Advice Request High VPN Data Usage

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I was checking my data usage yesterday to find out that my VPN is using too much data! I usually use it when I'm browsing with a little tiny bit of watching youtube videos. Is it related? or is my VPN simply using too much data on its own? How much data does your VPN use?

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
It's not the VPN but all the services in your system that will use the VPN to send a receive data, see the example below and this is one service, you have a lot off services running in your background:

1614088591453.png

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I was checking my data usage yesterday to find out that my VPN is using too much data! I usually use it when I'm browsing with a little tiny bit of watching youtube videos. Is it related? or is my VPN simply using too much data on its own? How much data does your VPN use?
Are you using Bitdefenders or Windscribes VPN service and if so, the default restricted one or their Premium/Pro?

Personal I never need to care as I'm not on a so called restricted data VPN service. F-Secure Freedome.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Are you using Bitdefenders or Windscribes VPN service and if so, the default restricted one or their Premium/Pro?

Personal I never need to care as I'm not on a so called restricted data VPN service. F-Secure Freedome.
I've been using Seed4.Me for a month and as I was checking my WiFi data usage I found 11GB of data that were used by the VPN. But I believe what @Freud2004 and @CyberTech is true. It's not the VPN that is consuming data, it's the browsing, windows and apps updates that are doing this when my VPN is on. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.