Advice Request How do you remove YT ads and google consent cookies options with UBo?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi,
Since a few days, I got on google.com, this damned google consent for cookies options windows appearing and I can't remove with UBO in firefox.

I tried different filters lists and also tried with the zapper mode and picker mode without success.

The same with Youtube ads, I can't remove them. I really appreciated your help to fix theses issues. Thanks !

Attachments

• google.png
    google.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 623
  • filter list.png
    filter list.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
OKay its is good to have an alternative when you are on Firefox, thank you for mentioning this solution. Downside is that I have to add a another extension (add-on) to run user scripts (like tampermonkey or greasemonkey) and there are some doubts about running user scripts ("Firefox add-on lets surfers tweak sites, but is it safe?").
That's also temporary solution because apparently I don't care about cookies extension will have implement fix for both, Google and YouTube. I know it's better to have smaller number of extensions (I prefer that as well), but until we get updated I don't care about cookies extension, we should at least use effective solution instead constantly writing new set of rules.

I don't want to scare you but browser extensions are kind of user scripts. So, the ad block you're using is user script which prevents loading of certain elements. As you know, there are many extensions that are safe to use. But on the other side, there are malicious extensions which show you ads, track you and even steal your browsing history. Same is with user scripts; there are numerous ones that are safe to use, and there are some malicious. The giant pro of user script websites is that they let you see the code before installing any of them. There are comments section and change log so you can easily see what has changed.

The script I'm recommending is safe; I use it and before I had installed it, I checked the code. All it does is inject some dumb cookie before Google/YouTube loads so it thinks you declined the offer and let's you browse in peace. User script is also made to run only on Google and YouTube domains and is designed to remove sign in pop-up as well. Anyone having any doubts can check the code and references.

Now, regarding user script managers, I'd recommend Violentmonkey because it's open source and it doesn't collect any data. None.
I have not ran into website functionality breaking, so I will stick to blocking cookies in the browser.

Do you know which websites break when blocking the consent cookies of Google?
I haven't used the Google one, but YouTube's for sure breaks comments and menus. Like, sometimes it won't show comments at all, sometimes will show the main comments, but won't replies.
From what I have seen online, Google one breaks something in Google Maps and potentially some other Google products.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I don't want to scare you but browser extensions are kind of user scripts.
Yes, but with the restriction of using api's and browser limitations as opposed to plain script injection into every website. So same-same but very different :)

I know a respected member of this forum like you would only recommend safe scripts, apologize when my post worded or suggested differently.

Last edited:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Yes, but with the restriction of using api's and browser limitations as opposed to plain script injection into every website. So same-same but very different :)

I know a respected member of this forum like you would only recommend safe scripts, apologize when my post worded or suggested differently.
Honestly, I consider malicious browser extensions more harmful than malicious user scripts.

Reason? User scripts are usually written for a single website. Browser extensions are usually written for entire browser. That basically means user script will have access to one particular website, while browser extensions will have access to every website you visit and browser itself. And, honestly, I've never seen malicious user script, but I did see a lot of malicious browser extensions.
Nothing to apologize for. 😉

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I can't understand why all the over wilders and MalwareTips people are talking about this consent cookie stuff on firefox, up to now i have not seen it and all my filters for ublock and umatrix are the same, and I'm signed in, take a look below and see:

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    831.9 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Once my filters are working i don't change them for anyone don't care what is new what just came out what optimized from what isn't, a rolling stone gathers no moss.
Don't even get pop ups.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    29.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I can't understand why all the over wilders and MalwareTips people are talking about this consent cookie stuff on firefox, up to now i have not seen it and all my filters for ublock and umatrix are the same, and I'm signed in, take a look below and see:
The issue is this cookie thing gets send out in batches. Not everyone gets it and its embedded server side. That's why most people complain. The privacy zealots make it bigger than it is, but it's nothing new. Google has always found ways around stuff, and others around that stuff, and it goes on in circles. If it works, it works. For me, it spawned a few days ago and keeping popping up every single freaking time. It's more annoyance at this point than me wanting to go around the consent.

Don't know anything about popups since it's not a popup. Cant give you much info there.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
As far as I know, cookie notice is shown to users coming from EU/EEA. If you're outside EU/EEA area, you won't get cookie notice.

If you are from EU/EEA and still don't see the cookie page, open YouTube in incognito tab. You should be redirected to consent.youtube.com when visiting youtube.com.

In case you're not from here, use VPN and connect to any EU country, then try to access YouTube in incognito tab. Then you'll see why is everyone complaining.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
As far as I know, cookie notice is shown to users coming from EU/EEA. If you're outside EU/EEA area, you won't get cookie notice.

If you are from EU/EEA and still don't see the cookie page, open YouTube in incognito tab. You should be redirected to consent.youtube.com when visiting youtube.com.

In case you're not from here, use VPN and connect to any EU country, then try to access YouTube in incognito tab. Then you'll see why is everyone complaining.
That's also something I almost forgot, indeed. Though I have read of any European country not part of the EU also getting it (UK and Norway). Seems like Google might treat it as a continental thing, rather than EU-GDPR response.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
That's also something I almost forgot, indeed. Though I have read of any European country not part of the EU also getting it (UK and Norway). Seems like Google might treat it as a continental thing, rather than EU-GDPR response.
UK is still considered as a part of the EU by a lot of companies. That will change in future as time passes.

Norway isn't part of EU, but it is part of EEA so all EU laws apply to them either. Switzerland isn't part of the EU and EEA, but it is part of single market (plus, they also have strict privacy laws).

Just tried to see if the cookie website will be shown to Ukranian IP—it isn't. So I think it's just in countries connected to the EU/EEA area.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Once my filters are working

You are using uBlock and uMatrix together. In uBo more specific rules (3p-script and 3p-frame)take precedence over more generic rules (3P). How do you play with these two overlapping mechanisms? Also block 3P in uBO blocks CSS in uMa (which you have you have allowed in uMa). So how do you whitelist stuff with uBO and uMa? What is your sequence of whitelisting to get your filters working, Champ?

I thought Gorhill dropped development of uMatrix? Not a worry for you?

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Umatrix isn't dead (geekprojects/nuTensor).
Also umatrix needs no block-list so it makes blocking new stuff easy it isn't just about security and malicious scripts. Perfectly legitimate sites have code I don't want running on my browser and I don't understand why you always asking me about overlapping, it is how you configure your stuff, mine works perfectly, that is my 2 cent worth Champ.

Reactions: Venustus

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
And on the topic of whitelisting look at the diagram below red is block green is allow so what you see green is what i have whitelisted per page not for a domain nor global.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.