Advice Request Good Laptop for penetration Testing and network simulation

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi Malware tips Pros
i want your opinion for laptop for work/learning/personal which can handle a lot of virtual machines in working at the same time "for example 6 or 7 VMs".
here is my requirements :
  1. i want to learn hacking courses such as CEH/CHFI which require more than OS Labs and some tools consume a lot of computing power such as password cracking /DoS attack tools, .etc
  2. Developing Network simulation using GNS3 which may connect multiple PC VMs as hosts "simulate large network architecture
  3. Gaming is not requirement.
  4. Software Development in the future
so i want very powerful processor "if it support hyperthreading" and high number of cores/i want avoid upgrade for long period of time in the future

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Go with a 4800H rather than 4600h the extra cores will definitely help with multi VMs.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
No laptop will be able to support 6 or 7 VMs running simultaneously. If you intend upon doing that, then you need a tower PC with a top processor and at least 32 GB RAM. You can self-build such a tower PC easily with your budget.
Portability is very important for me if i learn certain course and need fast access to my created labs. i thought to have desktop with remove access but i think i want laptop if i wanted to travel it wanted be easier to handle
Most pentest learning labs only require 2 or 3 active VMs for the lessons. If you use HTB or Vulnhub, then those are hosted on remote servers, instead of running them on your local host.
Not that match . i was learning CEH in ECCouncil there was more than 5 OS "kali linux/ old vulnerable system for windows server/consumer version hosted on ECCouncil cloud
there is laptop capable of that with enough processor / RAM resources. actually i am running more than 5 VM on my Lenovo Thinkpad 52 laptop.see screenshot
245047767_1529860327376196_937000295127846313_n.jpg

Don't use an HDD system. It's obsolete hardware and will make your system a complete waste of money because the VMs will crawl. You need a 1 TB SSD.
i will upgrade in near future with another SSD M2 type

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
There is a webcam.

I know about this laptop as I use it for OSCP. I got it on sale in USA as open box for 1075 Euros, then with shipping and tax to EU it was an additional 150 Euros.
you are taking OSCP. :D that is my next thinking about certificate. i am preparing for ISA secure now
Regarding Labtop , i am thinking yo purchase desktop and configure remote access to it from my laptop instead

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.