Advice Request Google thinks government attackers are trying to steal my password !!?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

tech_eng

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 9, 2020
I opened a SurfShark VPN connection (US Server) to visit a couple of sites and forgot to turn it off, and used the PC for few hours at night, the next morning I got a warning from Google that my government backed attacked might be trying to steal my password (check attached screenshot).

I am more sure that google detected the vpn and access to my account from a different country, that's the reason. did this happen to anybody else?

I am not an important person to have the government after me (not in politics/not a journalist), I already have 2 factor authentication activated, I changed the password anyway, and the login locations doesn't show any suspected data, just that access to google from USA during the vpn connection.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220721-143910_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20220721-143910_Google Play services.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 144

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Google indicate this may be a false positive but its also a good time to start stronger security habits.
Is losing your google account worth the cost of a couple of biometric keys and some inconvenience?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.