Advice Request Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?

• Yes

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
IP/DNS Detect I suggest you this website to check if your vpn has leaks
Thanks for the link :)

Sans titre.jpg

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Excellent choices , the best of the best .

There are only six that pass all of the tests in this recent report , all of the rest leak to some degree ( paid or free ) .
In total 49 were comprehensively tested .

The guy who wrote it and did the testing is the maestro of VPN , a guru even ..... trust me on that :)

He has also written superb set-up guides , and I will happily look up the links if anyone is interested.
Would be nice if u can find the links :) i always want to learn more about vpns :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
i though you needed unlimited free vpn not with 15gb limit per month so i change my comment..
I am not the OP :)
I would like for someone to suggest to me a good free VPN. If anyone could help that would be sweet, I had betternet VPN on my machine and it stopped working, tried removing it and reinstalling.... No dice...

In fact I first made a mistake quoting you, I wanted to quote Dirk41, the thanks was for its link to test VPN, I edited it after :oops:

The screenshot I linked in the spoiler was the result I obtained testing this tool :
Good Free VPN - Is there such a thing?
and using the IE11 it uses by default.

Last edited:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Would be nice if u can find the links :) i always want to learn more about vpns :)

These should give you all the info you will probably ever need ( perhaps much more than you need ! )

This is a good starting point :-

Advanced Privacy and Anonymity Using VMs, VPN's, Tor - Part 1

And further guides are here :-

IVPN Privacy Guides

Please note that although these guides appear on the IVPN website , they are in no way specific to IVPN ,
and they can be applied equally well to any VPN service you may choose , but there seems little point
in making the effort if the VPN service is of a low quality from the start .

You can put lipstick on a pig , but it will still be a pig :) ( .... no disrespect to pigs intended )

Written by the same guy who did the testing report in my previous post .

Read , study and enjoy ....

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I suggested CyberGhost to All!
very fast,Nice GUI,very easy to use.
btw: CyberGhost provided you great Security without spying or snooping!
1-Base In Romania,one of the best country that has user privacy friendly law.
many free vpn provider store your log for calculating bandwidth but CG no!
"we do not store statistical data, which can be linked to a user account. Also, we do not store data on who had used which server and when."
they accepted Bitcoin for user who they want stay anonymous.
2-In March 2012, CyberGhost had successfully passed an audit and verification conducted by QSCert for the implemented Information Safety Management System (ISMS) according to the international industrial standards ISO27001 and ISO9001. The certification confirms the high quality of the internal safety processes and is renewed yearly ever since.
3- read here also : I've got a suspicion concerning one of your users. Can I request for him/her to be checked up? - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
:D

BillR5

Level 1
Nov 2, 2015

There are only six that pass all of the tests in this recent report , all of the rest leak to some degree ( paid or free ) .

The guy who wrote it and did the testing is the maestro of VPN , a guru even ..... trust me on that :)

He has also written superb set-up guides , and I will happily look up the links if anyone is interested.

I've been to this site before. Potentially great info is severely damaged by the lack of the test date and a few important details, especially which VPNs made and failed to meet claims at the time of testing.

Without a date, this "feels" like outdated, slanted marketing. Without identifying which VPNs failed to meet claims (but mentioning that the claimed support was why some VPNs were included), it "feels" like an attempt to paint almost all VPNs with the same tar brush. Together, these destroyed much of the credibility for me despite the painstaking, clear identification of sponsorship and apparent technical competence.

I really hope someone can point to date and contemporaneous claims. The only guidance I can find is "OpenVPN v2.3.10 (which was the latest version at the time)."

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Now Avira phantom offers 1gb/month for free. Do you think we can trust Avira ? Since I rarely connect to unsecure wifi it would be enough for me ( from smartphone )

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Uhhm most VPN solutions are good enough and yes some leak, or are not as good as advertised yet for everyday online browsing most will keep your data private. The real question is tho: Who CAN see your data? most VPN providers claim to encrypt your data that even they cannot see it.
Well we all know that is a outright lie and a marketing trick.
Even VPN providers are bound to a at least 3 up to 36 months data retention law which most western and more developed nations have agreed to internationally. And as such it also means that your encrypted data is view-able by for example law enforcement but also by the provider themselves. (No Matter what everyone claims)
Some will skim trough the data streams using a automated process to collect user habits and such which they trough a third party can sell to generate revenue (or do you really think that free VPN means free VPN?)
Regarding VPN leak tests and such the truth is there are near perfect, good, average and crappy ones. But they all have one thing in common: VPN in general provides just as much anonymity as giving the police officer a false name with a false address. It just takes a bit longer to find out who you are, where you are and what URL's you have visited at what time from what internet connection and such.

To stop webpages from finding out your data the best VPN services are usually the ones available from your ISP, because they have all the necessary protections in place and also have pretty much ZERO speedloss and near ZERO shady habits and specially the last thing is something that even premium VPN providers cannot claim. As the bulk of them while premium and offering superB services are just as shady as the crappy ones.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Even VPN providers are bound to a at least 3 up to 36 months data retention law which most western and more developed nations have agreed to internationally.

There are enough vpn providers that does not logg anything. like perfect privacy, who are registered in swizerland, or a vpn provider in panama. to say all need to logg is simple not true.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.