Guardian Angel Config

Guardian Angel

Thread author
Jun 30, 2011
I also would like to add I have Norton DNS and MVPS Host File as well for protection. Once Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is expired I am thinking about going with Avast Free and Online Armor and I am wondering what is your opinion of this combination? Finally thank you

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
First off, welcome to MalwareTips. :D

You could take the remaining 27 days of your Kaspersky license to the 2012 version.

Avast 6 Free and Online Armor Free is nice combination, you could use the Run Safer from OA for your web browsing. I don't think Avast and OA would conflict, but there would be HIPS pop-ups from OA (for you to decide the outcome).

Personally, I'm not fond of Firewall softwares with HIPS, but it's down to each user.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
KIS 2012 is a powerfull suite, which should keep you safe with no major problems.As a optional step , you can increase KIS 2012 prevention by using it in Interactive mode ,the main downside is that you'll may need to answer to some pop-ups, however this should increase your level of protection.
kis2012_6255_01_en.gif

Guardian Angel said:
I also would like to add I have OpenDNS as well for protection.
I wouldn't advice you to use OpenDNS if you are looking for extra-protection from your dns because OpenDNS is meant to be used as content filter and not as malware filter.
If you really like to use a secure DNS you can choose : ClearCloud or Norton DNS.....
Also you can use "DNS Jumper" to easily change your dns server.

Welcome aboard!:D

D

Deleted member 178

good combo, you should use it right now, IMO it is useless to keep KIS if you dont plan to buy it.

you may add EMET , Emsisoft Anti-Malware free and Hitman Pro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
good combo, you should use it right now, IMO it is useless to keep KIS if you dont plan to buy it.
Haha, I don't think it's a trial version, but a year license that soon may run out.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good config with Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. Also from the suggestion with Avast 6 free and Online Armor= Strong combination.

Guardian Angel

Thread author
Jun 30, 2011
Thank all you very much for your opinion and suggestion. After My Kaspersky license expire I am more confident that I am going to switch to Avast and Online Armor.

@umbrapolaris: @stormgtr is correct I am using a 1 year license which is going to run out soon.

@umbrapolaris: Thank you for your suggestion. I am planning to install Hitmanpro and considering EMET; however, searching about Emsisoft Anti-Malware free I feel it's the same as Malwarebytes unless I am missing something.

@Jack: Thank you for your suggestion I'll take a look at it; although, if I am not mistaken (as I researched some information) OpenDNS as well does have somewhat a malware filter...maybe not as strong? I would still consider it.

Once again thank you.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
When your Kaspersky runs out, switch to Avast or any other AV that you like.
I believe you ll get more protection if you add Sandboxie instead of Online
Armor. I used Avast with Sandboxie and nothing ever got through. Sandboxie
is very light on resources consumption and its easy to learn. If you decide
to try it, you can install the free version.

About the scanners, you are well covered by running HMP and MBAM quick
scan. In my opinion, Emisoft would be redundant because of what you have
installed at this moment.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

Guardian Angel said:
@umbrapolaris: @stormgtr is correct I am using a 1 year license which is going to run out soon.

sorry bad habit, i use many trial so it is why i imagine others do it too ^^

@umbrapolaris: Thank you for your suggestion. I am planning to install Hitmanpro and considering EMET; however, searching about Emsisoft Anti-Malware free I feel it's the same as Malwarebytes unless I am missing something.

yes, it is similar and it is not absolutly necressary. i use it because its great efficiency. Im a bit paranoid and like trying lot of softs ^^

@Jack: Thank you for your suggestion I'll take a look at it; although, if I am not mistaken (as I researched some information) OpenDNS as well does have somewhat a malware filter...maybe not as strong? I would still consider it.

better using Norton DNS, openDNS protection is very very light.

Guardian Angel

Thread author
Jun 30, 2011
@bo.elam: Thanks for the suggestion; however, I need to have a firewall as the Windows Firewall ain't enough to protect me on a Windows XP system. Sandboxie (from what I read) is great; but, doesn't have a firewall. Although I'm pretty sure I can run both Online Armor and Sandboxie.

@umbrapolaris: No worries, mistakes happen.

I am going to update the first post as now I had gotten rid of OpenDNS replace by Norton DNS, upgraded to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. I am also going to put up MVPS Host File which I had forgotten to put up while creating this topic.

Finally, I want to thank you all again for the suggestions you've given me so far.

D

Deleted member 178

no problem, as i usually said to my customers or friends: dont mind if this product is free or not, if you feel comfortable in using it, just continue with it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.