Advice Request How can I keep cookies for specific sites when I close Microsoft Edge?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
As it says on Microsoft Edge Canary allows to keep cookies for specific sites when you close the browser

But when I clear the history of Edge ( not the cookies) it deletes the Allow list. Anyone having the same issue?
Here are my settings:
1592459321077.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thank you,SMG, I did uncheck it. Also in edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose
Site permissions are turned off.
View attachment 242940
I think you have to add those sites where you want to keep your data in Site permissions / Cookies and site data at Allow:
You've allowed the following sites to save and read cookies on your device. Cookies for these sites won't be cleared when you exit the browser.
Aantekening 2020-06-18 160906.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I already added.
Found it:
Go to edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose
At Cookies and other site data you have the option to add the sites.
Uncheck Site permissions or those sites will be cleared.
See screenshot where I added 4 sites (and under site permissions you also see 4 sites).
This works for me with Edge Stable.
Aantekening 2020-06-18 165021.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I added in another format, I deleted the [*.] and just put the URL. Is that a big deal?
View attachment 242990
That also works, but with for example for Wilders Security Forums wilderssecurity.com didn't work.
www.wilderssecurity.com works and [*.]wilderssecurity.com works.
malwaretips.com works and [*.]malwaretips.com works.
So, it depends on the website?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That also works, but with for example for Wilders Security Forums wilderssecurity.com didn't work.
www.wilderssecurity.com works and [*.]wilderssecurity.com works.
malwaretips.com works and [*.]malwaretips.com works.
So, it depends on the website?
I visit the site and check in "See all cookies and site data" which cookie has been set and use that. This has worked well on the few cookies I save, without using wildcards.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.