Gnosis's UPDATED (11-29-13) CONFIGURATION

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
RE: ZOU'S CONFIGURATION

Ha Ha, I suppose I read it wrong it sounded like that at first is why I was thinking (huh?) anyhoo, close all is a neat little app that shuts stuff down fast.

http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/close-all.html

EDIT: I can sort of do the same with sandboxie if I wanted to (terminate all programs) but I just shut down normal.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

You still wondering if ZOU shuts-down Windows XP through Firefox then.

That only happens when I surf Russian sites. LOL

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

MRF71, I think ZOU used a guide like this to make Windows shut-down faster.

http://www.howtogeek.com/80102/make-wind...-faster-2/

Exactly right, Mr. Earth.

Sorry to leave some of you all hangin'. I should have been more specific.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

As you can see, I made some minor changes. Having Online Armor slows my startup by up to 10 seconds, but that is how it goes sometimes.

D

Deleted member 178

So Zou, how do you like OA? yes you have slowdown at the boot but it is not desastrous ^^

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

As you said, the slowdown at startup is not disastrous. I like it ok. I used OA several years ago. I like the intelligence that it gathers. I think that is the bright spot of OA. I like good intel gatherers such as; XueTr, OA, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, TF, Hitman Pro, Process Hacker, Killswitch, etc.

D

Deleted member 178

yes, i especially like the firewall module with its graphical interface that lookup the IPs.

The HIPS is quite powerful and granular.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

ZOU1 said:
As you said, the slowdown at startup is not disastrous. I like it ok. I used OA several years ago. I like the intelligence that it gathers. I think that is the bright spot of OA. I like good intel gatherers such as; XueTr, OA, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, TF, Hitman Pro, Process Hacker, Killswitch, etc.

What made you switch?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I switched from OA years ago because of hangs and browser sluggishness. It may have been the web shield if it had one back then. I have the web shield disabled now. Could have just been ignorance on my part pertinent to not understanding the web shield interference. I am not big on web shields or malicious URL blocking. Both can mask severe security flaws in potentially inferior security products. I am interested in defense vs. malicious .exe's. I want my security software to be able to handle the worst case scenarios that web shields and malicious URL blockers cannot.

D

Deleted member 178

Zou, OA webshield just check the DNS of the visited site and compare it with a whitelist, it us mostly used for online banking; it doesnt scan the website's code, so i dont think it is the responsible of your slow surfing.

Japhrimel

Oct 30, 2012

OA seems really light.I switched from Firefox to Chrome-whilst moving from Avast/Comodo to EIS, and it flies. Much Faster browsing. It is Anti-Malaware 7 that hogs my ram.

I just started using sandboxie-amazing. Are there any issues with p2p downloading into sandboxie folder. That is, issues beyond ethics of p2p.

In addition, why would i have 20 chrome.exe*32 processes running?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

"In addition, why would i have 20 chrome.exe*32 processes running?"

Because you are Down Under where everything is running from the crocodiles. Haha
In all seriousness, I used to have more Chrome .exe's running than I liked when using Chrome. Chrome kept crashing too, so I switched to Mozilla Firefox. I used to swear by Chrome.

Sandboxie is awesome.

Japhrimel

Oct 30, 2012

No crocs here-i think they only eat tourists anyway.

I had the same prob with chrome when i ran comodo/avast.

chrome.exe down to 10 with some cuts.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I really like TF. Where OA misses something it seems to pick up the slack, what little there is to pick up. TF is still superior realtime security in several ways. OA does not want to prompt about Dr. Web trying to gather stats, but TF catches it every time and stops it quick so I can delete the one-time scanner. Otherwise it hangs around on your PC for quite a while.
It is not that I mind sharing stats with Dr. Web. It is just cool that TF lets me know about those kind of hidden processes that I would never know about otherwise. TF should be picked up by someone and developed further. A hybrid of TF Level 5 and MBAM Pro would be off-the-hook.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

That would be a brilliant masterpiece. Behavior/HIPS-like , Signatures, and Web-protection

D

Deleted member 178

Zou, remember that OA has a whitelist and cloud, maybe you should disable it and set OA to paranoid to simulate lv5.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I think so. That is a good idea. I will have to figure out how first.

Actually I only had it on learning mode as it was finishing the final stages of installation. I have not had it on learning mode since then, and I reviewed all the programs it whitelisted, and all are legit.
So I guess when it is not "learning mode", it is "paranoid mode"?

D

Deleted member 178

We can say that, on Program > options, untick all boxes that "automatically trust..."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.