How Paranoid Are You ?

How Paranoid Are You ?

• Ultra-Paranaoid - I feel no security\privacy protections can ever be sufficient

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Very Paranoid - I often worry that my security\privacy protections are insufficient

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paranoid - I have occasional concerns and doubts about security\privacy protections

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Not Paranoid - I have little concern; my protections are sufficient

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Confident - I am in control of my security & privacy

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
I've ran two tests at ipleak.net tonight and there was no leak, Of course, the results from just two tests don't mean a lot. This is what Windscribe themselves, have to say about leaks.
Windscribe
The point is the leak shows your ISP, your country, so you are easy to trace. The test they ask you to do will NOT show up a random leak, as my friend said it took 4 weeks with testing many times a day to catch the leak two times

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I would be in-between 'Paranoid' and 'Confident', so 'Not Paranoid'. I have stopped using complicated security setups (with more than one security software or setting everything to max with enabling every option to max out the potential of that software) which looks all cool and awesome but in the end you get tired of all the conflicts and bugs. And figure why do I need all this when my internet hygiene does all the work along with OS and every software fully updated (especially the one talking to internet all the time: Browser) plus a fairly decent AV that doesn't slow you down too much. I don't even remember the last time my system was infected with malware or even an annoying toolbar.
Now I didn't choose 'Confident' cause with all the tracking and spying while browsing, cause of the way internet works. Somebody has to pay for all the cost of servers for all these websites which we browse for free, which I get. Nothing is free in this world.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Not Paranoid. Used to be paranoid a few years back but have since then learned to have a more relaxed mind when it comes to security\privacy. There is plenty of other things to stress about in life, I don't feel the need to stress over small things as this.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Paranoid is a strong word that implies a mental condition.

I'd categorize myself as being extremely observational and aware of privacy and security issues, and act accordingly. This is based off factual evidence and real world evaluation. The simple fact that I believe in the future we will likely pay a price for our recklessness with privacy and security and work to mitigate potential issues in advance. It's much easier to be private and secure ahead of time then to be reactionary and attempt to recover your privacy later. It is way harder to remove yourself from the internet than it is to reduce your exposure to it in the first place.

Make no mistake, it can cost you. The very moment you apply for a mortgage or lease, or put in a CV with a potential employer the first thing they do is hit Google and Social Media and start scouring it for information and a profile on you. I know someone that got denied a lease because of social media activity. I know someone else that got denied due to information on Linkedin. Insurance firms are already doing risk assessments based on your public searchable profiles. It's all very dystopian.

If you've already secured most of your privacy and anonymity then you have two choices. Insurance or leasing people will likely write off your absences from searches as no big deal. Potential employers might question it. At that point you can simply say you don't use social media much, since these days it's sort of 'a thing' to not use social media. Or you can do what many people I know do, they create a facade, a public personal that is exactly what they want people to see. Their private lives and true selves always masked from anyone other than themselves and family.

As for security, I like to take precautions and audit things. However it's what I do for a living so it's sort of a process I am used to. Personally, it's more of a hobby than anything - 'enthusiast' type of activity. Like a guy that works at GM goes home and works on his hot rod in the garage or something. Most security is a theater anyway. :ROFLMAO:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think the poll is backwards.

looking at the options, i would have selected Paranoid & Confident,

I have confidence in my setup & practices BECAUSE i am paranoid (security & privacy awareness) about online security & privacy.
Well said. That's the way it is supposed to be.

Thread author
I have confidence in my setup & practices BECAUSE i am paranoid (security & privacy awareness) about online security & privacy.

Well said. That's the way it is supposed to be.

Paranoia, by definition, is maladaptive behavior.

Paranoia has no place in security configurations. It is counter-productive to the person, and adds little to nothing to overall security.

Paranoid thinking and behaviors are not the same thing as caution as a measured response based upon knowledge & experience.

Paranoia leads people to do irrational things... like changing their security softs every other day or creating multi-layered defenses that go way above and beyond what is adequate. Paranoia is driven by fear and that fear is caused by not knowing - thinking you are being hacked or compromised in unknown, hidden ways because you lack understanding.

There is an even darker side to paranoia. There are those that intellectually know there is little to nothing to fear, but still they cannot control themselves. They can't control their paranoia. I know what I'm talking about, because once I get up past a meter off of the ground, I cannot control my fear of heights unless I stand back from the railing at least a quarter meter.

I am not interested in the IT industry's perversion of the meaning of the word "paranoia."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
The way I see it, with the mass data collection, online tracking, gps tracking, censorship by big tech, the weaponizing of it by governments and the ever evolving sophistication of malware if you are not “paranoid” meaning not diligently staying on top of your security and privacy protections you are already a victim.

Thread author
The way I see it, with the mass data collection, online tracking, gps tracking, censorship by big tech, the weaponizing of it by governments and the ever evolving sophistication of malware if you are not “paranoid” meaning not diligently staying on top of your security and privacy protections you are already a victim.

Being proactive and maintaining awareness is one thing. Constantly being concerned about stuff is not awareness, it is paranoia.

For example, making the reading of IT security news every day to see the latest and greatest hack, exploit or compromise at top priority and then running to adjust your config is not awareness. That is paranoia.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
In windows, for a person who does not know or who also knows. It is easy to become Panoico with the amount of vulnerabilities that exist ... But you have to take into account.

1: Am I so important to hacken?
2: Do I have a major bank or corporation?
3: Am I famous?
4: Am I a politician?
5: I move many amounts of money?
If not, live happily, friend::giggle:

Thread author
So we have two different definitions of paranoid. The original meaning, which is related to mental illness, and the adapted meaning, which means alert and diligent.

Most people operate their security configs on the basis of fear - and that is not awareness or diligence. That is paranoia.

All you have to do is talk to people and ask them the right questions and it becomes plainly obvious.

No one bothers to haul around a Galil assault rifle in public because they are aware and diligent. They do it because they are paranoid. They fear for their lives. I know from experience if you talk with most people who visit the security forums, you will get out of them that similar fear is why they sought out security forums in the first place, and why they use security softs.

Thread author
It should be plainly obvious to anyone who spends time on the security forums that people base a lot of their security actions upon emotions.

Anyone who gets a PhD in psychology and researches user psychology - specifically the psychology underlying IT security - can write their own ticket.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
  1. I do not fear of malware, so I am probably not paranoid.
  2. I know that I cannot fully secure my computer. I tried many times, but always found a loophole. So probably I am paranoid, anyway.
  3. I know that, the chance to be infected with my habits is very low, so I am probably confident.
Still trying to find the balance between usability & security & stability.
For me, the path to security is not related to the fear, but it is rather a challenge.:giggle:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Being proactive and maintaining awareness is one thing. Constantly being concerned about stuff is not awareness, it is paranoia.

For example, making the reading of IT security news every day to see the latest and greatest hack, exploit or compromise at top priority and then running to adjust your config is not awareness. That is paranoia.

Or it is simply staying one step ahead. ;)

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
  1. I do not fear of malware, so I am probably not paranoid.
  2. I know that I cannot fully secure my computer. I tried many times, but always found a loophole. So probably I am paranoid, anyway.
  3. I know that, the chance to be infected with my habits is very low, so I am probably confident.
Still trying to find the balance between usability & security & stability.
For me, the path to security is not related to the fear, but it is rather a challenge.:giggle:

If someone wants to break in to your home bad enough they are going to find away in, likewise, if someone wants on your system bad enough they will find a way in. The challenge is making it as difficult as possible for them to get in while making it was easy as possible for you to come an go as you please.

That is neither fear or paranoia it is simply act self preservation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.