He's a fanboy of a particular antivirus
Really? Which one?
I'll do a few tests later today as an answer, I think that'll be enough
No. It will not be enough. I am not talking about grabbing some malware samples and Microsoft Defender detects them by either via signature or reputation. I am talking about when it does not detect by signature or by reputation.
What really matters is what the security solution does - or more importantly what it does not do - in a case where it is bypassed.
This is probably true for all security solutions:
It is true to some extent to all of them. Some more than others. Microsoft Defender is only a top signature detection solution. To provide truly effective security, Windows must be hardened. Microsoft Defender is not nearly enough. It is decent for "I download a file now-and-then" types of users.
People here fail to grasp the reality. The reality is that Windows - and Microsoft Defender - are the most targeted systems in userland. Daily, tens of thousands of threat actors are able to defeat Microsoft Defender. Even hardened systems get borked if they are not configured properly.
I suspect that
@bazang could have in mind that Microsoft Defender on default settings does not protect against banking trojans which already infected the system. Such protection usually includes a dedicated web browser and Network Protection to prevent anti-keyloggers, anti-screenloggers, connections to C2 servers, etc.
AVLab.pl has consistently shown that Microsoft Defender is not very good against banking trojans that get past the signatures. The evidence is irrefutable.
AVLab.pl has shown it to be true of both consumer and enterprise versions of Microsoft Defender. Same has been done by MRG Effitas and others.
Making a distinction between home and enterprise users is not helpful. It is a distraction from the fact that when it comes to banking trojans, Microsoft Defender is not as good as other solutions. That is because Microsoft never intended - by design - for Microsoft Defender to ever effectively deal with such malware. Defender is a limited-scope solution that is meant to be supplemented by fully integrating it into the full suite of Microsoft's other security. At the consumer\home user level, Microsoft makes Microsoft Defender the bare minimum baseline. It does not even want home users to tinker with it.
If the user is paranoid about doing financial transactions on their Windows system - as it appears the OP is, then Microsoft Defender is not sufficient. Period. It has been proven. Now whether or not the user will ever download and execute a banking trojan - nobody can say and therefore it is irrelevant. If it is possible, no matter how small the probability, then it matters to someone who has a heightened concern about "What could potentially happen?"
I work in regulated industries such as the financial and defense sectors. Nobody that I know of has ever used Bitdefender SafePay or Kaspersky SafeMoney. Not even enterprise versions. Those kinds of solutions cannot even satisfy the security requirements of the applicable regulations.
@bazang , I look forward to your comment
Yeah. So what? Detection by signature. Microsoft Defender is known to provide decent signature detection. That is not what I was ever talking about. I was talking about when it does not detect.
You do realize that thousands of malware get past Microsoft Defender every single day out in the real world, right? Do you know how to simulate such a real world scenario without disabling any protections?
Learn how to code your own banking trojan, then test it. You will see what I am talking about.