Battle Good detection rates and system resource usage for Low end Gaming PC?

yarr

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
Free or Paid does not really matter at the moment. I'm trying to help my younger sister set up her first gaming PC. She is pretty smart when it comes to browsing the internet and avoiding security risks but I would still like there to be something solid to help just in case she slips up. At the moment we have licenses for ESET Internet Security and Emsisoft. Problem is it's not the greatest computer, mostly my older parts. so we would like make sure it's good (doesn't have to be the best) and doesn't use too many system resources (she's only using 4GB of hand-me-down RAM) Remember this PC was meant for gaming and that's about it so 4GB is kind of meh. I thought ESET would be perfect but she really doesn't like it for whatever reason and I heard Emsisoft can take up a lot of resources. My gripe with Emsisoft is how it's always thinking random files or suspicious or infected when I know the files are fine. Whenever I have security related questions I always come here first. You are all such a HUGE help. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
yarr

(P.S. If I found myself in the wrong forum section please let me know and I will get that fixed right away.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
ESET is extremely light on resources while providing top notch protection. I don't know why your sister doesn't like it but for a gaming PC you can't go wrong with it. In fact, I use it on my gaming rig. Panda is also extremely light on resources but the detection is nowhere as good as ESET or Avast. Another option is Avast Free. But make sure to do a custom install and select only the four shields and set Hardened Mode to Aggressive. No matter which antivirus you use, pair it up with NoVirusThanks Sys Hardener and use it to lock down the system.

Last edited:

yarr

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
ESET is extremely light on resources while providing top notch protection. I don't know why your sister doesn't like it but for a gaming PC you can't go wrong with it. In fact, I use it on my gaming rig. Panda is also extremely light on resources but the detection is nowhere as good as ESET or Avast. Another option is Avast Free. But make sure to do a custom install and select only the four shields and set Hardened Mode to Aggressive. No matter which antivirus you use, pair it up with NoVirusThanks Sys Hardener and use it to lock down the system.
I talked her into using ESET. Do you have any configuration tips?

Reactions: Wraith and bribon77
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

It's fine using it alone.
I believe that, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying someone gonna have a hard time trusting C or comparing it to Eset if its hot AV for gamers PC around world based on how lightweight it is, since C scans only PE's but doesn't protect your network or browsing, someone who isn't techy or more dedicated towards security should use another solution, like Eset. With tweaked Eset you can go braindead online, where with naked C you need to know and how to avoid the most common ways of infection vectors, you can't just allow unkown Word macro and pray Microsoft Jesus to not get infected.

Reactions: Weebarra

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Kaspersky Free which is as light as Avast Free with top notch detection rates. If wanted you can complement it with OS armor as well which doesn't add any noticable resource usage.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
use an anti-exe like NVT OSarmor (set & forget made for noobs , no real time scanning that slow down the system and reduce PFS, easy to add exclusions, etc...)

Before adding exclusions one needs to be sure that the file is not a malware right ?

Reactions: Brie

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.