Battle How to compare software in terms of resource usage?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I currently have KIS 2019 on my computer, but I would like to try ESET Internet Security, How exactly should I measure how much of resources is KIS using to compare it to ESET later?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

There are benchmarking programs out there such as PCMark. However, it is much more easy for you to assess all on your own which one works best for you on your specific system. I would just trial ESET instead of making it a complicated scientific study.

Anyhow, ESET is going to use less system resources, but that does not mean it will be significantly faster than Kaspersky. Sometimes the differences are like splitting hairs.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Thanks for your answer, but I would still prefer to do some kind of measurement. Is there a tool that tracks resource usage of individual processes?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Exact. Process Hacker is really useful also to find malware on the system.
Sorry, I should've formulated my question better. I'm aware of the ability of Process Hacker to measure bytes of memory usage, but I'd love to see some kind of "graph" - like some kind of a continuos record of memory usage 1 hour ago or so, if you know, what I mean...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Such graph would be useless. Resource usage would depend on computer activity at the moment. Even if you tried to replicate everything you are doing you'd have no control on which background tasks are being launched by Windows and the software in your computer.

ESET will use less resources as @Lockdown said. System performance is quite similar with Kaspersky causing a higher boot delay than ESET.

Anyway that varies both by hardware and software configuration so the only way to know for sure is testing them on your machine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.