Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage: Guilded - Chat for Gaming Communities
Blog Updates: guilded.gg/blog

App Store: ‎Guilded - Chat, Stats, LFG
Play Store: Guilded - Chat, Stats, LFG - Apps on Google Play

Windows Central: If you like Discord then you're going to LOVE Guilded
There is always a worry with services like Guilded being totally free to use. After all, something has to fund development work, and it's not an open-source project either. So developers will need paying. One of the bigger criticisms directed at Discord right now is hiding features behind its $10 a month Nitro subscription.

I'm not criticizing that because we all need to get paid somehow. But when you step back and look at what Guilded offers for free right now and has committed to keeping free in the future, you'll be astonished.

The core service of Guilded will remain free, and right now, there's only one monetization tool in play. Guilded Gold allows users of the platform to contribute to the development and, with that get access to newer features earlier, during their alpha and beta stages.

Eventually, there may well be more in the way of premium features behind a purchase, but the commitment is to keep what's currently here available for free. And when that includes 1080p video and 256kbps audio. For free. This is one of the areas where Guilded has the edge over Discord, which hides higher resolution video and better quality audio behind a paywall. Given the global situation throughout 2020 and 2021 and the amount of remote communication now a daily staple, this is a great touch.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
So you copy a software and present it as a better alternative, very trustworthy. Then again, it is just like FB, what is the point of alternatives, when everyone uses the original?!
There's many reasons why. Perhaps it's to provide more variety for users, take up market share, provide a better service, etc. I think it's good to be open to new products/services as they discourage monopolies. Or better yet, perhaps it's for the more privacy-oriented users who care about where their information is being stored & who has access to it. But to your point, when something is so big & people are already using it, it's hard to make the people around you switch for something else, even it it's a better alternative

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Gamers make small groups, so they can make a choice of what to use.
By making groups smaller, dividing community even more. Like I play Euro Truck Simulator and there are currently 3 different software to track jobs and etc. Well, now there will be 4. :cautious:

Reactions: Venustus

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I tried Guilded last year with my group, and it's great. We didn't migrate due to lack of API support, clunkiness for migration from other platforms. Some things just didn't work or have been missing in comparison to Discord and/or website tools etc...

A few pros in my eyes is though, that you can subscribe to a specific server and support that server. Another one is extensive tooling eg. forums and event automated calenders all integrated into the client (no payment needed).

For what it's worth, its worth a trial in my opinion. But you have to judge for yourselves whether its something for your uses and that of your community. We didn't for the reasons stated that we encountered at the time. Our testing period ran from July through October.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.