Groups and Promotions Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
RE: New Groups and Promotions

I see your point HeffeD. Joining a forum, posting a link to a different or alternative site on the same day, and asking for people to use your referral link is a bit much. I didn't have much trouble when I posted this site (and my ref link) at a private (tracker) forum. See, the point there wasn't security discussions...it was mainly "tracker" things. :rolleyes: So it wasn't competition, and since I had been a member for a little while (though still new) it wasn't really perceived as spamming.

As with Watasha on Comodo...many people know him, and they realized (sort of) that this wasn't really a replacement forum.

I'm upset with the reactions of the avast! group, but I can understand some of the reasoning and feelings that probably had. Besides, their anti-Comodo mindset conflicted with most of us, who came from Comodo's forums. :p

As for AVG members... I guess they thought you just joined only to post a link to this forum. :p

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

@LaserWraith: That is also true (except the part that I edited out :) )

Most members on support forums are only interested in the product they use. It is nothing wrong to like & recommend a product but this forum is about security in general. From time to time you might want to try something else and accept the idea that no software is perfect. Security is not something that can be stated, it has to be proven over time and continuously improved. You never reach a 100% secure status. Even thinking that you are 100% secure lowers your security. I think it has more to do with knowledge than certain products.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
@LaserWraith: That is also true (except the part that I edited out :) )

Most members on support forums are only interested in the product they use. It is nothing wrong to like & recommend a product but this forum is about security in general. From time to time you might want to try something else and accept the idea that no software is perfect. Security is not something that can be stated, it has to be proven over time and continuously improved. You never reach a 100% secure status. Even thinking that you are 100% secure lowers your security. I think it has more to do with knowledge than certain products.

Hey, that was the funny part. :bigboulay:

(It is true that I don't like AVG much...many of the infected PCs I've seen had it installed, for all the good it did...but I guess it wasn't to nice to insult them. :s)

I agree with you. You can't get 100% security. An extremely smart person, using CIS, GeSWall, and some on-demand scanners, might never be infected his whole life, but there was a chance of it, however small it might have been.

It could just be that he lets someone use his computer for a few minutes...and "boom."

I use the parental control setting to lock up CIS on our family computers. Enough people in my family would not know how to respond to alerts. So I just lock everything down with CIS. There would be one weakness, however...if something was malicious was downloaded that was in the trusted vendor list. (There isn't much chance of that, though: I limit the sites some of them can visit, and teach the others how to recognize trouble.)

---

IDK how I can stray from a topic like this.

Anyway, here is the to-do list: Spread the word of our forum, try and save AVG users from a terrible fate (though reformatting is good for you :p), don't take anything I say next I say serious, and make me admin. :love: (I'm spectacularly subtle.)

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

LaserWraith said:
An extremely smart person, using CIS, GeSWall, and some on-demand scanners, might never be infected his whole life, but there was a chance of it, however small it might have been.
You called?
:biggrin:
That what might have been?

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011

LaserWraith said:
I see your point HeffeD. Joining a forum, posting a link to a different or alternative site on the same day, and asking for people to use your referral link is a bit much. I didn't have much trouble when I posted this site (and my ref link) at a private (tracker) forum. See, the point there wasn't security discussions...it was mainly "tracker" things. :rolleyes: So it wasn't competition, and since I had been a member for a little while (though still new) it wasn't really perceived as spamming.

As with Watasha on Comodo...many people know him, and they realized (sort of) that this wasn't really a replacement forum.

I agree with you. I posted openly on the Comodo forum for that exact reason, I wasn't advertising it as a replacement for Comodo. Also you're a good example as far as knowing me & understanding what I was doing. Later we had Chiron & HeffeD ect. also people that we are familiar with. Anyway, I've ceased the open posting & resorted to a few selective invitations. I've actually handpicked a couple of people recently to invite. In my opinion we don't need empty numbers when it comes to users. I would rather have 300 dedicated, helpful, personable, active members than 10,000 members who never contribute. Quality not quantity.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Hey bogdan,when will the Postaholics get a badge!? :whistle:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Glad i found this topic, and i understand why i cannot delete my post. :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Changes:
Members can change profile design and upload a picture on their profile (previously you had to be an advanced member to upload a picture on your profile)
The status plugin was removed due to some problems it was causing.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Awesome...Thank you for the info bogdan.

I've already got a backround picture on my profile...:D

Note : To use a image as backround for your profile, insert the image link in the "Background Image" field and click "Save"

ikdvUy.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Me too I just changed a plain color to a image that I got from the website :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Me too I just changed a plain color to a image that I got from the website :)
Seen your profile page,looks very good :great:

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

Will I never get italics in my name now considering that I am not in the Registered users group?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Link

Well even you are moderator you can have an italic since the post counts, reputation and days on forum that needed, from the posting freak.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Link

Well even you are moderator you can have an italic since the post counts, reputation and days on forum that needed, from the posting freak.
People of whom have registered users as their display group can gain the bold and italic username.
My display group is 'Super Moderator' so I cannot gain the ranks this way.
I like having Super Moderator as my display group, but I wish the username was in italics.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011

elliotcroft said:
jamescv7 said:
Link

People of whom have registered users as their display group can gain the bold and italic username.
My display group is 'Super Moderator' so I cannot gain the ranks this way.
I like having Super Moderator as my display group, but I wish the username was in italics.

From what I know about MyBB (the software this place is using), only admins have italics, but their might be a way to change that.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

elliot :) There is a way to change it, but I'll make you work for it :p When you get to 50 rep I'll change every S-MOD name to italic.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
elliot :) There is a way to change it, but I'll make you work for it :p When you get to 50 rep I'll change every S-MOD name to italic.
Considering it took me this long to get to 25 rep, I'll probably still be working on getting 50 next year. :biggrin:
How do you make it seem so easy, bogdan?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

Advice: think positive, I know an admin that likes that and will give you rep for it. ;)

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011

bogdan said:
Advice: think positive, I know an admin that likes that and will give you rep for it. ;)
I shall take heed to your advice, master. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.