Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
PC Environment: Private
Security Awareness: Advanced
Exposure to Malware: Low
Anti-Malware Testing: No
Operating System: Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3 32bit
Architecture: 32-bit
Real-time Protection: Panda Cloud AV Free; Comodo Internet Security Premium 6; Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
On-Demand Tools: MBAM, HitMan Pro, PCHunter, MBAR, Avast anti-rootkit (mbr fix)
Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox
Opera

Browser Addons: Adblock, Better Privacy, Ghostery, Google Translator for Firefox, Self-Destructing Cookies, Dr. Web Link Checker, Flash Video Downloader
OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Killswitch, Process Hacker I

ADDED CIS 6

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 (BB, Geek Buddy, and Killswitch not utilized); Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
Virtual Comodo Dragon

Browser Addons: Adblock, Better Privacy, Ghostery, Google Translator for Firefox, Self-Destructing Cookies, Dr. Web Link Checker, Flash Video Downloader
OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Process Hacker II

ADDED CIS 6

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
What is a good replacement for Opera? I want something very fast and low profile.

CIS Premium is really nice. Anyone interested in a free suite, that becomes one of the top 5 suites (imho) after some tweaking, should give it a try.

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 (BB, Geek Buddy, and Killswitch not utilized); Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
Virtual Comodo Dragon

OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Process Hacker II

ADDED CIS 6 and Virtual Comodo Dragon

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 (Auto-sandbox, Geek Buddy, and Killswitch not utilized); Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
On-Demand Tools: MBAM, HitMan Pro
Web Browsers: Mozilla Firefox
Virtual Comodo Dragon

OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Process Hacker II, PCHunter, MBAR, Avast anti-rootkit (mbr fix)

ADDED Virtual Comodo Dragon

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have Comodo for AV, HIPS and Firewall. I have Sandboxie for virtualization of Firefox. I have Virtual Comodo Dragon for a backup browser. I utilize Threatfire for my BB. Comodo HIPS is currently on "training mode", soon to be "paranoid mode" once the bugs are gone.

Last edited:

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 (Auto-sandbox, Geek Buddy, and Killswitch not utilized); Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
Virtual Comodo Dragon

Browser Addons: Adblock, Better Privacy, Ghostery, Google Translator for Firefox, Self-Destructing Cookies, Dr. Web Link Checker
OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Process Hacker II, PCHunter, MBAR, Avast anti-rootkit (mbr fix)

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well other then its being windows XP, which is sort of inferior to Win 7 i think you are well rounded.
But it seems you overkill in security. Keep in mind less can be more.
And windows xp is great in many ways, but at the same time its not as great as windows 7.
My personal advise would be to seek a less comprehensive but more versatile security set, i even venture to say that a internet security package of one of the major vendors is going to give you more then your current config.
But thats personally.

I cannot deny the individual quality of the addons you have, but i am also aware that windows XP always did have a problem with multiple modules loaded on the background, and often its very security did decline because of this.
So hence why i say less is more.
That said, you seem like a reasonable well rounded person who does know his way around in computers, so if this works for you, please do not change it.
If it aint broken do not fix it. (Should come with every windows cd lol)

Reactions: Gnosis

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
Well other then its being windows XP, which is sort of inferior to Win 7 i think you are well rounded.
But it seems you overkill in security. Keep in mind less can be more.
And windows xp is great in many ways, but at the same time its not as great as windows 7.
My personal advise would be to seek a less comprehensive but more versatile security set, i even venture to say that a internet security package of one of the major vendors is going to give you more then your current config.
But thats personally.

I cannot deny the individual quality of the addons you have, but i am also aware that windows XP always did have a problem with multiple modules loaded on the background, and often its very security did decline because of this. is more.So hence why i say less
That said, you seem like a reasonable well rounded person who does know his way around in computers, so if this works for you, please do not change it.
If it aint broken do not fix it. (Should come with every windows cd lol)
Generally agree with this too but if it works for you, you should use what you're comfortable with. Sorry if this seems like an irrelevant reply but further wanted to show my agreement of this statement. Sorry for any issues. I personally feel like my browser slows down with too many addons. If you were looking for constructive criticism about this config, which I guess is the general purpose of this sub-forum, I'd drop some tools/addons and maybe Threatfire. With CIS, Sandboxie, some on-demand scanners and updated software you're pretty much as bullet proof as it's going to get. You seem to know what you're doing as well so sometimes less can be more, like he said.

I

illumination

With XP support supposedly dropping soon, and leaving XP with a huge target on it's forehead, i would venture to say "my opinion" that you could not ever have enough security! If it all plays well together, then i would say you have many area's covered that will need to be.. Sandboxie will take care of most windows operating system exploits "not all" but then the other programs should cover your 6.

