeeper is a good add on for Facebook users. Either way when you see a post from a friend which says "Check out this cool video" (which he did not post anyways) and you click on it you will then be brought to a page which asks permission to access your personal info and you click next then again thats your own fault. Common sense should kick in and tell the user that some video player needs to access my personal info...........No way.

D

Deleted member 178

The problem is that many are ignorant of the risks they may encounter and if they aren't, they mostly think "i will not happen to me" or simply they dont care since they think "computer risks is not as serious as real-life risks"

btw, we went off-topic in regard of Zou's Thread :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
Naked Security posts good information about click happy Facebook scams. MypageKeeper is a good add on for Facebook users. Either way when you see a post from a friend which says "Check out this cool video" (which he did not post anyways) and you click on it you will then be brought to a page which asks permission to access your personal info and you click next then again thats your own fault. Common sense should kick in and tell the user that some video player needs to access my personal info...........No way.

True, I prefer not to have anything access my info on Facebook, geez if they did well, would have to close it.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Facebook is very secure by default. Secure browsing is enabled by default. But I see so many people that have it off cause some app told them too. Again..................self inflicted wounds. Going off topic will happen from time to time. That cannot be helped. A computer is "real life" when your using it for financial transaction which most people in today's world do.

I

illumination

Aventador said:
Sorry to say but your sadly mistaken. In today's world there is too much news out there. Its on the radio,tv and internet. If you buy a used car without looking it over and its a junk its your own fault. If you buy a house without a proper inspection and it falls apart its your own fault. If you are a click happy person and get a malware infection you only have yourself to blame. Its called everyday common sense. If its too good too be true then it is. Never did I mentioned "our knowledge". But I see this on a daily basis. People get infected cause they are click happy and dont pay attention. The main answer I get when I ask the question "What were you last doing online?" is "I dont know". Do you sign on the dotted line without reading the fine print?

Every day common sense will not keep a "novice" person completely safe on the internet. Scripting in web pages, makes it way to easy to be nailed by drive by's, redirects,ect. it is not just about safely clicking a link any more. Not to mention, there are other means, such as removal media, flash drives, infected computers on the same network..

There are few people in the world that "dont" care if they get infected, and just do a restore, many rely on their systems for banking,ect and really do not want to take a chance of an infection that can cause great head aches or worse.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Lol. No where did I say "restore". I said imaging. I do all my bill paying online. FYI... If you are using a thumb drive then you should have autorun disabled on it. BitDefender makes a free USB immunizer. Also if your around sticking your thumb drive into infected pc's then back into your machine then once again that's self inflicted malware. And yes if you teach the average user safe surfing habits the likely hood of them running across malware is very slim.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

If your system is backed up weekly with a clean image then that's all you need for piece of mind.

I

illumination

I must apologize ZOU1 , your config is not the place to have this off topic discussion. If the mods would like to split this from this thread, i would glady debate the many methods of infection other then an out dated but sometimes still used email attachment. If one looks up the word "restore" in any dictionary, they would be able to assume why i said that instead of imaging. As the word itself covers "all" versions or ways to bring a system back to how it was before problems.

By the way ZOU1, it is, a very nice config, simple, yet eligent. With your knowledge it should be most sufficent!

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

By the way ZOU1, it is, a very nice config, simple, yet eligent. With your knowledge it should be most sufficent!

Well, I hope so. I don't usually recommend my setup to anyone unless they are pretty internet and security program savvy. It would be a complete train wreck if a naive surfer and novice overall user utilized TF Level 5. Either that, or they would be flipping out with paranoia. haha

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I am loving the way that I have XP tweaked. I just opened up every program and window on my desktop (HitMan, MBAM, all browsers, CCleaner, Windows gadgets, etc.), and opened all tabs in Firefox. I then clicked "shutdown" and the computer forced everything shut within 2 or 3 seconds, and the PC was completely shut down within 5 or 6 seconds, at the very most. It all happens FAST. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

MRF71, I think ZOU used a guide like this to make Windows shut-down faster.

http://www.howtogeek.com/80102/make-windows-xp-shut-down-faster-2/

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks Earth, but I have known about this tweak for quite sometime.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You still wondering if ZOU shuts-down Windows XP through Firefox then. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.