Troubleshoot High CPu usage by Malwarebytes 2.2.1 1043

loulou815

Thread author
Feb 16, 2017
Hi,
thank you for reading my problem. the thing is that i just installed windows 10. previously , i was under windows 7 (32 bits ). So installed also avast and malwarebytes 2.2.1 1043. But the problem is the klast cited, malwarebytes uses a lot of my CPU, i don't understand why. In my task manager, i see 4 process named " Mlawarebytes anti-malware ( 32 bits ) ". One of them use almost 33 % of my cpu while the others ( the 3 left ) uses each of them 0 %... After malwarebytes, the program using most CPU is chrome with 8 tab open running with only 2.2 % of my CPU...

Thank you for helping me. I'm waiting for your advises.

Ps : First of all, is it normal to have 4 malwarebytes process running ? Second, why are they running under 32 bits while i'm under windows 10 64 bits ?

loulou815

Thread author
Feb 16, 2017
thank you for your answer but don't you know how to deal with this on this version particularly because i din't find any one with those problems before. And could you please answer my 2 questions above ? than you

Upvote 0

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
thank you for your answer but don't you know how to deal with this on this version particularly because i din't find any one with those problems before. And could you please answer my 2 questions above ? than you
Many software create 32-bit processes on Windows x64.
32-bit application on Win64 run in a subsystem called WOW64 (Windows On Windows), designed for compatibility with 32-bit applications.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I see that you already have Avast Antivirus installed, but see if you can answer the following:
  1. How did you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 - Upgrade or Clean installation?
  2. Did you previously have other security install on Windows 7 before switching to Windows 10?
  3. Are you using the Free or Premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.2?
If you upgraded to Windows 10, I would Reset Windows 10 keeping Personal files. All software installed in Program Files will be lost, including licensed applications. It's always better to start afresh when upgrading to major versions. Your personal documents are not affected, but as a precaution make a backup to local medium or online (in the cloud).

If you had Avast and Malwarebytes on Windows 7, did you uninstall both before upgrading? I would again, recommend resetting Windows 10.

Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that potentially can conflict with other scanners, so I therefore recommend adding exclusions to both Avast and Malwarebytes. More information can be found in the product's help file, or ask a member here to assist.

My knowledge is limited, but I think Malwarebytes Free installs a background service to run (yes) in the background for various reasons unknown to myself. I do not think they have a Portable version, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Winter Soldier
Upvote 0

loulou815

Thread author
Feb 16, 2017
Thank you for your help. i will answer your questions
1. Clean version of windows 10 therfore no program left from program files.
2. Yes on Windows 7, i had avast and malwarebytes.
3. I'm using the premium version of malwarebytes.

So what do you think ? and again, is it normal that i have 4 malwarebytes process in my task manager with one using 35 % of my CPU ? :(

i will try excluding avast from malwarebytes then.

Reactions: Fritz
Upvote 0

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
What order did you install them in? First Avast, then MBAM?

Also, to be more specific, I'd recommend to exclude the respective folders, not just the executables.

Upvote 0

loulou815

Thread author
Feb 16, 2017
i excluded the folders not only the specific executables. I installed Avast first then malwarebytes. but i got problem so i uninstall it totally then installed it again , then i got this high cpu use problem

Upvote 0

loulou815

Thread author
Feb 16, 2017
the 3 process running are : mbam.exe using up to 35 % CPU, mbamscheduler.exe using 0% CPU and mbamservice using 0 % CPu but 366 mb of my memory...

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.