HitmanPro.Alert 3 version 3.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
HitmanPro.Alert version 3 introduces Exploit Mitigations, of which its hardware-assisted Control-Flow Integrity (CFI) technology is perhaps its most striking feature.CFI is a technique to prevent flow of control not intended by the original application, without requiring the source code or debug symbols of the protected application. With CFI, HitmanPro.Alert 3 effectively stops attackers that hijack control-flow to combine short pieces of benign code, already present in a system, for a malicious purpose; a so-called return-oriented programming (ROP) attack. This capability is achieved by programming and leveraging a hardware feature in modern Intel® Core™ processors to track code execution and assist in the detection of attacks in real-time – an industry-first method not found in any other security product.

Besides a performance advantage, employing hardware traced records has a security benefit over software stack-based approaches. Stack-based solutions, like Microsoft EMET, rely on stack data, which is (especially in case of a ROP attack) in control of the attacker.

Cybercriminals and hackers are becoming increasingly more proficient in finding and attacking previously unknown vulnerabilities to bypass antivirus software as well as memory protections (DEP+ASLR) to silently infiltrate computers. Well known cases that led to the discovery of zero-day attacks, like Operation SnowMan[1], GreedyWonk[2] and Clandestine Fox[3] (all uncovered by security firm FireEye), show that attackers are adept in creating malware (shellcode) by borrowing instructions from legitimate applications running on the victim computer – a ROP attack. Antivirus software is not designed to block this as there are no malicious processes or files involved. HitmanPro.Alert version 3 is built to stop existing and future attacks whether they are conducted by exploit kits or (foreign) nation-state hackers, without requiring prior knowledge of attacks or abused vulnerabilities.

Besides Exploit Mitigations, HitmanPro.Alert 3 also offers Application Lockdown, which prevents abuse of logic-flaw vulnerabilities and stops macros in Office documents from hoisting in malware. It also protects business environments that are bound to run outdated software, including Java-based company applications.

HitmanPro.Alert 3 also offers Man-in-the-Browser Intruder Detection (Safe Browsing), Cryptolocker Protection (CryptoGuard), System Vaccination, Webcam Notifier, Keystroke Encryption, BadUSB Protection and our acclaimed HitmanPro on-demand forensics-based Anti-Malware. Together they aim to disrupt the Cyber Attack Life-Cycle:

cyber_attack_life_cycle_png_245744.png

DOWNLOAD
The file hmpalert.exe inside the ZIP archive installs the software and requires just 5 MB of free disk space. It runs on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

The ZIP archive also contains version 1.4 of our Exploit Test Tool which contains 27 tests to check a pc’s security posture or verify the correct working of HitmanPro.Alert. The exploit techniques performed by the Exploit Test Tool are not malicious and safe to use.

• Install-and-Forget Signature-less protection suitable for Home Users, Power Users and IT Professionals
  • Exploit Mitigations (Anti-Exploit) Aims to stop attackers from exploiting software vulnerabilities
  • Fine-grained Exploit Mitigation Settings Allows experienced computer users to change individual mitigations, per application
  • On-demand Malware Detection and Remediation Integrated Anti-Malware scanner
  • BadUSB Protection Blocks malicious USB devices that pose as a keyboard
  • Safe Browsing (Man-in-the-Browser Detection) Warns when malware manipulates the browser; behavior-based
  • Active Vaccination Makes sandbox-aware malware self-terminate
  • CryptoGuard Protects your data against CryptoLocker, CryptoWall, TorrentLocker, OphionLocker, CoinVault and variants; behavior-based
  • Webcam Notifier Blocks the webcam when it is (secretly) accessed
  • Keystroke Encryption Protects credentials against keyloggers in the browser
  • Hollow Process Protection Protects the main executable of a process against unmapping
  • Network Lockdown Helps to stop attacks that connect back to command-and-control
  • Full 64-bit Support Offers 64-bit applications same protection as 32-bit applications
  • Software Radar Automatically protects new browsers, plug-ins, media and office applications
  • Easy-to-Use High DPI User Interface Suitable for Home Users, Power Users and IT Pros
  • Advanced Exploit Reporting Logs advanced technical data for forensic threat analysis
  • Multilingual User Interface English, Chinese (Simplied), Chinese (Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
  • Antivirus Compatible Runs alongside third-party antivirus or internet security software

• SEHOP Stops abuse of the structured exception handler
  • Stack Pivot Stops abuse of the stack pointer
  • Stack Exec Stops attacker's code on the stack
  • Software Stack-based Anti-ROP Stops return-oriented programming (ROP) attacks (part of Control-Flow Integrity)
  • Hardware-assisted Branch-based Anti-ROP Programs microprocessor to stop ROP attacks (part of Control-Flow Integrity)
  • Import Address Table Filtering (IAF) Prevents attackers from snooping function addresses (part of Control-Flow Integrity)
  • Caller Check Stops processes called from attacker-controlled memory (part of Control-Flow Integrity)
  • Load Library Stops modules that load from insecure network paths
  • Application Lockdown Prevents abuse of logic flaws and stops attacks that bypass mitigations (incl. Office macros)

