Q&A Hide.me VPN

n8chavez

Level 9
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Hide.me is an interesting VPN I saw mentioned @ vpntierlist.com. I was wondering if anyone else has tried it, or what their thoughts are about it. I've been trying it because, well, why not? There seem to be a lot to like about it, such as:
  • Wireguard-ready
  • auto re-connect
  • Killswitches
  • Block all connects if the vpn drop
  • Script capable, to kill apps should connection drop
  • Split Tunneling
  • Custom DNS servers
  • P2P friendly
  • streaming-enabled servers
  • Socks5 support
  • The ability to tie a socks5 to the VPN (which is something I've only ever seen in Mullvad)
  • Jurisdiction in the Malaysia, where it is illegal to export/share data outside the country
  • Strict no-logs policy
  • Double-hop
  • Audited by DefenseCode
It does have a highly-configurable GUI, but it looks a bit outdated. But, it seems good. Thoughts?

Discount here.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 9
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I went ahead and got a 2 year deal, because I like what I saw in terms of it's privacy features and jurisdiction, and socks5 to vpn. I was able to find an even better discount than the one above, see here.

Reactions: Nevi and amirr

amirr

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I currently use Mullvad and between Mullvad and Hide.me, you told me for me Mullvad is enough, since I don't use "Custom DNS servers", right?

Reactions: Sorrento

n8chavez

Level 9
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I currently use Mullvad and between Mullvad and Hide.me, you told me for me Mullvad is enough, since I don't use "Custom DNS servers", right?
Correct. But what does "enough" mean? Mullvad is great. It's one of the most respected VPNs there is. That being said, I use hide.me. Look at what hide.me offers, in my first post in this thread. Mullvad does not offer all of that; like being abler to run a script on disconnect. I got hide.me for 39 months for roughly $100 USD. Mullvad charges about $6.50 USD per month. The math says hide.me is the way to go, all else being equal. Mullvad is $6.50 per moth whereas hide.me is about $2.55.

However, either one is a great choice. I just feel like hide.me is a bit better for me.

n8chavez

Level 9
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Just in case anyone wanted to try hide.me, they offer a really good Easter deal (here). 39 months for $95 USD. I like it, and they take privacy very seriously.