How Paranoid Are You ?

How Paranoid Are You ?

• Ultra-Paranaoid - I feel no security\privacy protections can ever be sufficient

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Very Paranoid - I often worry that my security\privacy protections are insufficient

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paranoid - I have occasional concerns and doubts about security\privacy protections

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Not Paranoid - I have little concern; my protections are sufficient

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Confident - I am in control of my security & privacy

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, many of us did some stupid things (me too). There is nothing wrong in experimenting with several security applications, even when this is a torture to the system. The computer can serve also as a learning tool. The wrong thing is trolling other people and other software, or get too excited when someone has another point of view.
Let's be safe and cool.:emoji_pray::giggle:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Anyone that thinks security focused people are paranoid are actually ignorant.
Well said i thinked it too

Its look like fall from 1 site to 2nd side

Where blind believers which stay on nude system blame peoples which use few software to secure system based on thier knowlage/experience sometimes worst sometimes better... but still not ignore danger..

I offen had PC to fix when i worked in service with no solid software instaled on system...
If dont get virus its fine but if you got even little weak virus It can brutaly harm your system if you dont protect it... and than cry especially if smb still dont do backup for important files

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Some can be ignorant, and some security focused people can be paranoid.
I do not think that anyone here have in mind the medical 'Paranoid' diagnosis, buth rather the more common meaning = focusing on something that is hardly a real danger (bearing in mind the security applied) and ignoring some other dangerous factors.

Last edited:

Thread author

There are security focused and then there are paranoids.

Paranoid is someone who has 5 layers of security, 7 browser extensions, and still worry that they're privacy is compromised and being hacked in hidden, unknown ways. Meanwhile they have a credit card, a debit card, bank accounts, online accounts, have a doctor, a dentist, a grocery store, they have an auto and auto insurance, pay rent to a landlord, etc... all of them having that person's personal data on their unsecure systems. It just goes to the saying "What people don't know won't make them crazy...". Wrong, the stuff they should worry about they don't because they don't know, and the stuff they worry about is needlessly wasted emotional and mental effort.

Doing things based upon feelings instead of a measured, calm response is fear-driven paranoia.

Thread author
Do I worry that Google is tracking me like big brother or do I go online using Chrome and use Google search ?

Do I get upset when a soft I like does poorly in some AV test lab assessment or do I realize that test doesn't mean much of anything ?

Do I fret about my local system security configuration or do I take measures with my financial accounts against the real threat - which is my data on unsecured 3rd party systems ?

Do I know how banking trojans work ? Do I know that a banking trojan only works on specific banking websites ? Or do I worry that some banking trojan will wipe out my bank account at the Podunk unknown, and therefore untargeted, bank that I use ?

Do I know that protected (isolated) browsers isolate the browser from an already infected system ? That if it is needed then my system is already compromised ?

Do I understand that exploits are almost entirely within the realm of unpatched software ? And that malc0ders target the most popular, widely-distributed software ?

Do I understand that malware and infection are a numbers game ?

Do I know that malc0ders are not going to waste a really valuable exploit on home users ?

Am I capable of keeping all of the IT security news in perspective ? In other words, do I know that almost everything reported in the IT security news is blown way out of proportion ?

"But it's not normal to see Ghosts where there are none, that would be Paranoia"

When it comes to IT security, a whole lot of people see ghosts, hear voices, see devils, and worry about demons. All driven by feelings... fear of the unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
Meanwhile... while people are crafting impenetrable fortress configurations on Windows, they are simultaneously using Android and downloading unknown apps onto their phones, buying stuff online with said Android phone, logging into bank accounts, doing transactions, etc. Perhaps using some Android AV and\or VPN - really thinking using those has made their Android safe.

Yeah... awesome sauce.

The terminators will kill us all.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm not paranoid at the level of: "I need fourty seven security products and an AppGuard Giveaway", rather than that I live simple by one antivirus like Kaspersky or a default-deny solution. But despite what security solution I use or how safe my habits are, I always live by the eternal fear that whatever I do, whatever I try to be safe, there will be someone able to break through it. So, stay on the line and don't piss anybody LOL

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I will comment on the premise that he calls a worried person who is excited about adding additional security so as to fill in the hole of uneasy feelings.
I feel that they have the desire to continue to be "self being hacked". Even if we hear the reference opinion, they accept only the words that are convenient for "myself being hacked", and the other words will truncate "what you can not understand with your knowledge". They are not seeking opinions, they just collect convenient words.

Thread author
Get the privacy fanatics to participate in the poll and the ultra-paranoid group will shoot right to the top.

I know the type.. they run Linux Tails and then run a VPN with multi-hop inside of Tor along with Tor browser and multiple browser extensions inside of VM on Windows. They might even run a VPN inside of an anonymization service such as JonDoNym outside of the VM for the Windows system. This is on top of multiple software and hardware security such as complex IP routing tables, UTM, IDS, etc.

What I describe above is not some fantasy. They're are people who actually do this for their day-to-day security - and they don't live under some oppressive regime.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Get the privacy fanatics to participate in the poll and the ultra-paranoid group will shoot right to the top.

I know the type.. they run Linux Tails and then run a VPN with multi-hop inside of Tor along with Tor browser and multiple browser extensions inside of VM on Windows. They might even run a VPN inside of an anonymization service such as JonDoNym outside of the VM for the Windows system. This is on top of multiple software and hardware security such as complex IP routing tables, UTM, IDS, etc.

What I describe above is not some fantasy. They're are people who actually do this for their day-to-day security - and they don't live under some oppressive regime.

That person is a genius !. A question with so much program can navigate?:eek::LOL:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

I know the type.. they run Linux Tails and then.... … - and they don't live under some oppressive regime.

I do all of this - inside my solar powered but otherwise stock 1965 Dodge Dart with a frequency modulator and sonar transponder. I simply love unadulterated FM radio. :love:

Thread author
I do all of this - inside my solar powered but otherwise stock 1965 Dodge Dart with a frequency modulator and sonar transponder. I simply love unadulterated FM radio. :love:

I put on my tin foil hat, bark at the moon, get down to my skivvies, and do the twirl and dosie-doe right at the wood line. It gives the Grizzlies such a fright. The caribou and the moose don't seem to mind. The wolverine, it don't say too much. It just kinda stares at you because it can't make sense of what you're doing.

Thread author
Personally, I think the poll results are bogus. I think people are more paranoid than they would have others believe.

I remember when the CCleaner "compromise" was announced. Half the people around here at MT freaked-out and immediately stopped using it. Their reaction was driven by emotions, and not grounded in any kind of reality. Probably 9/10s didn't even understand what had happened. All they saw reported was "hack" or "compromise" and that was enough to make them stop using CCleaner, despite there never being any actual active threat. There were page after page of trash posts about CCleaner. To this day there are many people who will not use CCleaner, because it is "compromised." That's just plain ridiculous. That's 100 % paranoid behavior.

You know why I am trying to get away from CCleaner ? Because they used a sales pop-up a few months ago.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.