How Paranoid Are You ?

How Paranoid Are You ?

• Ultra-Paranaoid - I feel no security\privacy protections can ever be sufficient

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Very Paranoid - I often worry that my security\privacy protections are insufficient

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paranoid - I have occasional concerns and doubts about security\privacy protections

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Not Paranoid - I have little concern; my protections are sufficient

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Confident - I am in control of my security & privacy

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Hmm knowlage/experience is not all paranoid..

Everyone who make some kind test or read exacly shoold know how sometimes AV can be usless againt viruses..
And ofering solid HIPS or Sandbox is nor paranoid for me is knowlage and experiance
Causei i know can use other software which meaby work diferent but can give me more options/power to monitor and cover my system.

Or another situation from 2nd side peoples use defaul setting system.... thiere is nothing here like default syste setting is just not configured system becasue user dont have experiance knolwage. How to setup normal account and set limit in GPO and other function

in linux this situation not exist casue during install, its require you for make 2 acc, root and local acc with passords.

Paranoid can be for peoples which use 2-3 cloud solution backup and yet 3 backup on 3 diferent disk^^ or using 2 exe-blocker with behavior blocker on foward

Thread author
No need to be paranoid. Basic privacy software/settings/VPN/extensions should be enough. I feel like I don't need a tin foil hat everyday.

~LDogg

VPN for online financial transactions using unsecured network makes perfect sense. Using VPN on home system, behind NAT router, for day-to-day surfing is overkill. In fact, it can break some home router protections.

Thread author
Just watch this thread... some people will get agitated and obviously upset.

Don't tell me that people don't get or are not way too emotionally involved in this stuff for their own good.

There is measured proactive - that makes sense, within norms. And then there is overkill. Most "overkill" isn't "just in case." It is done because of fear. Fear of the unknown. And that is emotionally-driven, which makes it paranoia.

Rational steps taken to the extreme becomes paranoia. It's the totality that makes it irrational, and therefore paranoia.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If someone wants to break in to your home bad enough they are going to find away in, likewise, if someone wants on your system bad enough they will find a way in. The challenge is making it as difficult as possible for them to get in while making it was easy as possible for you to come an go as you please.

That is neither fear or paranoia it is simply act self preservation.
That could be true for many people. :giggle:
But, I can feel the big difference. I can spend 10 times more hours on thinking &researching & testing the computer security topics than making my home more secure. Furthermore, I can think a lot about how the computers of other people could be more secure and do not think at all, about how to make their houses more secured. So, it is not a paranoia, but maybe a hobby + some kind of addiction?

Thread author
Voted "Confident..." but I think poll questions are a bit "twisted".

I know your security configuration and I know how you use it. You are a classic "Confident" user.

The poll has no tricks. The question and the answers are simple and straight-forward. The problem are the people who are assigning their own meaning to the word "paranoid." Paranoid does not mean attentive and proactive. No form of paranoia is healthy.

Thread author
There are not the poll questions that can fit to everybody. I think that many people here are slightly twisted in a positive way.:giggle:

Addicted and twisted. I don't know how those could ever be considered positive. Like the guy who codes for 10 days straight until we physically drag him away from the workstation because he stinks. :X3:

Reactions: Andy Ful

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
There are not the poll questions that can fit to everybody. I think that many people here are slightly twisted in a positive way.:giggle:
Yea for somes user window defender is far enought solid software with firewall ^^ there is no need to install other soft...
While in smb in pools use windows defense setting its marked as risk ^^

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
VPN for online financial transactions using unsecured network makes perfect sense. Using VPN on home system, behind NAT router, for day-to-day surfing is overkill. In fact, it can break some home router protections.
Totally agree. I think that was the sentiment I was trying to go, but my lack of explanation skills isn't top tier. Everything else is fine. :p

~LDogg

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I did a little research. The 'Paranoia' ('Paranoid') can be sometimes thought as 'Delusional disorder' ('Paranoid disorder'), especially in non-English languages. For example, in the Polish language, 'Paranoja' have the meaning of 'Delusional disorder'. In the English language the 'Paranoia' is usually heavily influenced by anxiety or fear. But, the 'Delusional disorder' may be influenced by something else.
I think that many people on MalwareTips uses the word 'Paranoid' as some kind of 'Delusional disorder'.
The experts also agree that "personal beliefs should be evaluated with great respect to cultural and religious differences, since some cultures have widely accepted beliefs that may be considered delusional in other cultures."(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Addicted and twisted. I don't know how those could ever be considered positive. Like the guy who codes for 10 days straight until we physically drag him away from the workstation because he stinks. :X3:
It is not healthy at all. I can feel it in my back.:notworthy:
But I am happy, that I am not on the Himalaya forum.:giggle:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.