Troubleshoot Help with AdwCleaner

zeh0002

Thread author
Jun 19, 2014
Hey guys, first off I should say I'm not particularly well versed in this kind of thing, so this might be a silly question. I got a new laptop a couple days ago and its already pretty much riddled with a bunch of stuff I don't want. One of these is Greener Ads, so in looking for ways to get rid of this stuff I came upon the tutorial on this site. I got AdwCleaner and ran the scan, and now I'm looking at all the stuff it plans on removing and some of it looks pretty important. I'm hesitant to remove all of this stuff without checking first that I won't remove anything that could be harmful to the computer. So my question is this: should I go ahead and let AdwCleaner remove what it wants or do I need to deselect some of what it finds? If necessary I can provide the log file that lists all of the potential threats it has found. Thanks in advance!

M

MalwareT

AdwCleaner is absolutely safe to use, you can choose which items will be removed. What AdwCleaner finds i recommend to remove them all, and what misses you can use Junkware Removal Tool, which is complicated a lot. What AdwCleaner misses, you must uninstall programs that you consider as adware, you can use IObit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller,Geek Uninstaller,Wise Program Uninstaller.These programs are very good in removing programs that wont uninstall properly, which is in most common cases adware.I'm computer technician for 4 years, and i repaired a lot of pc's. If you still have some issues, send me a message in inbox, so i can help via TeamViewer. ;)

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Post the log file up here and I'll take a look at it for you if you want. I've got a lot of experience in removing malware but I'm not one of the official helpers here. My inbox is open too if you want some personal one on one help to make sure all your viruses and malware are blown to bits and removed safely, and I can help you with some good programs to prevent any infections coming back too :)

Upvote 0

zeh0002

Thread author
Jun 19, 2014
  • Wow thanks for the quick reply. I'll put up the log file here just in case, but I'll probably just let AdwCleaner do its thing. The only other thing that I'm worried about is it detects this start menu thing that after a little research I've done seems to be pretty innocuous and installed by Lenovo (my laptop is a Lenovo). I don't want to have AdwCleaner to remove something from that and end up with a start menu that doesn't work, unless you guys know if it's something that should be completely removed anyway. It's a start menu replacement by Pokki.

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[R2].txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

What can i see here is that you have pokki start menu installed, if you are using Windows 8, then you can use ClassicShell, which is free and more feature rich. Even Windows 8.1 has Start menu though. Remove Pokki, and if you are using os mentioned above, install program what i mentioned above, i never heard of Pokki. Systweak is scam company, never trust them, neither Uniblue. If you dont want clean laptop with AdwCleaner, then uninstall pokki and any systweak software (if you have it installed).

Reactions: zeh0002
Upvote 0

Fatdcuk

Jun 19, 2014
Slightly OT
No Greener Web detection in that AdwareCleaner log.

Sanbreel/Superweb PUP/Adware

Maybe if one of the guys at the Virus Exchange here can contact them and let them know.Its not to hard too track down the installers or online data.

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
What can i see here is that you have pokki start menu installed, if you are using Windows 8, then you can use ClassicShell, which is free and more feature rich. Even Windows 8.1 has Start menu though. Remove Pokki, and if you are using os mentioned above, install program what i mentioned above, i never heard of Pokki. Systweak is scam company, never trust them, neither Uniblue. If you dont want clean laptop with AdwCleaner, then uninstall pokki and any systweak software (if you have it installed).
Pokki is actually pretty good also.

Last edited:
Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

zeh0002

Thread author
Jun 19, 2014
You guys rock, thanks for the help.

Edit: Actually one last thing. I think I'm going to keep Pokki, just want to be sure none of that HKLM stuff under registry could be related to it? I don't know what to make of all that.

Reactions: Oxygen
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You might want to run a 'second opinion scanner' such as HitmanPro in order to be sure that AdwCleaner hasn't missed any particularly stubborn infections.

You can download it here: http://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro_x64.exe

Install it and run a scan, if it finds any infections then just hit Next and when you get to the licensing screen there should be an option to activate the free 30 day license, click that and HitmanPro will remove the infections. If you're all clean then congratulations :D

In order to prevent you getting any more virus infections, I'd recommend you get yourself at least a free anti-virus and firewall to get started. Everybody on here has their personal favourite and will happily lecture you for hours on detection rates and system stability and the likes. In reality there's no right or wrong answer. I'm using Webroot SecureAnywhere at the moment alongside MalwareBytes, and in my browser I've got Adblock, Ghostery (to block trackers etc), and Web of Trust (which tells you if a website is good or bad before you click on it). That set up works fine for me, it's nice and lightweight and doesn't slow me down, but feel free to browse around the forums and see which anti-virus setup seems to suit you best ;)

Hope you punch the lights out of that malware, be sure to let us know how you got on :)

Reactions: zeh0002
Upvote 0

zeh0002

Thread author
Jun 19, 2014
Thanks again for all the help guys. Ran AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes, gunna go for HitmanPro as well. Computer came with Norton on it but that's proved useless it seems... I'll keep using all these, they seem to have taken care of all the problems I can spot. This forum is awesome!

Upvote 0

cgd

May 26, 2014
I cant seem to use Hitman Pro (trial period expired) adw just seems to sit there. Am i doing something wrong?

Upvote 0

Alan Magill

Oct 2, 2014
AdwCleaner is absolutely safe to use, you can choose which items will be removed. What AdwCleaner finds i recommend to remove them all, and what misses you can use Junkware Removal Tool, which is complicated a lot. What AdwCleaner misses, you must uninstall programs that you consider as adware, you can use IObit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller,Geek Uninstaller,Wise Program Uninstaller.These programs are very good in removing programs that wont uninstall properly, which is in most common cases adware.I'm computer technician for 4 years, and i repaired a lot of pc's. If you still have some issues, send me a message in inbox, so i can help via TeamViewer. ;)
Hi Malware Test; just seen your advice re adwcleaner. I used it too and it was brilliant. However it cannot seem to find snapdo.com which pops up as my search engine when I click on Explorer, can you advise a way of getting rid of snapdo,com I see that it is malware. regs
alan . you email me direct at alan.magill@watchover-me.com if that helps and it acceptable in the forum rules.

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

Hi Malware Test; just seen your advice re adwcleaner. I used it too and it was brilliant. However it cannot seem to find snapdo.com which pops up as my search engine when I click on Explorer, can you advise a way of getting rid of snapdo,com I see that it is malware. regs
alan . you email me direct at alan.magill@watchover-me.com if that helps and it acceptable in the forum rules.

Did you tried to run Junkware Removal Tool ?

Reactions: Moose
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.