• Enforce DEP Prevents abuse of buffer overflows
  • Mandatory ASLR Prevents predictable code locations
  • Pseudo ASLR for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Prevents predictable code locations of modules on legacy Windows (part of Mandatory ASLR)
  • Bottom Up ASLR Improves code location randomization (ASLR)
  • Null Page Stops exploits that jump via page 0
  • Heap Spray Pre-Allocation Stops attacks that start via common memory addresses on the heap (part of Dynamic Heap Spray)
  • Dynamic Heap Spray Stops exploits that start via the heap; behavior-based

Install.png

UI_Simplified.png

UI_Advanced.png

Your_applications.png

Exploit_Mitigations.png

Bad_USB.png

Source: Post #3199

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
HitmanPro.Alert 3.0.23 Build 137 Release Candidate
  • Added additional APIs to IAF mitigations.
  • Added Reset Settings menu item (via gear icon next to the minimize button).
  • Added English names of the supported languages.
  • Added ability to disable Window Border (see notifier menu).
  • Improved CryptoGuard handling of alternate data streams.
  • Improved performance of IAF mitigation.
  • Fixed CryptoGuard false positives regarding handling of unpackers like Steam.
  • Fixed keystroke encryption indicator in IE11 Enhanced Protected Mode.
  • Fixed scrolling issue in IE11 Enhanced Protected Mode.
  • Fixed stack alignment issue on 64-bit trampolines.
  • Several other minor improvements.

Download link: http://test.hitmanpro.com/hmpalert3b137.exe

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have HitmanPro.Alert 2 installed on one PC, will it automatically upgrade to version 3 or will I be required to manually update?

Also HMP.Alert 3 requires a license for some feature, would it suitable to stay with version 2?

Reactions: tonibalas

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
I have HitmanPro.Alert 2 installed on one PC, will it automatically upgrade to version 3 or will I be required to manually update?

Also HMP.Alert 3 requires a license for some feature, would it suitable to stay with version 2?
Alert 2 eventually will be upgraded to version 3.
All features in Alert 2 are in Alert 3 and do not require a license.
Only some new features (like Exploit Mitigation,Active Vaccination) require a license.
Other features like Webcam Notifier, Keystroke Encryption, CryptoGuard v2 and BadUSB are new and are free.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jay Mailin

Jan 23, 2015
I have read that HitmanPro.alert's cryptoguard is effective again Cryptolocker but there's a new one now called Crytowall 2.0 and one of my associate's was just hit with it recently. Does HitmanPro.alert 2 block cryptowall 2.0, or have you see anything that indicates that version 3 will stop it from encrypting?

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
I have read that HitmanPro.alert's cryptoguard is effective again Cryptolocker but there's a new one now called Crytowall 2.0 and one of my associate's was just hit with it recently. Does HitmanPro.alert 2 block cryptowall 2.0, or have you see anything that indicates that version 3 will stop it from encrypting?
The CryptoGuard technology in HitmanPro.Alert will immediately block any process that tries to take your data hostage and rollback its changes. CryptoGuard in HitmanPro.Alert 3 is full aware of CryptoWall 2.0.FYI,The CryptoGuard feature is available even for users of HMPA Free Version 3.:D

No point thinking about v2,since v3 has a lot of features and enhancements even with the free version.:p

Last edited:

Jay Mailin

Jan 23, 2015
The CryptoGuard technology in HitmanPro.Alert will immediately block any process that tries to take your data hostage and rollback its changes. CryptoGuard in HitmanPro.Alert 3 is full aware of CryptoWall 2.0.FYI,The CryptoGuard feature is available even for users of HMPA Free Version 3.:D

No point thinking about v2,since v3 has a lot of features and enhancements even with the free version.:p
Thank you!

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
So.....I installed both Hitman Pro.Alert 3 and Malware Bytes Anti-Exploit.Has no one experienced any conflicts in this setup?

AE is running out of it's trial period,though.Love how HMPA3 runs your browser in "Virtual/Sandbox" Mode....:cool::D

Welldone

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 29, 2012
So.....I installed both Hitman Pro.Alert 3 and Malware Bytes Anti-Exploit.Has no one experienced any conflicts in this setup?

AE is running out of it's trial period,though.Love how HMPA3 runs your browser in "Virtual/Sandbox" Mode....:cool::D

Previous and current build version 141 are compatible with MBAE.I run both myself to test compatibility because (1) to see if running both does not burn down the house and (2) because I know you guys like to run tools on top of each other.

That said, I do not recommend running multiple anti-exploit tools concurrently because it just does not make sense.
That is HMPA developer's view on using both HMPA and MBAE together :)

BTW what is AE?:D

Last edited:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks,Welldone.

I'm just trying different products ever since I discovered MT.Also,the 5mb footprint was enticing enough to try them both at same time for little while....

I really need to build me a beast rig to virtualize some stations STAT.My obsession with security is getting out of control....:eek:

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
One question,though...

I know the product is in development(Since 2012!....The dedication.O_O) but if I buy a HMP license,will I have access to it?

I've read on the developers' forum that running an anti-keylogger can cause problems.Haven't had that with Zemana AL Pro,as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.