Advice Request How do I remove these folders after uninstalling Kaspersky Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There is a bug in the uninstallation process of Kaspersky Free and Uninstall tool is no help (even when running in safe mode, probably because it doesn't support the newer versions after 2021).
1691328885576.png

These folders are still present inside windows:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Kaspersky.ShellEx_1.0.0.1_x64__xxx38dcbex2km
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages\Kaspersky.ShellEx_1.0.0.1_x64__xxx38dcbex2km

I can't delete them manually even in safe mode and uninstaller doesn't delete them either. How do I clean install Kaspersky Free?

Context: I had a missing context scan options while using Kaspersky Free 2023 (v21.14.5.462), clean install was suggested but it appears it's not uninstalling properly.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
Just install Iobit unlocker :

check option forced mode on the left side of the ulocker gui and then select the unlock and delete option. hope this works for you :)

did you allready tried the official kaspersky uninstaller tool?

youi can scan your system even further with Everything from voidtools , for leftover files and program folders , to ensure that all files are gone.

Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I try to avoid deleting program files manually, but I guess I have to do it now.
Me too, but sometimes it's necessary. Whenever I have issues with uninstallation, I always check Program files folder, then %appdata% (all three folders Roaming, Local and LocalLow), and last, %programdata%. After that, I search registry for leftover keys using search function, but before deleting them, I always make backup. And the last step is running Autoruns to see if uninstalled software left some services/drivers. If it did, I delete those too.

I've been using this method for years, whenever classic uninstallation failed, and it never cause me any issues.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You may try LockHunter. It's free and there is a portable version, so you don't have to install it.
LockHunter deleted all files, but one folder still remains. Can't delete it for some reason, it's not locked.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages\Kaspersky.ShellEx_1.0.0.3_x64__xxx38dcbex2km

Edit: nvm ran LockHunter once more and it deleted the folder this time with another restart.

Upvote 0

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Deleted some registry entry for Kaspersky as well. After doing all that the original issue "Missing Context Menu scan" still remains 🤣🤣

Update: Fixed after a reboot. 👍 Thanks @Marko :) @Brahman and others :)
Yes, context menu entries are actually located in the registry. Every time some software adds something to context menu, it really just added it using registry where it created a some key(s). That's why is always a good idea for advanced users to check the registry after uninstallation. Or, just use uninstaller like Revo which will do a job for you.

Glad I could help! 😉

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
curious to ask what didn't you like about kaspersky?
That it leaves so many files/folder/registry after uninstalling. Their forum is useless, their uninstaller is useless (it doesn't support latest free version). No way to disable notifications for "news".

and what product are you going to?
Still using Kaspersky free. Was only trying to clean install it because context menu scan option was missing.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.