Advice Request How fast do Chromium based browsers follow Google's Chrome updates/releases?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The only way to fight or confirm impressions or hearsay is by factual data. Therefore I am asking forum members using a Chromium based browser (.e.g Edge, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, Woolyss Chromium, Ungoogled, etc) to post when they receive an update which contains the security updates of Google's Chrome's latest.

To kick off with latest thread from MalwareTips Bot

May 20, 2020 Google Chrome 83.0.4103.61 has been released

When you use a different Chromium based browser please post when you received this update also

P.S.
For data gathering one confirmation per browser would be sufficient. When the mods also think this information ads value to the Browsers & Extension forum section, please make it a sticky. When this thread becomes a sticky (and members keep this a clean thread, with limited off topic posts) I promise to collect the data and publish it in a spreadsheets to monitor the update delay of different Chromium variants.

1589958955253.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks for everyone posting updates in this thread, based on the factual data collected by the members of MT it looks like

Brave and Edge are safe to use because of their quick responses to Google's Chrome six-week update cycle and patches. Woolyss Chromium and Woolyss Ungoogled Chromium are also good to go (considering their one man band operation is quite a feat that they are nearly always as fast as Edge and Brave ).

Other chromium based browsers (like Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex and other clones like the Ungoogled on Github) are not advised because of their (s)low update cycles (increasing the risk of misuse of browser vulnerabilities by malware writers).

Is that a correct conclusion in your opinion ( I can't open a poll afterwards, but I am intrested in your opinion THANKS @Spawn (y))

PLEASE VOTE AGREE/DISAGREE

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.