Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
100% disk usage
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Defrag
So notice when I run a VM in vmware my disk usage runs at 100% the whole time and my system slows down completely. Does anyone know a good way to lower the usage?

L

LabZero

Mainly slowdowns may occur due to an application's RAM memory overhead used by the Virtual Machine.

Although apparently the VM is designed with the correct amount of memory, the memory on a VMWare machine is not necessarily the same as the physical memory, so it can trigger "swap" mechanisms (access to hard disk memory instead of directly on the RAM), which will significantly impact the performance of the VM.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
In case you have enough RAM available you can turn off memory swapping under Edit>Preferences>Memory

H6RAJDM.jpg

Reactions: LabZero
Upvote 0

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I have a good amount of RAM at 16GB. VM is set to run 6GB.
I'll try turning off the memory switching and see if there is a difference.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.