How Paranoid Are You ?

How Paranoid Are You ?

• Ultra-Paranaoid - I feel no security\privacy protections can ever be sufficient

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Very Paranoid - I often worry that my security\privacy protections are insufficient

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paranoid - I have occasional concerns and doubts about security\privacy protections

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Not Paranoid - I have little concern; my protections are sufficient

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Confident - I am in control of my security & privacy

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Thread author
The Ultra-Paranoid run this distro: DistroWatch.com: Linux Kodachi

The Hyper-Paranoid run this other distro: DistroWatch.com: Qubes OS

But they are far from reaching the top... :p

There's a difference between doing security based upon smarts versus one based upon fear.

When it comes down to it, the only way you can assess, for sure, whether a person is doing stuff based upon fear or as a rational response is to observe them over an extended period of time.

Based upon my years of observation of online posts and what people do, most people approach security almost wholly upon their emotions... their fear.

"There are threats so I carry a big stick" is all fear.

"There are 1000 ways I can be attacked, so I need to make a top priority to implement layered security that prevents all 1000 ways" is absolutely paranoid behavior.

"AV XYZ only got 95 % score in latest AV-Lab test so I won't use it, but I will still keep using Windows" is just plain ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
I think at the beginning everyone. We have been paranoid, then, over time, you realize that there is no 100% security.:giggle:

It has reached the point where I do not mention security to anyone in-person. If they bring it up I will discuss it, but only after asking them questions. Most of the time, the best solution for the person I am talking to is for them to use Chromebook - with the caveat not to use unknown Android apps and stay away from unknown Chrome browser extensions. Like anything... the security is user-dependent.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It has reached the point where I do not mention security to anyone in-person. If they bring it up I will discuss it, but only after asking them questions. Most of the time, the best solution for the person I am talking to is for them to use Chromebook - with the caveat not to use unknown Android apps and stay away from unknown Chrome browser extensions. Like anything... the security is user-dependent.
Yes, but we are so accustomed to Windows, that people do not think about anything else, I for example use windows because it is more fun. It must also be said that companies work with Windows. You can not change the World.

Thread author
You can not change the World.

Someone said that back in the days of 8-track tapes and VCRs.

Anyone younger than 30 wouldn't know what those are. 8-track tapes went out during the 1970s. Some 8-track tapes are worth a lot of money... they're treated like antiquities.

The first organization or person that comes up with a viable solution to the Windows problem (alternative to Windows) will be the world's first trillionaire. Of that statement, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever. It is a certainty. (Well, technically, Apple is already a trillionaire organization... but you know what I meant. "Hometown wonder-boy makes good. Is now world's first trillionaire with his high-flyin' OS. Microsoft files for bankruptcy.")

Thread author
"I am confident because I am paranoid."

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I am paranoid enough to have 4 external backups. My main concern would be losing 13 years of treasured photographs & thousands of music FLAC albums + heaps of MP3 files - Having those risks IMO should invoke anyone to have a good backup system. Though I've used Windows since version 3 yet (so far) only had one piece of malware at large a worm Benjamin. Of course many have been blocked & I can boot into Mint but overall pleased with Windows & think 10 is the best so far. Ransom-ware does worry me, though maybe my only concern.

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
When you understand that any program you have to protect or hide yourself TPTB have a better one to crack it, you just get on with life and use the best VPN and AV you have money for to protect yourself from the every day attacks.
I never use TOR as its cracked and I see it as a honey trap, also I have no need to. Im not saying that TPTB are all powerful, they are not, but they are a hell of a lot more powerful than any program we can use to "defend" our self's
So defend yourself so the punks can get you, and live with the fact that you are never a 100% safe.
Enjoy life.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Some people in security forums are twisted, they believe gov agencies are spying them, it is true in a sense but it is passive spying (unless you become a "person of interest"), hoping to catch potential inside enemies who may use specific words/behaviors.
Gov agencies don't need to know your little dirty secrets by infecting you with a 0-minute "state-of-the-art" malware, they will just ask your bank, phone/internet providers the details.

When i see those fools trying to hide behind dozen of sec apps, privacy extensions and VPNs to thwart PRISM, i can't help to laugh...

tech giants collect your datas, sure, but they will not hurt you with them, they won't expose your nude pictures or dirty mails.

instead of fearing the tech giants or gov agencies, people should focus on protecting themselves from their friendly neighbor who is a stalker/pervert/hacker trying to get real infos about you and maybe blackmail/steal you...

