Troubleshoot Help with some RAM.

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
Yes, I know, asking help for RAM in a malware-removal help forum, but, I asked in 2 sites and they answer too slow, and I remembered the first day I cam here, my fingers hurt from typing so much, and you all were replying to my threads in a flash, so I knew you could help me. Well, here is my PC Config Damcp04's PC if you need it, and this is the RAM I want to buy: https://www.amazon.com/2x2GB-Memory...5974&sr=8-2&keywords=2gb+ram+for+optiplex+780 and there maybe more than one expert here who knows a lot of RAM, and I would like if you guys helped me :) I can leave you some (just really long textfiles [not infected]) files attached here at the end.

And, THANKS so much for helping me!

Attachments

• My PC Report.txt
    61.3 KB · Views: 407
  • DxDiag DAMCPP.txt
    62.6 KB · Views: 550
Reactions: Kuttz and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Use this portable cpuz and give me an image of the tabs called memory and spd.Spd will have more than 1 slots so use the menu at top left to navigate.

DOWNLOADING CPU-Z_1.77-EN.ZIP | CPUID

Also the memory you linked doesn't mentioned voltage but maybe when you link the images we will find ram that works on amazon. Your link memory assuming they don't lie should work though because it mentioned the exact model of your pc.

@rupeshjoshi62 You suggestion is wrong btw. You don't know the voltage of his current ram and you linked a 1.35 and a 1.5V. You can't use ram of different voltage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damcp04
Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
Use this portable cpuz and give me an image of the tabs called memory and spd.Spd will have more than 1 slots so use the menu at top left to navigate.

DOWNLOADING CPU-Z_1.77-EN.ZIP | CPUID

Also the memory you linked doesn't mentioned voltage but maybe when you link the images we will find ram that works on amazon. Your link memory assuming they don't lie should work though because it mentioned the exact model of your pc.

@rupeshjoshi62 You suggestion is wrong btw. You don't know the voltage of his current ram and you linked a 1.35 and a 1.5V. You can't use ram of different voltage.
I have CPU-Z Already, I will show you my already installed RAM:
upload_2016-9-17_8-18-15.png upload_2016-9-17_8-18-32.png upload_2016-9-17_8-18-47.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
Its seems you are looking for DDR3 SDRam, Just one slot 4GB one would do it so, in total you will have 6GB which in enough.

Kingston 4GB Here

Another Good One Here
There is a problem, there are tons of forums that say my PC's max memory is 16GB, which means 4GB per slot because my PC has 4 slots, but tons of others say max is 8GB, which means 2GB per slot. So I prefer going using 2GB per slot because I can be sure it will work.

I already had thought in buying a crucial 4GB but since I read those, I would like to get 2 x 2GB RAM first.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
So you need Ram at 1.5V and 1066Mhz. Faster ram will be ok but remember no reason to pay more because all will run at a lowest speed which is what your current ram is(1066Mhz).
I am sure now that you have all info you can find some ram that list this info. If not i can give a look if i can find something.

Both Hyper X and Crucial That i linked are 1.5V Please check their spec & He is using a 1.5V ram
hyperx one is at 1.35 and probably overclocks when it goes to 1866MHz. It would be ok assuming you know his motherboard bios and what options it gives him. If you know that hyperx uses the voltage of the other rams on all speeds by default without changing anything from bios then i apologize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
So you need Ram at 1.5V and 1066Mhz. Faster ram will be ok but remember no reason to pay more because all will run at a lowest speed which is what your current ram is(1066Mhz).
I am sure now that you have all info you can find some ram that list this info. If not i can give a look if i can find something.

hyperx one is at 1.35 and probably overclocks when it goes to 1866MHz. It would be ok assuming you know his motherboard bios and what options it gives him. If you know that hyperx uses the voltage of the other rams by default without changing anything from bios then i apologize.
My BIOS is Version a14, and many comments say when I upgrade to a15 I will be able to upgrade up to 16GB, so I assume right now my max is 8GB right and my motherboard wont accept up to 16GB until I upgrade to version a15?

And I would thank if you searched one for me!

Reactions: SHvFl
Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
My BIOS is Version a14, and many comments say when I upgrade to a15 I will be able to upgrade up to 16GB, so I assume right now my max is 8GB right and my motherboard wont accept up to 16GB until I upgrade to version a15?
If they say so then yes. If i was you i would upgrade and then find a friend that already has ram i need and try it out or a shop that will trade you different ram if the 16gb limit it's a lie.

Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016

hyperx one is at 1.35 and probably overclocks when it goes to 1866MHz. It would be ok assuming you know his motherboard bios and what options it gives him. If you know that hyperx uses the voltage of the other rams on all speeds by default without changing anything from bios then i apologize.
So going from 2GB to 6GB would make no difference?

If they say so then yes. If i was you i would upgrade and then find a friend that already has ram i need and try it out or a shop that will trade you different ram if the 16gb limit it's a lie.
I have a friend that has a pc like mine, not sure if it is OptiPlex 780 too but he has never upgraded his PC.. Many say "Upgrade your BIOS to a15 before and you will be able to reach a max of 16GB!"

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I have a friend that has a pc like mine, not sure if it is OptiPlex 780 too but he has never upgraded his PC.. Many say "Upgrade your BIOS to a15 before and you will be able to reach a max of 16GB!"
Don't waste your money. Upgrade the bios and then go at a local shop that does repairs. Tell them i need ram and you want to see if it supports the 4gb sticks. They should have some open there to test.
Anything else will be a waste of your money and it's a shame if it actually supports the 4gb sticks and you get 2gb sticks. Now if you want to risk it and believe 4gb rumor is true go with the Crucial memory @rupeshjoshi62 suggested.

Btw ram speed is rather irrelevant number. It doesn't change anything significantly except in apu and integrated graphics for low budget "gaming".

Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
Don't waste your money. Upgrade the bios and then go at a local shop that does repairs. Tell them i need ram and you want to see if it supports the 4gb sticks. They should have some open there to test.
Anything else will be a waste of your money and it's a shame if it actually supports the 4gb sticks and you get 2gb sticks. Now if you want to risk it and believe 4gb rumor is true go with the Crucial memory @rupeshjoshi62 suggested.

Btw ram speed is rather irrelevant number. It doesn't change anything significantly except in apu and integrated graphics for low budget "gaming".
The problem is that in my country we do not have that electronic advantages and it will be impossible to find a memory stick that suits my PC here, I am buying it from amazon because I am going to travel and that's why it would help me, any electronic is very expensive here.

If I buy the 4GB and if it doesn't works, I am risking to loose my money because:

1. It would be extremely hard to find someone that sells appropriate memories for my PC in my country.
2. If there was, surely it is twice the price you buy on USA or the internet.
3. If my PC has an error attempting to upgrade BIOS, I do not have a local repair shop I trust, if I go to one probably is that I attract robbers if they see me crossing the street with a PC, and these "repairers" have the electronic knowledge of a 5 years old and they can even finish killing my PC.

I do not want it for Gaming, I just want more because there is not enough RAM for my apps or even Windows 10, plus the annoying Cortana is there eating my memory, and my mom saying her PC is faster than mine and if she could she could throw it to the window because a turtle is faster (which I really don't understand because it is not that slow)

Upvote 0

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
I didn´t even find A14 Bios at Dells HP for your computer.
But as far as i can see there are issues with more ram´s related to BIOS version. Also i found people who says that only RAM assemled in Phillipines will work. If they are assembled in Korea it´s a no go!
"
We try on that, but for some reason some Optilex 780 Will work not all,

we just figure out the cheapest's problem, if is made in Philippines and it will work

but if it is made in or assembly in Korea or china it will not fit on the machine.

we try about 10 Optliex 780 all the same.

I hope it will help. it does support 8Gb"

If this actually are true or not remains to be seen but in any case you are down to 3 options as i see it:
#1: You take a chance, order ram and try. If fail, upgrade BIOS and hope for the best but are ready to brick your computer (in worst case).
#2: You do not upgrade and risks nothing but have to live with the limitations!
#3: Learn Linux!

Your choice!

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The problem is that in my country we do not have that electronic advantages and it will be impossible to find a memory stick that suits my PC here, I am buying it from amazon because I am going to travel and that's why it would help me, any electronic is very expensive here.

If I buy the 4GB and if it doesn't works, I am risking to loose my money because:

1. It would be extremely hard to find someone that sells appropriate memories for my PC in my country.
2. If there was, surely it is twice the price you buy on USA or the internet.
3. If my PC has an error attempting to upgrade BIOS, I do not have a local repair shop I trust, if I go to one probably is that I attract robbers if they see me crossing the street with a PC, and these "repairers" have the electronic knowledge of a 5 years old and they can even finish killing my PC.

