How Paranoid Are You ?

How Paranoid Are You ?

• Ultra-Paranaoid - I feel no security\privacy protections can ever be sufficient

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Very Paranoid - I often worry that my security\privacy protections are insufficient

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paranoid - I have occasional concerns and doubts about security\privacy protections

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Not Paranoid - I have little concern; my protections are sufficient

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Confident - I am in control of my security & privacy

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Thread author
The government is a pack of liars...

Lies.gif

and the government secret security services put nano agents in my spaghetti...

Creepy.gif

and they have set their No. 1 agent Mecha-Godzilla on me...

MechaGodzilla.gif

so I'm taking me and my family underground into my tin foil hat chamber...

200w.gif

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
There is little doubt our govt. can be exceptionally evil and often views citizens (eaters) with disdain, conducts dangerous experiences against citizens and is involved in some pretty serious cover-ups and suppression of critical knowledge and technologies. Honestly, it would be pretty smart to be exceedingly skeptical and discerning with all things related to our government.

I never trust the govt. (local or otherwise) to provide me with anything without a backup and taking precautions. Flint Michigan residents that didn't trust their govt. to provide clean water were safe, everyone else was poisoned as one example. (among many thousands) Governments are largely parasitical entities and all parasites should be approached with caution.

In the USA Citizen trust in Govt. was around 70-80% in the 1950's and 1960's. Now it's 18%. Woke.

Top 10 US Government Experiments Done On Its Own Citizens - Listverse

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
That's America, but lets say north korea, people live in isolated place, taught from childhood they have to worship their leader and are slaves entire life. Some of the citizens probably doesn't even know what internet is. Isn't the dictatorship some form of paranoia of losing control over citizens? They claim they have "hackers" too.. right.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is little doubt our govt. can be exceptionally evil and often views citizens (eaters) with disdain, conducts dangerous experiences against citizens and is involved in some pretty serious cover-ups and suppression of critical knowledge and technologies. Honestly, it would be pretty smart to be exceedingly skeptical and discerning with all things related to our government.

I never trust the govt. (local or otherwise) to provide me with anything without a backup and taking precautions. Flint Michigan residents that didn't trust their govt. to provide clean water were safe, everyone else was poisoned as one example. (among many thousands) Governments are largely parasitical entities and all parasites should be approached with caution.

In the USA Citizen trust in Govt. was around 70-80% in the 1950's and 1960's. Now it's 18%. Woke.

Top 10 US Government Experiments Done On Its Own Citizens - Listverse

Governments themselves are not necessarily evil. Politicians and corporations dictate how governments function. It was politicians and political appointees who messed with Flint's water system, not the career administrators and technicians. The career bureaucrat in a government office is often doing the best job he can. It is the politicos, corps and political appointees running those agencies who screw things up. In Michigan in the 70's it was PBBs in feed grain and contaminated milk and milk products. Government agencies and technocrats actually discovered the source of the problem. Public servants are usually just that, regular people trying to do a good job. Remember The Peter Principle: incompetents rise to the top in most organizations, private or not. Political appointees and the people behind them are the real culprits.

Otherwise, all that I'm certain of is this:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Get the privacy fanatics to participate in the poll and the ultra-paranoid group will shoot right to the top.

I know the type.. they run Linux Tails and then run a VPN with multi-hop inside of Tor along with Tor browser and multiple browser extensions inside of VM on Windows. They might even run a VPN inside of an anonymization service such as JonDoNym outside of the VM for the Windows system. This is on top of multiple software and hardware security such as complex IP routing tables, UTM, IDS, etc.

What I describe above is not some fantasy. They're are people who actually do this for their day-to-day security - and they don't live under some oppressive regime.

Laugh now but the the way the world is going, the political divisions, censorship laws, media manipulation etc... this level of security will soon be a necessity just to voice your opinion without fear in the western world.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I just read this thread and i loved it.
@Lockdown some of your posts are great fun to read and the one about CCleaner show's to everyone the meaning of the poll.
As for my self after 4 years here in MT i think i am Not Paranoid.
But before that i think i was a little paranoid about my security.
These days i am not concerned about my security because i am only using my wifes pc
my laptop is never connected to the internet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thread author
I just read this thread and i loved it.
@Lockdown some of your posts are great fun to read and the one about CCleaner show's to everyone the meaning of the poll.
As for my self after 4 years here in MT i think i am Not Paranoid.
But before that i think i was a little paranoid about my security.
These days i am not concerned about my security because i am only using my wifes pc
my laptop is never connected to the internet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, the whole reaction to the CCleaner "compromise" was a joke.

I remember many years ago... in the XP days. Tzuk just came out with Sandboxie. I remember putting so many security apps on my systems I couldn't keep it alive for more than a day or two. Always clean installing XP and starting over again. That's back in the day when Windows CDs were shipped with a PC.

So, I DO know what I'm talking about when I discuss paranoia. At one time, everything I did online was fear-driven because I just didn't know. My natural reaction was to create - or at least I thought I could - create the impenetrable PC fortress.

There are always those that get upset when I make these paranoia threads. Well that's just too bad. It is important to bring light to the darkness... to expose the darkness for what it is - which is mostly superstitition and fear of a non-existent boogeyman.

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, Windows PCs and IT security are the fabled Baba Yaga and they behave accordingly. And unfortunately, there are those with a vested interest in promoting the Baba Yaga myth.

The worst group are the privacy Nazis. They needlessly spread fear.

Nowadays, I treat Windows security like mowing the grass... it is just something I do that has some useful purpose, but technically isn't a necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Ok that Bada Yaga just throwed of the chair:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But again you are so right and i really like reading these kind of threads because i do learn useful things about security

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Thread author
Some people replied, "I am not paranoid, because the threats are real, so my extreme precautions are rational and justified."
That's your paranoids right there.

That argument is so terribly flawed from a technical perspective.

However, in terms of psychology and fear of the unknown (= paranoia), it makes perfect sense.

Person: "I am not paranoid because I carry a big stick."

Sigmund Freud's reply: "Carrying the stick in the first place makes you a paranoid."

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That argument is so terribly flawed from a technical perspective.

However, in terms of psychology and fear of the unknown (= paranoia), it makes perfect sense.

Person: "I am not paranoid because I carry a big stick."

Sigmund Freud's reply: "Carrying the stick in the first place makes you a paranoid."
"If the bogeyman is really out to get me, then I am just being rational." That is the argument of every paranoid.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Lockdown after post #111 you are my favorite comedian:ROFLMAO:
You just made my day a lot better and thank you for that, fun and informative at the same time

Reactions: In2an3_PpG

Thread author
@Lockdown after post #111 you are my favorite comedian:ROFLMAO:
You just made my day a lot better and thank you for that, fun and informative at the same time

It's funny because it is true.

"Airports are dangerous."

"No, the people in airports are dangerous."

"Well... we don't know who is dangerous, so let's just search everyone's draws. I'm not doing it, so y'all better hire some more people."

"CCleaner suxx. It was "almost" compromised a single time. But I will still keep using Windows even though it has been compromised millions upon millions of times."

The poll results do not jive with the way people think and act on the forums. Most people replying "Not Paranoid" are probably the exact opposite by the technical definition of the word paranoia.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.