D

Deleted member 178

You have overlapping components (i never thought i will say that one day ^^) threatfire and sandboxie doing same thing that CIS'BB/HIPS and virtualization (sure they do better but still same function),

I know how you tweak TF and SB so you really dont need CIS , you should replace it with a good standalone FW and a cloud AV

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I agree. PrivateFirewall comes to mind. What about a cloud AV? What brands are available?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Real-time Protection: Panda Cloud AV Free Edition; Comodo Internet Security Premium 6 (Auto-sandbox, Geek Buddy, and Killswitch not utilized); Threatfire BB Level 5 (radically customized); Sandboxie Free Edition (drop administrator rights; delete contents of sandbox upon closing; quick recovery)
Virtual Comodo Dragon

Browser Addons: Adblock, Better Privacy, Ghostery, Google Translator for Firefox, Self-Destructing Cookies, Dr. Web Link Checker
OTHER TOOLS: CCleaner, Wireless Network Watcher, HiJack This, Autoruns, Treesize, Process Hacker II, PCHunter, MBAR, Avast anti-rootkit (mbr fix), F-Secure Blacklight

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hi Gnosis

You are deffo in for a heap of trouble with Panda and CIS next to each other.
There are multiple reasons for it as D+ of CIS does NOT like panda.
Specially if Panda is switching between community ip addresses, because Panda is directly connected to their community (reputation) network.
And sometimes it switches within the reputation carousel, and this mostly happens when Panda finds something.
From that point forward D+ of CIS goes into mayhem with Panda.
3 days ago i actually needed to completely reinstall a friends computer because CIS and Panda went in super conflict ending up that the partition table got corrupted.
Both use pretty aggressive proactive modules.
So be warned.

Also in regards to cloud AV the one of Immunet seems to be rather good, however Panda aint bad.

D

Deleted member 178

I agree if you use Panda remove CIS, do not use both at same time. If you use CIS remove TF.

I dont like Immunet Free and its weak Clam AV engine (not saying its joke Community network) only its paid version use BD engine.
The top cloud AVs are Panda and Webroot.
I closed-beta test WSA since the beginning and it never failed me yet.(and it can be used as companion unlike Panda)

Gnosis
i think i have one webroot AV license in stock , let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nico@FMA and Gnosis

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I agree if you use Panda remove CIS, do not use both at same time. If you use CIS remove TF.

I dont like Immunet Free and its weak Clam AV engine (not saying its joke Community network) only its paid version use BD engine.
The top cloud AVs are Panda and Webroot.
I closed-beta test WSA since the beginning and it never failed me yet.(and it can be used as companion unlike Panda)

Gnosis
i think i have one webroot AV license in stock , let me know if you are interested.

Actually Sourcefire did acquire Immunet some time ago, and they also have a licence do modify the CW-Engine.
Not sure if they already added their own engine parts and their own database to it, but make no mistake, there are loads of reviews out there and honestly they are not exactly good, But immunet has some real jewels in their program that outperform names like Panda by miles.
Immunet uses the cloud virus definitions along with virus definitions from Clam Antivirus AND:
Community Antivirus: Immunet's Collective Immunity™ technology protects all users the instant that a virus is detected on one PC.
This might sound like mubo jumbo, but that last thing is something that stands out as CIT actually increases its potential greatly.
And imo surpasses Panda.

Also Sourcefire has some serious network protection software, and i remember a announce at the ICT convention in Utrecht Netherlands where they officially announced they would bundle their product completely cloud based.
(Whatever that means)
But reviews where good and the overall rating shot up.. Anyway it should be noted that I-Net is not a first line of defence but rather a second line that runs resident, and for that purpose its way more suited then Panda.

D

Deleted member 178

i used Immunet a while ago, it was my first step into cloud solutions, and i can tell you that the community network feature (or whatever name they gave to it) was totally a joke, you were linked to nothing; not saying the resources usage was high for a cloud solution, i even felt slowdown and cpu/ram spikes.

now i never tried the paid solution (not worth the spending), i hope it performs better for those who dared to pay for it.

in my opinion, solutions like Webroot , Panda or BKAV are far superior than Immunet.

I

illumination

I would just stick with what you are comfortable with... You have enough knowledge to take care of business!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Actually Sourcefire did acquire Immunet some time ago, and they also have a licence do modify the CW-Engine.
Not sure if they already added their own engine parts and their own database to it, but make no mistake, there are loads of reviews out there and honestly they are not exactly good, But immunet has some real jewels in their program that outperform names like Panda by miles.
Immunet uses the cloud virus definitions along with virus definitions from Clam Antivirus AND:
Community Antivirus: Immunet's Collective Immunity™ technology protects all users the instant that a virus is detected on one PC.
This might sound like mubo jumbo, but that last thing is something that stands out as CIT actually increases its potential greatly.
And imo surpasses Panda.

Also Sourcefire has some serious network protection software, and i remember a announce at the ICT convention in Utrecht Netherlands where they officially announced they would bundle their product completely cloud based.
(Whatever that means)
But reviews where good and the overall rating shot up.. Anyway it should be noted that I-Net is not a first line of defence but rather a second line that runs resident, and for that purpose its way more suited then Panda.

I agree their free solution is nice for someone who does only windows update and their email.
But their payed solution is seriously better.
Infact it matches KAV, Symantec and Bit.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.