green0ovrs's Windows Config

green0ovrs

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 10, 2015
I don't know that much about coding, but recently I'm trying to learn more languages like Python and C (mostly Python for now). I'm an expert with Windows (I know the Windows system inside and out) and mess around with the Registry a lot to make my computer more to my liking. I take apart old computers and salvage the parts (if they no longer work, that is). Basically, I know how to tweak programs to their best (including operating systems). I like testing pre-release software (betas) and malware as well, and hope to make an operating system one day... although, don't we all? :p

UPDATE: Webroot SA and Baidu are my real-time, MBAM Pro is my on-demand. Whoops. Thanks to @exterminator20 for reminding me of this.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think I would use Baidu AV as real time protection alongside WSA and use MBAM as on demand
Consider one or two more on demand scanners
CCleaner or Privazer for privacy software
Consider uBlock in place of ABD + and HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome & Firefox

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi it is a good config, but I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 second virus scanner, which is fast and it runs in background, so it doesn't take slow down the PC.
In addition you can install CCleaner, PrivaZer and Auslogics Disk Defrag for privacy & optimization!
Finally, you can also install Collusion extension for your most used browser, because this extension allows you to know which websites are tracking you, and this is very important.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

green0ovrs

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 10, 2015
I think I would use Baidu AV as real time protection alongside WSA and use MBAM as on demand
Consider one or two more on demand scanners
CCleaner or Privazer for privacy software
Consider uBlock in place of ABD + and HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome & Firefox

Yes, I meant to put Baidu as real-time, I don't know what I was thinking. MBAM is definitely more of an on-demand scanner IMO. I'll edit the original post in light of this. What would you recommend for another on-demand scanner? I'll check out the privacy software, I definitely should have something, I guess I just never thought of it before. I've heard of CCleaner and was thinking of installing it a few days ago, I'll probably give that a try today. Some good extensions, I'll check those out, my Chrome is outdated since I don't like some of the new features, so I definitely need my Chrome to be more secure. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll start putting some of them into effect to day and let you know how it goes :)

Hi it is a good config, but I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 second virus scanner, which is fast and it runs in background, so it doesn't take slow down the PC.
In addition you can install CCleaner, PrivaZer and Auslogics Disk Defrag for privacy & optimization!
Finally, you can also install Collusion extension for your most used browser, because this extension allows you to know which websites are tracking you, and this is very important.
Thanks for sharing it ;)

I've definitely heard some good reviews on BitDefender, I think I'll give it a try. At one point I even had Zemana installed, but my computer started slowing down too much, so BitDefender's perfect since it runs nicely in the background :) I will definitely look into the privacy/optimization software you recommended, my computer's starting to lose it's new-PC "fast-ness". Collusion? Never heard of it. I like those features you mentioned, and I think I'll go install it right now, actually! Thanks for your suggestions, they'll definitely help me out!

I would like to suggest Macrium Reflect Or Aomei Backupper for a good backup solution both of which have a very good free version. ;)

Thanks, I'll look into these, what good will my registry backups do if I don't have the other parts of the system backed up, too? :D

What's wrong with Windows 7 backup? (is it not included with Win8? It is with Win10, so I assume 8 has it)

I like copy.com for real-time cloud backups (it has versioning). https://copy.com?r=AUupvU

No, it's in Windows 8, I just can't set it to auto-backup, and don't feel like constantly making backups now and then. The registry is easy since it only takes mere seconds. I've never heard of Copy before, thanks for letting me know about it. Cool! :)

Reactions: JM Safe

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
It's the same Win7 backup in Win10...automatic schedule and everything; I have mine daily at 0300. Between that, File History, System Restore points (which includes registry), you're covered except for off-site irreplaceable file backup, which is what I use Copy for. I'd like to use OneDrive but it doesn't support versioning for all files and the interface is difficult.

Zemana is a great on-demand

green0ovrs

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 10, 2015
I'll post config updates in this post so that I don't have to make multiple posts with any updates.

- Replaced Adblock Plus with uBlock
- Added HTTPS Everywhere Chrome extension
- Installed BitDefender 60-Second Scanner
- Installed CCleaner
- Forgot to mention: I have MalwareBytes Anti-Expoit Premo Trial installed.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Huh, I thought I heard having to many Antiviruses could harm your computer, or does this not apply to on-demand scanners?
They are only used on demand they do not run unless you scan your computer with them

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@green0ovrs : Overall good configuration, just add a proper test environment like Virtual Machine or use Sandboxie/Toolwiz Time Freeze to conduct those dangerous test. Just do a backup in such circumstances.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I'll post config updates in this post so that I don't have to make multiple posts with any updates.

- Replaced Adblock Plus with uBlock
- Added HTTPS Everywhere Chrome extension
- Installed BitDefender 60-Second Scanner
- Installing CCleaner
Great ;)

Reactions: frogboy

green0ovrs

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 10, 2015
@green0ovrs : Overall good configuration, just add a proper test environment like Virtual Machine or use Sandboxie/Toolwiz Time Freeze to conduct those dangerous test. Just do a backup in such circumstances.

I already have VMware Workstation, if you read the "Programs" section of my config. I use it quite regularly since I test betas of operating systems and such. I've also been considering Sandboxie, but my VMs are working well for now! :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.