Advice Request HiBit Uninstaller (HBU)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
On HiBit Uninstaller's list of installed apps, suppose that: (1) I highlight an app that was monitored by HBU when that app was installed, THEN (2) I right-click that hi-lighted app to get a pop-up menu, THEN (3) I click "Uninstall" on that pop-up menu.

QUESTION: Will HBU automatically make use of its monitoring record when uninstalling that app?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reason for my question: Other than the eyeball icon, I have seen no visible indication that HBU uses the record it made during monitoring.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Personally,I have never used the monitoring function in Hibit, but I used that of Revo. I recommend you check the log before uninstallation to make sure nothing important or false positive being removed. In other words, do not blindly trust the monitoring function.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Personally,I have never used the monitoring function in Hibit, but I used that of Revo. I recommend you check the log before uninstallation to make sure nothing important or false positive being removed. In other words, do not blindly trust the monitoring function.
You make a very important point! Last year I uninstalled a financial application with the assistance of HiBit. This application had stored finished work in a created sub directory in Documents. After the initial uninstall routine finished I was presented with the leftovers to be cleaned. Not thinking, I blindly trusted and all of the saved work went- POOF---GONE.

Fortunately I had multiple data backups as otherwise I would have had to hack their website in retaliation.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
You make a very important point! Last year I uninstalled a financial application with the assistance of HiBit. This application had stored finished work in a created sub directory in Documents. After the initial uninstall routine finished I was presented with the leftovers to be cleaned. Not thinking, I blindly trusted and all of the saved work went- POOF---GONE.

Fortunately I had multiple data backups as otherwise I would have had to hack their website in retaliation.
Thankfully, I have always been careful when it comes to uninstallation programmes. I carefully look into logs to see if there is anything important to untick.

Personally I prefer programmes such as Ashampoo uninstaller which allow you to create snapshot before and after installing any programmes. I just compare both snapshot and choose what and what not to delete.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Not thinking, I blindly trusted and all of the saved work went- POOF---GONE.
Over the years this has happened to me on several occasions when my wife asked me questions such as, "Do you like my new dress? " and "Do you notice anything different about my hair?"

@Divine_Barakah -- I shall give Ashampoo's uninstaller a look-see.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
It can monitor installations and it allows you to make system snapshots. If you use it without the aforementioned features, then its leftover detection is not as good as Hibit or Revo.

Ashampoo is safe and I have never encountered any issues with it.

Since it monitors installations by itself, can you say something about the benfit of using the snapshot function, why one should use that. I mean, the program does it, so why should i, the user do it also, or again.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Since it monitors installations by itself, can you say something about the benfit of using the snapshot function, why one should use that. I mean, the program does it, so why should i, the user do it also, or again.
I hope these pictures will give you a better idea of how Ashampoo Snapshots work.

97FCF4CB-E74A-4C60-AAA2-DB137213F4DC.jpegB10CBD4F-3085-49A2-9E65-87C9F4D8E80E.jpeg071C66C8-C6CE-40A1-8143-15792EEDD113.jpeg

Reactions: Sorrento

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Personally I prefer programmes such as Ashampoo uninstaller which allow you to create snapshot before and after installing any programmes. I just compare both snapshot and choose what and what not to delete.
That's what HiBit does too and in my opinion it is a much better uninstaller than Ashampoo's one

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Thankfully, I have always been careful when it comes to uninstallation programmes. I carefully look into logs to see if there is anything important to untick.

Revo Uninstaller Pro also allows installing any program from within it so that it can trace/monitor the installation. During uninstall, traced program feature can be used as well as it lets you create system restore point and full registry backup. So are these features different from what Ashampoo provides or even Hibit?

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Today for 3 hours I had the opportunity to test Ashampoo Uninstaller 11. In my opinion, the program bloated, does not detect all leftovers, for example, leaves empty directories after removing the monitored program.
Such a combo. This is not what I mean by this topic.
With Ashampoo Uninstaller HiBit seems a small program but powerful in action and for free.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Revo Uninstaller Pro also allows installing any program from within it so that it can trace/monitor the installation. During uninstall, traced program feature can be used as well as it lets you create system restore point and full registry backup. So are these features different from what Ashampoo provides or even Hibit?
Revo is great, but I am not willing to pay for it. If you’re happy with it, keep using it.

The point is you ahould not blindly trust the uninstaller and you need to go through the logs no matter what UnInstaller you’re using.

I do not use monitoring feature, and I prefer Ashampoo Snapshots. I do not need automatation, but I need to be %100 sure that what I am deleting is safe to be deleted.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Today for 3 hours I had the opportunity to test Ashampoo Uninstaller 11. In my opinion, the program bloated, does not detect all leftovers, for example, leaves empty directories after removing the monitored program.
Such a combo. This is not what I mean by this topic.
With Ashampoo Uninstaller HiBit seems a small program but powerful in action and for free.
Yes, I do agree that Ashampoo is bloated (registry cleaner and blah blah), but I never used any of those features as I am using Kerish.

Regarding leftovers detection, yes Hibit is superior, but detecting more is not usually a good thing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.