Battle Good detection rates and system resource usage for Low end Gaming PC?

yarr

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2018
Free or Paid does not really matter at the moment. I'm trying to help my younger sister set up her first gaming PC. She is pretty smart when it comes to browsing the internet and avoiding security risks but I would still like there to be something solid to help just in case she slips up. At the moment we have licenses for ESET Internet Security and Emsisoft. Problem is it's not the greatest computer, mostly my older parts. so we would like make sure it's good (doesn't have to be the best) and doesn't use too many system resources (she's only using 4GB of hand-me-down RAM) Remember this PC was meant for gaming and that's about it so 4GB is kind of meh. I thought ESET would be perfect but she really doesn't like it for whatever reason and I heard Emsisoft can take up a lot of resources. My gripe with Emsisoft is how it's always thinking random files or suspicious or infected when I know the files are fine. Whenever I have security related questions I always come here first. You are all such a HUGE help. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
yarr

(P.S. If I found myself in the wrong forum section please let me know and I will get that fixed right away.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
I believe that, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying someone gonna have a hard time trusting C or comparing it to Eset if its hot AV for gamers PC around world based on how lightweight it is, since C scans only PE's but doesn't protect your network or browsing, someone who isn't techy or more dedicated towards security should use another solution, like Eset. With tweaked Eset you can go braindead online, where with naked C you need to know and how to avoid the most common ways of infection vectors, you can't just allow unkown Word macro and pray Microsoft Jesus to not get infected.

Eh I've already stated how I feel about browsing protection and third party firewalls. I've also had tons of problems with ESET while gaming. Cylance is the only AV that I haven't noticed on my gaming PC. Webroot is another great choice.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Eh I've already stated how I feel about browsing protection and third party firewalls. I've also had tons of problems with ESET while gaming. Cylance is the only AV that I haven't noticed on my gaming PC. Webroot is another great choice.
I've heard pretty good things about Cylance. Too bad their website does not offer a trial and even when I tried to purchase it, it says that due to legal constraints it's not available in my region. I'm currently trying out the 30 days evaluation of Appguard 4.8.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
L

Local Host

Its seems she is smart enough for not "choose" Eset :ROFLMAO:
Ok we have many choices to choose , Avast , Webroot, Avira , Panda....:) and Also @Umbra total security Pro :D
Stay away from Avast, Avira and Panda.
Both Avast and Avira can be resource hogs, although Panda is light, it's protection is bad compared to the competition and leaves lots of trash behind when you try to remove it.
I already suggested ESET, as it's light and effective on it's own, you only need to configure it properly.
I myself used Kaspersky on a gaming rig and was more than happy with it, it had no performance hit whasoever and unlike ESET it comes properly configured out of the box.
So either ESET or Kaspersky will do for what you want.

D

Deleted member 178

I'm currently trying out the 30 days evaluation of Appguard 4.8.
To my knowledge, there is no v4.8 of Appguard, it is either 4.4.6.1 or v5 or v6...
Maybe it is a fake weaponized version and you are actually backdoored LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wraith

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
To my knowledge, there is no v4.8 of Appguard, it is either 4.4.6.1 or v5 or v6...
Maybe it is a fake weaponized version and you are actually backdoored LOL
sorry, my bad the version number is 4.2.8.1.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 237

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Where did you get it ? There is no legitimate AppGuard version avaialble today that offers a 30 day trial.
I was just googling for appguard and I got the installer. Its around a 20mb executable. I scanned it with ESET before installing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 223

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@devjit2018 ok, this is more like it then.

Normally you shouldn't have it ^^
Well I guess than I got lucky in finding the installer since I was extremely interested in evaluating Appguard after hearing about it from MT. So far I'm liking it. No performance impact with and works well with ESET and SD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.