Advice Request Highest compatibility privacy extention for Chromium based browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
High,

With compatibility I mean how well does the privacy extension does it job in blocking trackers (and ads), while not limiting the browsing experience by showing content (not running into adblocker pop-ups or not playing video content).

This is the top three I found, but I would love to hear other suggestions (backed up by your personal positive experience).

1. Privacy badger
Maybe Privacy Badger does a great job and I am to much brainwashed with adservers tracking you all the time FUD stories. In my testing Privacy Badger offers the highest compatibility level, but it also 'feels' as though it blocks near to zero trackers. So although it is the extension with best compatibility it also feels as the option with the least blocking capability.

2. Combo of Ghostery and Google analytics opt-out
To much websites block their video content when Google analystics is blocked (which is blocked by Ghostery). So by allowing Google analytics and installingg Google analytics opt-out (from Google), you obtain great compatibility while privacy is good also. Ghostery's questionable connections also make sure it is really geared towards average users and does a great job when taking both compatibility and privacy into account.

3. uBlock origin
uBlock has an experimental filter in which it redirects Google analytics requests. This redirect option bypasses most of the website which use Google analytics to show or hide video content. uBlock0 has an unbreak filter which corrects some site breakage due to filters blocking to much. By using the filters below the 'adblock wall' pop-ups are kept to a minimum. The best functionality/compatibility combination of filters are (deselect all others and select only the ones below):
1. Disconnect's malvertising filters (contain's Peter's Low lists)
2. Adguard's privacy list (you have to add it yourself, it contains a sanitized easylist privacy list)
3. uBlock's own unbreak and experimental list

Note: I always enable Google's safe browsing and this simply makes all community maintained malware lists redundant (the only extra they have is from 'dead wood' old entries)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Yes it got 9x as much rules :) with my surfing behavior not much more blocked (and no adblock walls), so fo rme a better list, but mileage may vary depending on surfing behavior. I am now using AVIRA safe surfing (nromal profile) and in my inprivate user profile using Script Blocker for Chrome (blocking third-party and some obviious regex blockrules [.*(ads|log|tag|click|score|track|banner|beacon|affiliate|analyst|audience).*]

Last edited:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Snowden’s Favorite Ad Blocker Can Now Automatically Detect New Tracking Scripts
But the problem is some scripts are necessary to execute desired functions of a webpage, like playing videos properly. Smart Mode is designed to maximize privacy while not preventing you from experiencing the features of a website. “Smart Blocking first enforces a speed requirement on websites by blocking any trackers that slow a website’s load time beyond five seconds,” Tillman said. Smart Mode also “preemptively unblocks trackers that are at a high-risk of breaking a website if blocked.”

Smart Mode was designed “specifically for novice users that need help deciding what to block and unblock,” Tillman said. “Given that there are thousands of tracking technologies out there, it can be overwhelming trying to customize one’s own blocking settings.”

Browse Smarter with Ghostery 8 - Ghostery
What’s new in Ghostery 8?
  • Enhanced Antitracking
  • Enhanced Adblocking
  • Smart Blocking
  • Simplified Setup
  • Simple View
  • New Default Settings
  • Expanded Detail View
  • Snooze feature for Pause
Ghostery 8 is the first tool in the world that combines the best of blocklist and AI-powered antitracking technologies. Our new Enhanced Antitracking Protection uses a heuristic approach developed by our parent company, Cliqz, to dynamically detect trackers in real-time and overwrite any uniquely identifying data points being passed to a third party, even for trackers that aren’t caught by our traditional blocklist. The combination of these two technologies means that Ghostery provides the most comprehensive privacy protection in the world. To go a step further, Ghostery 8 also includes an Enhanced Adblocker that supplements our tracker blocking with filter lists that are intended to block any ads that would otherwise slip through.

A primary goal we had with Ghostery 8 was to make it easier to use for the average person. To accomplish this, we did four things. First, we simplified the setup so that it’s easier to customize Ghostery. Second, we added a Simple View to our extension so that beginners don’t get overwhelmed by a laundry list of trackers. Third, we added a Smart Blocking feature that automatically blocks and unblocks trackers to speed up websites and minimize page breakage. Finally, Ghostery 8 includes default settings that turn Enhanced Antitracking, Enhanced Adblocking, and Smart Blocking on by default, immediately delivering a cleaner, faster, and safer browsing experience to all users.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I am using Chrome's settings page to block Javascript by default unless the top level domain is one of the popular ones I listed and HTTPS through port 443.

I also recommend Decentraleyes or Local CDN to prefer your cache for loading frequently used content, scripts etc.
Chrome Web Store

If you do, make sure to configure it to be compatible with HTTPS Everywhere or you will run into trouble.
Decentraleyes | Configure HTTPS Everywhere

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.