Advice Request How do I test that uBlock Origin and Nano Defender are working correctly?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I usually just test it on a site that I'm familiar with.

Things to lookout for:

Do your ad block settings...
  • Interfere with video playback? Sometimes embedded videos (that are not ads) can be blocked unintentionally.
  • Block comment sections? I like reading comments/discussions on articles so I make sure the comment systems aren't blocked. The Disqus comments system is a common example that might be blocked with some ad block filters (especially those geared towards blocking social media sites like Facebook comments or Twitter replies).
  • Interfere with drop down menus or widgets on the site? Depending on how the site is made, some areas of the site may not be functional.
There are some sites that claim they test if your ad block is working properly. However, I've found them to not be reliable.
It's best to just test on sites that you usually browse/are familiar with because you know what the site looked originally and will be able to notice any changes.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Most if not all Future plc websites use some sort of anti-adblocker mechanism. You can use them to test it. If your uBO+Nano Defender are misconfigured, bugged, etc you'll be redirected to a warning page like in the screenshot below.
1595334716307.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.