Thread author
For most people, a VPN makes no technical or practical sense for day-to-day web surfing.

On the other hand, most people who use a VPN do so because they're paranoid (and obviously don't know any better).

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Some people in security forums are twisted, they believe gov agencies are spying them, it is true in a sense but it is passive spying (unless you become a "person of interest"), hoping to catch potential inside enemies who may use specific words/behaviors.
Gov agencies don't need to know your little dirty secrets by infecting you with a 0-minute "state-of-the-art" malware, they will just ask your bank, phone/internet providers the details.

When i see those fools trying to hide behind dozen of sec apps, privacy extensions and VPNs to thwart PRISM, i can't help to laugh...

tech giants collect your datas, sure, but they will not hurt you with them, they won't expose your nude pictures or dirty mails.

instead of fearing the tech giants or gov agencies, people should focus on protecting themselves from their friendly neighbor who is a stalker/pervert/hacker trying to get real infos about you and maybe blackmail/steal you...
I agree with you, but we should remember as tec advances it becomes easier to spy on every one

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
For most people, a VPN makes no technical or practical sense for day-to-day web surfing.

On the other hand, most people who use a VPN do so because they're paranoid (and obviously don't know any better).
I use a VPN and a good AV for the same reason I make sure I lock my door when I leave home, it keep most of the people I dont want getting into my home

Reactions: bribon77

Jimbo791

Level 2
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
If you live in the U.S. or Eurozone, you leave an extensive digital trail without ever even using a PC. I don't need to spy on you via your PC or online activities to get almost everything I need of your personal datas.
Personal info is like money, one can never get enough of it. As I said one cant stop the TPTB, but why make it easy for the punks ?

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017

What if you just don't want them to have it?

What if you don't want to live in a glass house where your online life is laid bare for all to see?
Oh but they won't come inside they will just have their face smashed against the glass peering in taking notes on everything you do.

What if instead you just want to fight back by using every means at your disposal, like dozens of security apps, privacy extensions, and VPNs to thwart it?

Does it make you a fool or does it make you normal?

Thread author
What if instead you just want to fight back by using every means at your disposal, like dozens of security apps, privacy extensions, and VPNs to thwart it?

Your efforts are based upon principle. And there is nothing wrong with that. Fighting for what one believes in is what billions of people should do. However, in practical terms, you are not preventing anyone from grabbing your personal datas - if they really want to get it. Piling all those security apps, privacy extensions, and VPNs don't do one single thing except drive you crazy.

All the privacy stuff online fails to mention the one thing you have little to no control over - and the one thing where just about anyone can grab your personal infos - and that is your datas on 3rd party systems. Not to mention that you are likely using Windows. Everyone wants to point the finger at Google, but Microsoft does the exact same thing, but they just do it differently.. And VPNs are one of the biggest scams. A VPN is a waste of money and resources for day-to-day surfing.

To make a dent in privacy, millions of millions of people would have to work simultaneously together and make governments take notice that they aren't going to tolerate privacy invasion. That ain't ever gonna happen because of people being themselves.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Everything about a person is already known the first time one applies for a credit card, loan, or mortgage. Thinking that all of this data, already in the public domain, will somehow be reversed by adding a VPN is absurd.

Guys- it pains me to say this, but we are just not that important. No one- except those that wish to sell us something (like shoes)- couldn't give a damn about what websites we visit.

Thread author
Everything about a person is already known the first time one applies for a credit card, loan, or mortgage. Thinking that all of this data, already in the public domain, will somehow be reversed by adding a VPN is absurd.

Guys- it pains me to say this, but we are just not that important. No one- except those that wish to sell us something (like shoes)- couldn't give a damn about what websites we visit.

Follow any discussion about privacy extensions, or privacy generally, and the ignorance is just massive. There are so many holes in privacy configs that it makes the whole effort worthless. When one points this out to the privacy fanatics, they freak out... and, of course, you're "bashing" their stuff. Predictable.

Their efforts are about as effective as a tin foil hat. The sad part is that many won't even consider re-assessing their position and efforts based upon accurate infos. Of all the groups of people online, it is the privacy Nazis that are the craziest. Not just paranoid, but plainly bonkerz.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.