Advice: use a VM if you download malwares

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I might add ESET Online scanner to your on demand scanners and drop SAS
I would strongly consider using only one utility program and that would be WiseCare.Personally I would get rid of TUU
You could consider CCleaner or Privazer also as either one of these is usually more than enough
Consider some type of back up solution also
Config looks good though,thanks for sharing it

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ha14

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 13, 2015
i used to use Oops backup and handy backup, but since Windows 8.1, I am no mre using both of them, maybe I am becoming lazy :)

VM is good thanks for your advice, but I am no longer heavily testing malware samples to check the vulnerability of my security Tools.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Looks good! I would just add CCleaner to this.
Also nice to see that at least somebody is using Vipre. In my opinion an underrated antivirus that deserves more attention.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

ha14

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 13, 2015
Yes it is kind underrated, it does slow down the system when in Active protection when the option check files when they are opened or copied is Checked.

ha14

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 13, 2015
Thanks
Tune Up and Wise Care, how much do you need to optimize?
It is not only for optimzation purposes, TuneUp does have other different features.

Reactions: LabZero

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Yes it is kind underrated, it does slow down the system when in Active protection when the option check files when they are opened or copied is Checked.
Yes it is indeed not the lightest one sometimes, but still quite good compared to others like Bitdefender.

Reactions: ha14

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @ha14. Thank you for sharing you configuration! It was interesting to hear about Vipre Internet Security.:)
I'm pleased to read you use Sandboxie too (..for obvious reasons.).:rolleyes: It is among my favorite free programs to protect against those pesky infections whist browsing about the cyber universe!:D
Another free program that's already been mentioned, CCleaner, is definitely worthwhile. Read all about it's latest version here:
Piriform News - CCleaner v5.10
(includes a link to download) If you decide to try it, there's also a portable version which we use. If you'd prefer this too, from the download page, scroll down to the bottom, then find it under "builds".;)

You use both online scanners I do (MBAM & HMP).:):)
So, when exterminator20 recommended ESET Online Scanner, I'd decided to find it for myself too, & shall share it with you here:
ESET Online Scanner :cool:

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Choose one from your current cleaning tools, Tuneup Utilities or Wise Care as for practical reason and avoid any unnecessary software that are too much on a category.

What browser and extensions you use? Be sure to have an adblocker for ease of browsing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.