I do not want it for Gaming, I just want more because there is not enough RAM for my apps or even Windows 10, plus the annoying Cortana is there eating my memory, and my mom saying her PC is faster than mine and if she could she could throw it to the window because a turtle is faster (which I really don't understand because it is not that slow)
Then you have to go with those you personally linked that mentioned being compatible with your device. You can ask the seller for the voltage to get some more assurance but it's your safest best.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Times comes when older RAM is really hard to find and/or it's more expensive than modern ones. Try to find 4GB or 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM online. It doesn't matter if your mobo supports 16GB or 8GB as you have been using 2x1GB for awhile without 2 slots being populated, and you probably wouldn't need more than 8GB of RAM.

Your CPU supports 1333Mhz memory speed.
Update your BIOS.
Take out the both RAM Sticks
Put 1x4GB or 2x4GB of new RAM you bought

In any case it would make a system faster with 4GB than the current setup. Consider buying an SSD if you really want a speed improvement

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Looking at your PC specs at 2GB Ram I would imagine it is going to be slow.
You would see a difference with 4 GB of RAM and 8GB of memory would be more than enough with your current PC.
There is absolutely no need for 16GB of RAM since your not gaming and given your current PC if you tried to game you might throw it out the window.
16GB would be absolute overkill.
I skimmed through this but I am still not sure what you want to accomplish but if I were to do a memory upgrade on that machine 6GB & 8GB would be the max.
No amount of memory is going to make that machine lightening fast but 6GB will definitely give you enough memory to perform everyday tasks.
The RAM requirements for Windows 10 are:
1GB for 23 bit
2GB for 64 bit

Personally I would go with 6GB or 8GB of total memory and however you want to accomplish that 2GB x 3 4GB x 2 2GB x 4
All the memory for your machine is fairly inexpensive so however you can do it the cheapest that is what I would do.

Sooner or later a new PC might be a better option if you have the means to get one.

Upvote 0

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
The biggest issue with that machine is the different answers you find online. Dell technincians says 2GB is MAX but on forums you find people running 8GB w/o problems and those who cant get 4GB to work not even after updating BIOS to A15 and then that it´s down to where the rams is assembled....

IMO it´s a gamble whatever the dicision may be unless doing nothing which is ofc a no gamble!

Upvote 0

Damcp04

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 14, 2016
The biggest issue with that machine is the different answers you find online. Dell technincians says 2GB is MAX but on forums you find people running 8GB w/o problems and those who cant get 4GB to work not even after updating BIOS to A15 and then that it´s down to where the rams is assembled....

IMO it´s a gamble whatever the dicision may be unless doing nothing which is ofc a no gamble!
I want to get the 2 x 2GB because if I have 16GB as max or 8GB it will always fit.

Looking at your PC specs at 2GB Ram I would imagine it is going to be slow.
You would see a difference with 4 GB of RAM and 8GB of memory would be more than enough with your current PC.
There is absolutely no need for 16GB of RAM since your not gaming and given your current PC if you tried to game you might throw it out the window.
16GB would be absolute overkill.
I skimmed through this but I am still not sure what you want to accomplish but if I were to do a memory upgrade on that machine 6GB & 8GB would be the max.
No amount of memory is going to make that machine lightening fast but 6GB will definitely give you enough memory to perform everyday tasks.
The RAM requirements for Windows 10 are:
1GB for 23 bit
2GB for 64 bit

Personally I would go with 6GB or 8GB of total memory and however you want to accomplish that 2GB x 3 4GB x 2 2GB x 4
All the memory for your machine is fairly inexpensive so however you can do it the cheapest that is what I would do.

Sooner or later a new PC might be a better option if you have the means to get one.
I want a 2 x 2GB kit to add 4 GB and make 6GB in total, that would be better. Thanks for your reply!

Then you have to go with those you personally linked that mentioned being compatible with your device. You can ask the seller for the voltage to get some more assurance but it's your safest best.
Exactly what I did.

For being sure, I will get the 2 x 2GB kit, so it doesn't matter if my max is 16GB or 8GB, because it will always fit. Thanks for everyones' HUGE help!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.