Advice Request Highest compatibility privacy extention for Chromium based browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
High,

With compatibility I mean how well does the privacy extension does it job in blocking trackers (and ads), while not limiting the browsing experience by showing content (not running into adblocker pop-ups or not playing video content).

This is the top three I found, but I would love to hear other suggestions (backed up by your personal positive experience).

1. Privacy badger
Maybe Privacy Badger does a great job and I am to much brainwashed with adservers tracking you all the time FUD stories. In my testing Privacy Badger offers the highest compatibility level, but it also 'feels' as though it blocks near to zero trackers. So although it is the extension with best compatibility it also feels as the option with the least blocking capability.

2. Combo of Ghostery and Google analytics opt-out
To much websites block their video content when Google analystics is blocked (which is blocked by Ghostery). So by allowing Google analytics and installingg Google analytics opt-out (from Google), you obtain great compatibility while privacy is good also. Ghostery's questionable connections also make sure it is really geared towards average users and does a great job when taking both compatibility and privacy into account.

3. uBlock origin
uBlock has an experimental filter in which it redirects Google analytics requests. This redirect option bypasses most of the website which use Google analytics to show or hide video content. uBlock0 has an unbreak filter which corrects some site breakage due to filters blocking to much. By using the filters below the 'adblock wall' pop-ups are kept to a minimum. The best functionality/compatibility combination of filters are (deselect all others and select only the ones below):
1. Disconnect's malvertising filters (contain's Peter's Low lists)
2. Adguard's privacy list (you have to add it yourself, it contains a sanitized easylist privacy list)
3. uBlock's own unbreak and experimental list

Note: I always enable Google's safe browsing and this simply makes all community maintained malware lists redundant (the only extra they have is from 'dead wood' old entries)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Last edited:

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I am using umatrix, ublock origin with scriptsafe
they are tweaked to work together
umatrix as script blocker
ublock origin as adblocker
scriptsafe as fingerprint protection

I have flash plugin disabled to enforce video player to use html5

of course some sites require little tweaking to work, the popular ones usually need only one third party permit (+ ajaxgoogleapis.com) in umatrix

there are several sites that allows you check if ads and tracker are blocked, just type in google adblock test

also it's very hard to allow 1st party scripts without avoiding adblocker detection, fortunately many sites are using simple detection so you can bypass them with some antiadblocker or redirect filters
below are some test sites that can detect/test adblocker:
panopticlick.eff.org
codepo8.github.io/detecting-adblock/
www.detectadblock.com/
raymondhill.net/ublock/tiles1.html
browserleaks.com/proxy

Reactions: Dirk41

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@all thanks,

The options suggested are all good, but they impact the web experience because video content is blocked also. I was asking the question, because most "adblock, noscript" also block 'content' that people want to see. I should have made it clear that I am testing what option works best for average Joe/Jane pc user, not the provacy/security educated websurfer which visits MalwareTips forum.

At the moment option 2 provides less hassle of web content not being displayed while protecting privacy (so I have that on my wife's laptop). It is nicely explained on the website Ozone posted above to check adblocker detection (why allowing google analytics + google's opt-out shows all content in 95% of the websites).

upload_2017-1-22_15-6-45.png

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
To much dead wood (obsolete entries of dead websites). Adguards privacy filter with half the rules is as effective as privacy list for my region/surf habits
Are the replacements Adguard Spyware and Social Media or just one of them? Why replace Peter Lowe's with the bigger list?
Now I'm curious to see what were the complaints Adguard fixed using their own filter lists in Easylist and EasyPrivacy

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
in that case I would use
ublock origin with ublock and disconnect malware filters
Stealth Mode (Adguard)
+ optional scripsafe (in allow mode with "Block Unwanted Content" enabled)

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Peter Low's list is probably the best condensed list available of the public available lists. Malvertising list of Disconnect is Peter Low's list plus 2 to 3 thousend latest malvertising websites. So I agree this is arguable (Peter Low plus Google Safe browsing probably do as well).

in that case I would use
ublock origin with ublock and malware domain filters
Stealth Mode (Adguard)

Malware domain add so little extra protection over Google Safe browsing IMO and it has the problem which all community maintained list suffer. The community adds new entries, but does not remove them, so they contain a lot of dead website references.

Last edited by a moderator:

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Malware domain add so little extra protection over Google Safe browsing IMO and it has the problem which all community maintained list suffer. The community adds new entries, but does not remove them, so they contain a lot of dead website references.

you're right I should be more specific I mean
ublock origin with ublock and disconnect filters from malware domains section

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
in that case I would use
Stealth Mode (Adguard)

The key is to use as few extensions as you can I use Adguard (in stealth mode) with the following filters;

English Filter
Spyware Filter
Social Media Filter
Annoyances Filter
EasyPrivacy Filter
Peter Lowes List Filter

And no Ublock Origin

Just Privacy Badger and HTTPS everywhere

I have been running this setup for a while now with zero problems

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
in that case I would use
Stealth Mode (Adguard)
Isn't unwanted content in Scriptsafe just community list that can just be checked in ublock? Adding that would probably just add unnecessary overhead.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Because there are no a zillion adservers in the world and Peter Low's covers most (at least for me in Europe also surfing to US websites)
What about AdAway?
Also, do you use Easylist/Adguard English for cosmetic filtering? And how does the addition of either affect your choice of using Peter Lowe's or equivalent?
How does EasyPrivacy/Adguard Spyware compare to Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List? Fanboy's seem to be even smaller than Spyware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.