Gnosis's UPDATED (11-29-13) CONFIGURATION

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
RE: ZOU'S CONFIGURATION

I wiped my TF whitlist and started over just after I installed OA. TF seemed to not alert near as much as the first time I trained it before OA Free. Is OA that proactive that it squanders most of the action?

FYI: The two programs work together flawlessly. It is almost like Emsisoft is more familiar with TF than PC Tools was.

I would love to see TF go "open source". It is so close to being as bullet proof as realtime security can be.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

Tell ya what, gent and ladies...................I am loving OA Free w/HIPS on paranoid mode along TF level 5. This rocks!
I used to be nearly totally against being constantly informed via popups, but in the age of advanced malware, I love how those two programs complement each other, popups or not.

S

starchild76

ZOU1 said:
Tell ya what, gent and ladies...................I am loving OA Free w/HIPS on paranoid mode along TF level 5. This rocks!
I used to be nearly totally against being constantly informed via popups, but in the age of advanced malware, I love how those two programs complement each other, popups or not.

what ever floats your boat mate :) its a nice clean setup the bare essentials , I am glad for you , that you found something , that really , really suits your needs. I saw in one of your earlier posts , that you only purchased a security product once?? I did that twice ( norman security suite in 2002 and norton internet security in 2011... ) now I only go with free products ( or keys i got free form giveaways ) why pay for a product , when the free ones , are evenly good , or better ! :)

D

Deleted member 178

ZOU1 said:

i was sure you will like it ^^

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

ZOU1 said:
<Snip>
I am loving OA Free w/HIPS on paranoid mode
Hi Man,
What Paranoid mode, how you setting it up :huh:

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

ZOU1 said:

You must be getting a ton of alerts lol...when do you have time to use the pc?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

You must be getting a ton of alerts lol...when do you have time to use the pc?

Hahaha

I have both of them trained really well already. It has not been a hassle at all. Now that almost everything is whitelisted that is legit, I only get a couple of notifications for every 10 hours of PC use.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Really? what made you start using oa again? I thought you were happy with tf?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

At one time, a couple or three years ago, I thought OA was causing hangs, but it was not. It slows my startup by 10 seconds (28-32 seconds now) and internet access by 15 seconds, but other than that it is smooth (FYI: I don't use its web shield)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

I'm gonna install this combo on my VM to check it out :)

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I'm gonna install this combo on my VM to check it out Smile

Absolutely. It will be interesting to here your thoughts as you try it out. Do a review if you have time. I would like to see it.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

I am using Malware Defender (HIPS) now along side of Threatfire.
I experienced three BSOD's since utilizing OA. One of the BSOD's specifically named OA.sys. I was also noticing very annoying hangs; not many, but VERY annoying.
I don't blame OA or Emsisoft. OA w/HIPS is a great product.
I have always been very astute and impatient when it comes to the smallest delays during my PC experiences. It is not something to bash Emsisoft about.
It is very important, when using Malware Defender, to make sure you right click the MD icon > OPTIOINS > Rules, then check the box that states "Allow signed applications to be run by system applications" (per languy99)
It is also very crucial to run it in learning mode for at least 72 actual hours of PC use that consists of a variety of operations, otherwise it will drive you crazy while you "teach" it (checking the box I told you to will diminish a great deal of that). Do a reboot while in LEARNING MODE as well.
Before you say anything, I realize that it is not supported anymore, but as you might know, I am not using signature based protection for my realtime security. I only rely on signatures for my occassional on-demand scans with HitMan Pro, Dr. Web CureIt and MBAM every day, month, and week, respectively.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

So I have had Malware Defender on "learning mode" for a few days now. I have it set to "normal mode" now. All of my legit .exe's and corresponding processes are whitelisted. I truly feel like I have an awesome advantage with HIPS and a behavior blocker.

D

Deleted member 178

haha you feel now how safe i am with Emsi Pack (Av+Bb+Hips)

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

you must addd

Second Opinion Scanner:
Emsisoft Emergency Kit & Comodo Cleaning Essential

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Your suggestions may be essential if the PC was infected with Malware, but definitely not a must add for most users.

Malwarebytes and HMP can be considered sufficient enough as on-demand scanners, though aren't always necessary.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

Emsisoft Emergency Kit & Comodo Cleaning Essential

I have the former in on my USB. I have the latter in my downloads folder. Guess I forgot to list them in my profile. Nice thought, but I must concur with Earth, as it is the planet on which I reside. :::))):):(((:)))===

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011

So. Let's hear it. How do you really feel about my Threatfire/Malware Defender combo with the option to utilize Sandboxie??? How do you all feel about me not attempting the traditional method of using Avast, AVG, Avira or any other type of traditional AV program???

If Threatfire was retooled and had HIPS as part of it, that would make me go exclusively with it.
I mean seriously, with a HIPS and behavior blocker is there really a need for anything else--Especially a firewall?

I guess Sandboxie replaces what would be my AV program in my free, quasi suite.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

Have you ever tried a pctool setup...pctools av+ tf+fw?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.