Eset
Fav. Videogame
Legend of Zelda, NES version

OaksLabs

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 28, 2016
Howdy,

I'm Jeremy, aka the guy who runs oakslabs. com. I'm a computer repair technician, and I'm about to graduate with my degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin-Superior.

Ever since I started working in IT in 2009, I've had a passion for IT security. In 2014, I started working on my own malware removal utility (the OaksLabs Removal Tool, aka ORT). I came across MalwareTips because of this thread: OaksLabs Removal Tool. where someone had discovered my utility (and how quickly it is flagged by AV/AM software). For more on ORT, see this thread on Technibble: The ORT Thread (aka Sea Turtle Thread) | Technibble Forums

I see that MalwareTips has a lot of knowledgeable members, and I wanted to reach out to the community a bit. Besides having a healthy suspicion of my utility, some people had less than ideal experiences with it, and I want to publish a high quality product -- so I'd like to get feedback about features you'd like to see added, answer any questions you may have, and hear any feedback you have to offer.

Before I go any further, let me explain why my software and domain set off so many AV/AM products. To deter trivial reverse engineering of ORT, I use UPX to pack the executable -- and this is universally suspicious. I also use a free for commercial use script compiler f2ko. de/en/b2e.php, and malware authors use this compiler too (I care about being kosher with EULAs, and this comes back to bite me a lot). I also host my own downloads (I self host all web/e-mail/FTP services), and between having an improperly configured PTR record and publishing executables on my website, I've been added to several black lists. I'm working to fix this, but fighting malware is my nights and weekend gig, and I don't make a dime off of it -- so it hasn't been a top priority of mine.

So, I hope that we can work together to make a safer and more malware-free world. I have two other products that aren't published yet [PXE boot malware removal server and an automation framework for popular malware removal tools], and I hope when the time comes I can offer them to the MalwareTips community for beta testing.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Welcome Jeremy :)
You yourself seem pretty knowledgeable, make yourself at home here at MT, you will find that it is a stellar community with others that are passionate concerning security and fighting the good fight.
It's an honor to have you here. PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@OaksLabs
Just to be clear the links you provided for the "Sea Turtle Thread" in your original post are "not" for end users. See Screenshot below.
Its a Technibble forum, some of you may know, but for those of you that don't they will ban you for simply being an "end user".. PeAcE

SS_03292016.png

Reactions: Sana

OaksLabs

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 28, 2016
@OaksLabs
Just to be clear the links you provided for the "Sea Turtle Thread" in your original post are "not" for end users. See Screenshot below.
Its a Technibble forum, some of you may know, but for those of you that don't they will ban you for simply being an "end user".. PeAcE

Yes, that is Technibble's policy. Are you able to read the thread without logging in? If not I'd be happy to copy the information to my website or this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.